It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You don't have to imagine it. Several people here have already gone on the record with that exact reaction.

2. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

You're entitled to it, music is subjective after all. You've said that U2 aren't a guitar band, Edge isn't an iconic guitarist and that he pretty much blows when it comes to playing. I think you just don't like U2. Heck I'm not mad crazy on their output over the last 20+ years but Edge is continually listed in these best guitarists of all time polls, he's one of the most original guitarists of all time and he has been a massive part of approximately nine brilliant albums.

Yes I can appreciate that he didn't look the part next to Jimmy Page but not many do! Edge isn't a shredder. He won't pick a guitar off a shop rack and astound you with some runs. However as part of a band set-up he is capable of amazing plenty of people and U2's longevity is testament to his guitar skills.

3. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Dean Deleo
    J Mascis
    Chuck Berry
    Prince

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I actually thought The Edge came across as genuinely nice person. It's moments like these I remember why I kept at least five U2 albums:righton:

DHamilton, audiotom, BGLeduc and 2 others like this.
  5. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I laugh at the idea that the Edge just uses effects pedals and it's cheating blah etc. Because apparently when Page & Big Jim Sullivan started using fuzz boxes around 1964 some of the older session players thought it was cheating. "You're just making a noise come out of a box!" etc etc

madsurfer and Norco74 like this.
  6. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

That's a great list of guitar players.

7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

John Frusciante. I agree, Edge had no business in the movie.

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Why does the film have to appeal to the 80s generation?

audiotom likes this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

No bonafide riffs? The Fly, The Electric Co., Discotheque, etc.

To me The Edge is a lot more than what you describe. If you think it is all repetitive droning, check out songs like Mofo or One. And what do you mean by mediocre rhythm strumming? He isn't playing out of time or badly, it is in the pocked and tight with the rest of the rhythm section, which makes it not mediocre but rather quite good

10. sunking101

I think it was more about styles. The three different guitarists were well chosen really, they appeal to different people. I'm not a Jack White fan but I can see why he was picked.

stewedandkeefed and eddiel like this.
  11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The guitar intro to Where the Streets Have No Name always gave me chills and goose bumps, from the first time I heard it before Joshua Tree even came out, and it still does. And, while pretty much anyone can play it, The Edge actually came up with it.

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You could argue that the electric guitar is cheating. "If you're such a good player, make it sound cool with just one mic and a beat up Gibson acoustic...."

13. HotelYorba101

As a guitar player there is no fooling, I mean you may not like it, but to say that The Edge's guitar work (the only chordal instrument in U2's lineup sans for occasional keyboard parts) isn't the harmonic driving force of their music is a bit well... wrong.

14. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

So really you want to replace The Edge in the movie because he doesn't play enough notes?

15. sunking101

Best not replace him with BB King or Peter Green then!:D

16. HotelYorba101

To me as a guitar player, as long as it sounds good I don't consider anything cheating really - because after all music is just an arbitrary collection of sounds and to me there is no point in saying that one way of arriving at an arbitrary collection of sounds pleasing to some people's ears is better or worse than another

Not to turn this thread into a "what is music" discussion though haha

And overall, one mic and a beat up acoustic definitely serves a purpose. However all in all how boring would music be if everything had to serve the same singular purpose? That is why to me The Edge is great, his guitar sounds and soundscapes serve a purpose. It ain't the same purpose as Jimmy Page's fingers flying on the fretboard during Dazed and Confused's fast section, but then again it wasn't trying to be that to begin with

petem1966 and Oliver like this.
  17. Our Andall

Our Andall Well-Known Member

Fripp
    Belew
    Steve Hackett
    Steve Vai
    Steve Howe

18. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There's been a few sensible answers in this thread so far and this is one of them.

The producers of the movie chose who they chose due to their impact across three different generations.

ohnothimagen and petem1966 like this.
  20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Thank you. Add Egberto Gismonti to the list for your kindness! Not rock anymore but since we are discussing guitarists and style!

21. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Interesting choice! It seems to me the idea, though, was to represent 3 generations of guitarist and Page and Young would have been to close in age, especially compared with White. But still, that would have made an interesting film.

I also like the idea of J Mascis because J is, indeed, an iconic guitar player. It's just that the average person isn't aware of that.

22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I want to preface this by saying with the exception of about 2 songs, I absolutely HATE U2 and can't stand the Edge's playing.

That being said, him being included in It Might Get Loud was a good inclusion and gave me more appreciation for Edge and U2. I don't think there is any need for any substitution.

23. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Keith Levene has an opinion on how original The Edge was.

24. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Tom Keifer would have been interesting...he's actually a good blues guitar player and would fit in the style on Jimmy and Jack.

HOWEVER, The Edge was a nice counterpoint to the other two (atmosphere, texture, subtlety, etc). Too much rock music is derived from blues, IMHO.

Jose Jones and petem1966 like this.
  25. Django

Django Forum Resident

I would have replaced Jack White. I like some white stripes & some his other stuff, but way overrated as a guitarist.

petem1966 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.