The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Drove times up in an hour. Lots to report. FOUR shows heard today. A personal record. :D

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  2. warewolf95

Anyone got any good pics of Jerry from 1995?

All i can ever picture is the grimacing, pained looking sad Jerry.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I do not recall anyone eating just one. Like a certain brand of potato chip. ;)

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes, I don't think it was actually mescaline, I did similar research a few years ago. It didn't seem like acid only weaker though; it had its own character although I suppose it could have been LSD, but I don't remember it being that weak...

5. bzfgt

True...

6. warewolf95

So today i listened to:

3 28 91
    3 29 91
    3 31 91
    4 01 91

Fantastic. Some thoughts so far, since ive begun this casual re-marathon , its been nice not listening to make a review etc. Just throw it on and go lol.

Secondly, for all the shows Bruce has missed so far there still wasnt a dud kr even the usual "tired" show. Vince held his own. Not amazingly, but he was there and was jist fine. I wasnt pining for Bruce the whole time cuz the shows were still that good.

That being said, theres been a distinct lack of full on, start to finish amazeballs shows. The standard base quality level has been excellent bit the X Factor has been pretty limited to either jist a set or a few sobgs each night.

Except for a few gigs.

3 31 91
    4 01 91

DAVID RELEASE THESE RIGHT NOW YOU SWINE! THE GREATER LISTENING PUBLIC NEEDS THESE IN THEIR LIFE IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

xoxo Love ya Lemieux ;)

Peace guys. I think tomorrow will be a non Dead day.

Also, everyone blame @ianuaditis for making me want to revisit the year. :)

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

3/31/91 and 4/1/91 won't sound any better on an official release than they do now in their unofficial versions

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

They're a smart bunch over there.

I meant by 'usual places' someplace besides the archive. Can that even be done with the torrents and whatnot, or is it just re-transmitting sets that have already been circulating?

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Someone would have to compile the sources into a torrent. Generally what’s on the archive is what is in the usual places, but there are things on LL that aren’t on the archive. Unfortunately I can’t check right now since my computer is at the office.

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  10. Regarding Rock Scully's memoir, written with Dave Dalton: I don't think G. Gordon Liddy is the character you mean to refer to- if you're thinking of Scully's cellmate in Federal prison, that was H. R. Haldeman. I would have liked to have heard some more of those details, too.

Reading that book, I got the distinct impression that the chronology of events, as recollected, was sometimes wildly out of whack.

To get another, somewhat deeper glimpse into Garcia's most reclusive years of retreat into cocaine and heroin addiction in the 1980s, check out the memoir by the late Tom Davis (of Franken and Davis). Davis was Garcia's frequent guest/roommate for at least part of the time he was living in Hepburn Heights in San Rafael (in Scully's basement, iirc.) I suppose you probably have some inkling that those years weren't exactly the most scintillating and inspired era for either Jerry or the band.

(also, technical note on details found in some other posts: mcg, not mg, pleez. 1000x distinctions are non-trivial errors.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    JRM, warewolf95, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Davis was the real 'head of this team, he recruited Al. You many know this, but I just wanted to say it.

But then I was recruited by someone else also. I'm not really casting aspertions.

warewolf95, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't think I've ever listened to the complete and unedited version of 11/19/73 before - only the Dick's Picks version. The "remember your hippie training" introductory talk by Phil, Bobby, and Jerry alone is worth a listen for historical value (that quote courtesy of Jerry). Although Dick cherry picked quite well, there was plenty of good stuff left on the cutting room floor, and I haven't yet even gotten to the Phil solo that was edited out of the big jam. It would be nice if they'd revisit some of these early releases and give us a warts and all version with upgraded Plangent Processed sound, but probably not going to happen.

13. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Also the bonus tracks on Cats Under the Stars. Those are some of my favorites out of everything Jerry ever graced with his presence.

And yeah, the Godchauxs brought many good things into the world of the Dead, that is for sure.

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

but then we can have hdcd encoding :)

15. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Would be a great box set idea - full versions of edited shows in the Dick’s Picks series. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, the filler from 10, 12, 14, filler from 13 and 17, 18, 24, filler from 27, filler from 29 and 30, 31, 35, and the filler from 36 would all be candidates. Could have some fun name like Latvala’s Secret Stash or something and make up 1-3 box sets.

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

While nice thought, I do hope they focus on unreleased material instead of revisiting older stuff

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Which we wouldn’t have on an official release anyway, and which wouldn’t make any difference in a recording from a DAT master, but of course you knew all that already :cool:

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Remember that Phil was responsible for many of those cuts and missing pieces, and he’s still around, although who knows if he still cares or has any influence over current release decisions.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't think he does. If I recall right, he nixed 2/19/71 which was later released. But I thought some of that DP1 bass solo was lost in a reel change.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  20. bzfgt

21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I was at that run... 8/5, 8/6, 8/7 '90.. all three shows were great and of course the live 2CD comp of the run is really well done. Some gems of course were left off but what's there is primo, fo' sho'

22. Billy_Sunday

Were you at the Dec '92 Oakland run??

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. Billy_Sunday

FW '69... I decided I NEEDED to give these shows a proper listen ... it had been a while, (if at all). As usual, I'm sure I had at least some of the run on cassette back in my collecting days, but it had been a long time since listening to any of it. I still regret deciding not to buy the box when it was announced! I got the emails.... I was aware it was happening... but was more or less of the opinion "this stuff mostly circulates already anyway, why spend $99 on it...?"

Well, hindsight, and all that.... yadda yadda, should'a, could'a, etc.

Couple years ago the 4 shows hit the "usual spaces" -- and it has taken me until now to finally get around to them!

2/27/69
    I: Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Doin' That Rag, Cryptical Envelopment> Drums> The Other One> Cryptical Envelopment
    II: Dupree's Diamond Blues> Mountains Of The Moon> Dark Star*> St. Stephen*> The Eleven> Turn On Your Lovelight
    E: Cosmic Charlie

Solid show. I think the shortest of the 4 nights. DS>SS ended up on Live/Dead. I really liked Jerry on acoustic for the first 2 songs of the 2nd set... very cool. And that > into Dark Star is cool... Jerry puts away the acoustic, band still playing, and then his electric kicks in.... beautiful moment!

2/28/69
    I: Morning Dew, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Doin' That Rag, I'm A King Bee, Turn On Your Lovelight
    II: Cryptical Envelopment> The Other One> Cryptical Envelopment> Dark Star> St. Stephen> The Eleven> Death Don't Have No Mercy, Alligator> Drums> Alligator> Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)> Feedback> And We Bid You Goodnight

Great Dew to open the show! Jerry hits a kind of sour note on the intro, but manages to bend it into submission.... short first set, first song probably the highlight. Super long 2nd set... TOO and especially the back end of Cryptical, holy moly Batman! Another great Dark Star, and the whole ending sequence, wow, they were ON!

3/1/69
    I: Cryptical Envelopment> The Other One> Cryptical Envelopment> New Potato Caboose> Doin' That Rag> Cosmic Charlie
    II: Dupree's Diamond Blues> Mountains Of The Moon, Dark Star> St. Stephen> The Eleven> Turn On Your Lovelight
    E: Hey Jude

I guess they wanted to mix the setlist up a bit - opened the show with a big Other One Suite. New Potato was nicely done, Doin' That Rag seemed a bit rough, as did the previous 2.... Again, Jerry on acoustic to open set 2, very pleasant. No ">" into Dark Star this time.... good closing sequence though 2/28 may have been a little stronger. Hey Jude is pretty rough overall but cool that they even pulled it off at all. Not something I will go out of my way to listen to very soon...

3/2/69
    I: Doin' That Rag, Dark Star> St. Stephen> The Eleven> Turn On Your Lovelight
    II: Cryptical Envelopment> Drums> The Other One> Cryptical Envelopment> Death Don't Have No Mercy*> Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)> Feedback*> And We Bid You Goodnight*

Best Doin' That Rag of the run! Tight ending for once! And the big Dark Star sequence in the first set, for a change of pace, it seemed. The entire 2nd set is just off the charts! It seems pretty clear from the banter that at least Jerry, and probably Phil, were trippin' hard. The jams this night have that extra "X-factor" that might not have been there the previous nights. Again, the back half of Cryptical gets really out there... super long and spacey... Death Don't is excellent as is the Caution > Feedback > Bid U goodnight..

Anyway. I don't always listen to 1969 Dead, but when I do, I'm reminded why I should keep it up! :)

24. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Same. I can listen to this one until the sheep come home.

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Do you mean 12/19/73 (DP 19) or one of the November shows? You may have contracted bzfgt syndrome. :D