Help....local radio station coming through my phonotstage!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

Using a Black Cube SEII and I've been hearing a radio station in the background during quiet sections and in between tracks. I assumed it was my son or wife leaving an alarm clock unattended and so it was playing. But nope it is coming through my speakers. If I lift the Black Cube off the component shelf the station goes away, if I put it back on the MDF shelf it come back. if I turn it a little to the left or right it gets louder or softer. It is driving me nuts!

Any ideas what is causing this and how to kill it?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Which interconnects do you use? RFI is what's causing it, I believe. Some interconnects aren't extreextr well shielded to prevent this.

There could be other possibilities I'm unfamiliar with but that's the one I'm aware of.

Fishoutofwater and mike catucci like this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Bad solder joint. A poor solder joint makes diode like rectifiers that are used for radio detection.

mike catucci likes this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I had this happen with a phono stage, and the only solution I found was moving things around until the interference went away. Try relocating the box, reroute the cables - whatever experimenting you can do to fix it.

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

move the cables around, usually you can find a spot where it goes away. If you have a ground wire attached experiment with that too.

mike catucci likes this.
  6. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Bob_in_OKC and mike catucci like this.
  7. mike catucci

Using Cinnamon cables. Never happened with the other stages. I got it to stop by putting the BCSII on top of 4 Vibrapods.

George Blair likes this.
  8. mike catucci

Bad joint on the BCSEII? I just got the unit and right out of the box it has a faulty left channel.

9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

That is what I think. It would be on the RCA input jack(s).

mike catucci likes this.
  10. mike catucci

That's exactly the connection giving me issues. If I leave it on top of the Vibrapods it seems to have killed the station and the channel is working right now. I'll leave as is until the Decade arrives.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

You don’t like their programming?

sunspot42, Helom, H8SLKC and 3 others like this.
  12. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

its not the vibrapods imo but maybe a change in position or the stress on the jack, wire positioning, etc.

Paully, mike catucci and Mr Bass like this.
  13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Might I suggest plugging pretty much all your gear into a decent power conditioner with EMI and RFI filtering? It doesn't have to be expensive. Works for me, and I have two tube phono's on the same shelf, with an FM tuner and a tube headphone amp directly below them, plus an antenna on the left - no RF cross-bleeding whatsoever. This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00145EVJ6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14. mike catucci

Just placed an order for it. Thank you for the heads up!

Benzion likes this.
  15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I had a headphone amp that did this, so I returned it and tried a different model instead. No issues with the second model in the same location with the same equipment. Ironically, that second model was a Lehmann (the one with the RFI issue was a Heed).

mike catucci likes this.
  16. Barry Off EastEnders

Barry Off EastEnders Forum Resident

The other option is to have the radio station move their tower further from your house.

17. mike catucci

Just an update: I purchased the Furman power conditioner and the radio station is still there. It comes in loud and clear when I touch the tonearm. It all started when I got the BCSEII. The Decade should be here soon and hopefully that eliminates it.

18. Strat-Mangler

I knew that wouldn't do a damn thing but you had already ordered it. Otherwise, I would've tried to dissuade you.

Never had any RFI issues with either the Dynavector P75 MK3, Decade, or Chinook.

Helom, Paully and mike catucci like this.
  19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Re-solder the phono connections, it will go away.

20. Strat-Mangler

What a silly post. You can't know with any level of certitude that this is the root of the problem or that following your advice will result in a fix.

Besides, the OP already stated that he's returning the unit and already bought an upgraded phono stage so why would he do so and void the warranty in the process? I mean, come on...

mike catucci likes this.
  21. mike catucci

Never did that. I'll wait for the Decade and hope for the best.

22. mike catucci

I did jump on that pretty fast. To be honest I did need a good surge protector.

23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

This is what I thought as the first and easiest trouble-shooting. It's easy to check (as with the suggestion a poor solder joint on the cable is the problem) - try some other phono interconnects. Some stores allow you to buy and try with a full refund if not satisfied. If the problem is only on one channel swap the l+r on the interconnect you are using, if the problem goes from one channel to the other the problem will be in on of your leads.

24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

My other hobby is a ham radio operator. I understand radios since age of 10, I am now age 68. A bad solder joint makes for a diode detector. Same used in all AM receivers. Add the high gain of a phono amp and it will receive radio stations. I even had it happen in one of my customers phono. The bad solder joint can be anywhere in the system from the cartridge to the amplifier. It may cure the issue or may be another issue, but this is more common than you may think. Now, why do you think my suggestion is ridiculous?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    SandAndGlass and TheVinylAddict like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Absolutely.

There are far easier tests and possibilities which you're too quick to dismiss or gloss over which don't require the use of a soldering iron. He already mentioned (twice) the newly purchased unit will be returned and has already purchased a higher-end model anyway. So why continue to suggest he void the warranty on a new unit he's returning and risk being out of hundred of dollars?

While I respect your knowledge of electronics, these "there's no way I'm ever wrong or it could be anything else" posts I often read from you are, IMHO, a pretty big disservice to the person you're trying to guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.