It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

Jack lapse into a fanboy, The Edge is like... why is this gentleman making so much noise with his guitar? Where are the textures? Wait, old guy, I'll bring a couple of effects pedals for you.

petem1966 and wavethatflag like this.
  2. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

35 years? Then of course you know that it's not how you play, (99% of the time) it's what you write. And if your contention is that Edge hasn't written a boatload of terrific guitar riffs, then I just don't know what to tell you. The riff to I Will Follow can be taught to a five year-old who's never picked up the guitar before, but that doesn't mean it's not awesome and make me wish I wrote it.

3. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Completely agree it's one of the best moments of the film, but specifically it's when he plays the iconic riff to Whole Lotta Love that makes both Jack and Edge sit up and smile like kids seeing their idol, but JP botches the riff hitting a very sour note right when he starts. Makes the comedian in me picture a scenario where the filmaker/director yells 'CUT!! Jimmy, you wanna take another crack at that!?"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Roberto899 and wavethatflag like this.
  4. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

?????

You want to replace The Edge and leave Jack White in there?

I think the Edge is somewhat iconic in his use of the guitar as a sonic landscape creation tool.

I know I'm in the minority here, especially among younger people... but Jack White isnt Jack to me.

Page already created and did everything White did, 40 years ago.

but that is just my opinion. I would have replaced Jack White with.... plenty of other famous guitar players. Somebody with a unique approach. Stanley Jordan maybe.

If he isnt Loud or Rock enough, Robert Fripp or Adrian Belew maybe.

5. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

LOL

todays bizarro world post - currently on a guitar forum, Sean White, who plays guitar and is in a working band, is being excoriated for his personal behavior.

You cant do anything good anymore without somebody on a forum bringing up something you did that was awful.

6. gospelfish

gospelfish Forum Resident

I thought Jack White was the best thing about the film.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Johnny Marr would've been a fine substitute, but I see no reason to get rid of The Edge.

I'd boot Jack White, regardless. There's absolutely nothing interesting about his guitar work. Kevin Shields is the most obvious replacement for him in my mind.

8. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Jack White suffering extreme collateral damage here...who would have thunk it? :biglaugh:

stewedandkeefed and wavethatflag like this.
  9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

You don't understand that Jack should have been replaced by Steve Lukather or Gary Moore or Bert Jansch? Please report to reprogramming so you can unlearn the Forum secret handshake.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  10. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

You do realize that the Edge is pretty well respected by his fellow guitarists? You do realize that the general public has zero idea who Billy Duffy is? You do realize that the Edge has sold way, way, way, way, more albums than Billy Duffy has?

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Or you could keep rock guitar and cheesy movies separate, as they should be.

mick_sh likes this.
  12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

And your generation needs a guitar hero or 2. Fender and Gibson are hurting. I think more little girls are given ukeleles now than boys are given actual guitars.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm sure that puts a smile on George's face, wherever he is.

14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

It's funny, Fender cranked out ridiculous stuff for NAMM this winter, but they're paying attention.

Gibson was a no-show. And Henry J might have to sell or declare bankruptcy. I knew I'd never buy one when I stepped in GC and ran my fingers down the neck of a Les Paul Custom - there were jagged edges on the frets. That and robot tuners...

15. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I think Jack White deserved to be there for sure, he brought back stripped down guitar based blues influenced rock at a time when no one else was interested. Is he doing something new? Maybe not but its a lot easier to do something new 30-50 years ago then it was in 1999.

I am not a U2 fan but the Edge certainly earned his right to be there. However it seems most of his playing is pretty simple with added effects but U2 was a huge band in the 80s and early 90s.

and Jimmy..well he is one of my biggest guitar heroes.

ConnieGuitar and wavethatflag like this.
  16. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Funny, because my R8, R9, 63 ES335 reissue, CW reissue, and J45 Custom are all amazing guitars.

17. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Good for you.

I'll never have the disposable income to throw at a Gibson. And if I did, I'd still explore other options. Up to now, I've bought guitars I really dig playing that I could afford.

18. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Given the sniping about his "sloppy" playing, watching the film it cracked me up that he makes a mess of the first playing of the riff. But I immediately thought "yeah but he's Jimmy Page & he wrote it and I didn't!"

thxphotog likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Same as Satisfaction, You Really Got Me, Smoke On The Water and countless others. A riff is either great, good or bad and it never matters how simple it is to play.

Now let's have some classic U2.:cool:

20. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

I don't have an issue with The Edge being there. He doesn't play raw blues-based rock? So what, that's not the Alpha and Omega or Sine Qua Non of "rock" guitar playing IMO.

Plus, I just did a little research about the genesis of this film. The filmmaker from what I can tell, who has no background as a musician, he's strictly a documentary filmmaker, wasn't trying to pick people to represent specific chronological eras, he was looking for people of different backgrounds and different approaches to the guitar and, most importantly, with different stories to tell. I doubt he was aiming this film at the guitar geek/nerd market.

I think Page, Evans and White fit the bill of three different backgrounds, approaches and stories. IMO the movie works fine.

Roberto899, BadJack, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Those parts of the movie, with the three of them talking, are the best part of the IMO. It's a shame they didn't have more time to film as it felt that they were relaxing and getting into the more they talked and interacted. It would've made for some decent DVD extras :)

The bit where the Edge is showing them how to play "I Will Follow" is pretty cool. Page is really into it too.

22. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

I think that's common among players. Its great to see someone play that stuff you've heard a million times and still love. Reminds me of the time Fender Relic fingerpicked a great 'Little Martha'.

23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I said Will Sergeant before. But the fact that no one commented probably suggests that he would have been a poor choice. Will Who? :laugh:

24. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Personally I don't think much of Edge's playing. He should give half his salary to his tech guy. Maybe more than half.

25. Indeed. This is essentially what I was most disappointed by about the movie - that it served more to present condensed histories of the three participants rather than focus on the interactions between them, both conversing about their work and playing.

BluesOvertookMe and eddiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.