New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Exactly: that's close to hypocrisy what Jim said.
    No matter what one thinks of the Once Upon A Time material (beginning of the end for me), it's the "big" (Gaynor / Iovine) sound that makes it work.

Christopher B likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Is the setlist available anywhere? Interesting.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Setlist.com

DTK likes this.
  4. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I would just like to say... I just got my first listen to "Sparkle In The Rain", and I honestly have never been so disappointed as I really wanted to find that I might like this album.
    Sorry, it's... I can't believe it's the same band that had such an outstanding run of albums from "Reel" to "New Gold Dream"!

fRa, JeffMo and Dave 81828384 like this.
  5. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Interestingly last nights concert at The Barrowlands didn't sell out, only a couple of years after they were playing the much larger Hydro.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Listen to the demos and you might even be pissed at the change in direction. I personally love the album, it was the first of theirs I purchased with the chance to anticipate it, hear "Waterfront" on the radio, even heard a bootleg of Catwalk before the record came out and was chomping at the bit to get it. It's my favorite (SAF/SFC is their best IMO with NGD right in there with albums 2-4) but I still romanticize about what may have been, the demos are much more interesting than the finished product.

Back to the topic, played my WBW vinyl and there are some dynamics in there albeit not a whole lot but still an improvement over what I had downloaded. I ripped the CD and will see if it's an improvement over the downloads as well. Here's some images, I really like the art direction involved with the album, I've referred to the many colours in the music and one of my favorite things about the album is how many of them you can pull out on the next listen so the colorful patterns and artwork involved make it feel like a single thought as an album as opposed to the scattered collection that is Big Music. Listening front to back a few times has grown how much I like this record and I'd be willing to put it in their top 5, it would be hard to imagine them ever cracking that run of 2-5 but they sure are punching above their weight IMO with this and it's nice to see the album chart so well and garner the positive reviews. I've been on an early Genesis, Roxy Music, Bowie, T Rex and post punk kick for about a year and this absolutely halted that. To me that sez something.

Bloody hell, how to you upload images here?

mrbiggs, Surly and DTK like this.
  8. bleachershane

Funnily, I love the demo of "The Kick Inside of Me" from the Silver Box set, when I got my first listen to the released version on SITR I was absolutely baffled as to how it was, in my opinion, far worse! :(

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Kick Inside of Me is for me the moment they went stadium rock. The rest of the album has quite a lot of finesse behind the barrage of Mel's drums, but that's just a four to the floor meaningless stadium rocker. Heck, I even prefer most of the Once Upon A Time album to that turgid pos.

Oh yeah, new album is growing; it really is good :).

Havoc likes this.
  10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I think people can rightly question the decisions that went into SITR. Why the fanatical need to NOT make another NGD-ish album? Maybe had they moderated, they would have built on it instead of completely shoving it aside. That summer festival tour with U2 and the addition of Mel really had an impact.

bleachershane and DTK like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hoho... I just bought this from a collection of unplayed albums. Couldn't resist because of the dream condition and because I havn't heard it in ages. Also got "New Gold Dream" as back up. Paid 5€ each :righton:

bleachershane likes this.
  12. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

o_O

Sparkle is a great album.

negative1, Surly, Stuart S and 3 others like this.
  13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

That's when they started to get good

14. bleachershane

:D I wish I could agree with that statement ;) I'm going to give it another go in a few more days, I genuinely want to give it more chances but I may have to accept that it just doesn't do anything for me! :tiphat:

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

As a born and bread Glaswegian I actually your post extremely offensive.

hamicle likes this.
  16. bleachershane

It most certainly is the U2/stadium influence that is overpowering what I'm hearing. Oddly, 'The Unforgettable Fire', released say eight months after 'Sparkle In The Rain', is my favourite U2 album and that managed to blend the arty rock and stadium rock better than Simple Minds did it themselves!

Stuart S likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I find U2 offensive :)

Stuart S and Dave 81828384 like this.
  18. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

made me chuckle :)

DTK likes this.
  19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Everyone has heard the story of how Steve Lillywhite signed a contract to produce Rush's Grace Under Pressure and he backed out at the last minute to produce Sparkle in the Rain instead, right? Crazy times.

negative1, c-eling, Havoc and 4 others like this.
  20. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Didn't know that. Interesting.

davers likes this.
  21. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Havoc, davers and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

If you're offended, it's cos' you're looking to be.

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Not really offended, more pity pig ignorant blowhard Americans.....

bob60 likes this.
  24. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

You got all that from the "dayjobs" thing huh? Mind boggling. Also, if you weren't really offended, why say you found something "extremely offensive". Implications and inferences can be different, perhaps you could have said "What did you mean by that?"

25. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.