Please suggest a good thriller.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I've seen Gone Baby Gone, Zodiac, Memento, Prisoners, and A Time To Kill.

I'll look into Coma, Manhunter, and The Killing which I'm assuming is the TV show.

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Not that it means anything, but I liked it and I like the movies on your list that I've seen. Perhaps we differ on what stylized means, as I'd categorize se7en and The Game as stylized.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Stylized is Tarentino and Edgar Wright stuff. Definitely a huge turn-off for me.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Ah, I like those too. :) I'd say that American Hustle is perhaps not that stylized. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen it.

5. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yes....It's very good. If you can handle subtitles I would go with Forbrydelsen as it's the original and probably better.

6. Strat-Mangler

My wife's been reading subtitles for a couple of French movies and series so I might give her a break by suggesting the US version. :)

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

How is "Dark", the Netflix German series? I see it sometimes categorized as Sci-Fi. Any spells, demons, and other such nonsense in it or is "Sci-Fi" an inaccurate descriptor for it?

8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The Limey (1999)
    The Salton Sea (2002)
    Two I enjoy that I consider "stylized."

ssmith3046, CBC and Miriam like this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I find myself watching movies less and less, cramming everything into one and half hours, TV series is the way to go.
    The Bridge, The Tunnel any of the six series of Spiral, the Killing, the Spanish I know who You Are, the Italian Gomorrah I could go on.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

They're different for sure. Kind of like comparing early Beatles hits lasting 2-3 min each to early Genesis with songs lasting many more times that amount. Depends what you're in the mood for.

When a movie is well done, it's tough to beat. Having said that, I will state that TV is infinitely better produced and more interesting in the last 10 years than it's ever been.

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I see you saw Ronin. Nothing else like it. 'Bullit' is a worthy peer, aside from the car chase, it's an excellent procedural that keeps you consistently in the frame of mind with the protagonist. As does Chinatown. Those two movies are meticulously and carefully arranged as well as directed, and respect the audience. That is what's often most thrilling imo

Michael's Mann's 'Heat" is another singular accomplishment across the board. Several astonishing action sequences.

If you want something more cerebral, I enjoyed the recent remake of 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy', and understand the orginal BBC version is exemplary. Along those LeCarre lines, I kind of liked 'Tailor of Panama." Ivan Passer's "Cutter and Bone' is an interesting story, but as much character study as thriller imo

I think Munich is Spielberg's best film, certainly his most morally complex and more resonant for being based in real events. The thrills are there, but measured equally with the consequences of action and retribution.

Three Days of the Condor isn't bad, but isn't all that great either. Forget I mentioned it except for the scenes with Max Von Sydow who at least was one of the screen's great bad guys!

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

We really enjoy political/paranoia thrillers like:

Seconds
    Three Days Of The Condor
    Parallax View
    The Manchurian Candidate (original)
    The Conversation
    All The President's Men
    The Third Man

13. arley

arley Forum Resident

The Day of the Jackal --it's about a plot to assassinate deGaulle, so you know how it ends--but it's a thriller nonetheless. Edward Fox is superb.
    Diva--it's been described as 'a popcorn movie for intellectuals.' Opera, corrupt cops, mobsters, villainous intellectual property thieves, archly degenerate French hipsters--something for everyone.

Both the Gary Oldman movie version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and the Alec Guinness miniseries version are excellent, but the Guinness miniseries allowed more time to develop the characters; indeed, I was surprised that they could make a decent normal-length movie out of it. Both Oldman and Guinness were terrific, and so was the late John Hurt as the head of MI5 in the movie version.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    fr in sc likes this.
  14. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I would say it leans more supernatural than Sci-fi. I'm 5 episodes in and it's pretty good although I don't know what the hell is going on?? I'm sure it will all come together in the end.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Have you seen Mindhunter on Netflix, as you appear to have seen all the Fincher films?

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Some old ones:

Day of the Jackal (not the remake)
    The Ipcress File
    Marathon Man
    All The President's Men
    The Conversation

17. Another oldie but goodie, Wait Until Dark.

Jazzmonkie and arley like this.
  18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Jennifer 8 is not bad.

19. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

You have awesome taste. :righton:

Synthfreek likes this.
  20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just in case you haven't seen the Hannibal TV show, I highly recommend it!

Brenald79 and CBC like this.
  21. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Alien
    Cape Fear (1962)
    The Night of the Hunter
    Dead Calm
    Touch of Evil
    The Lady Vanishes (1938)
    Klute
    Don't Look Now

fr in sc, Jazzmonkie and KeninDC like this.
  22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Wind River
    Sicario

23. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

You have bizarre standards of appreciation, the much lauded Night Moves is the quintessential psychological thriller, an excellent suggestion as per your request.

Mechanical Man and Miriam like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

What a silly post. Tastes are subjective. I'd never criticize your tastes and would appreciate it if you would reciprocate. Or is the idea of respecting another person's opinions foreign to you?

Chris from Chicago and The Hud like this.
  25. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Great list. Add Marathon Man and watch them all in a row with the lights off.

polchik and Synthfreek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.