Will solo Beatles eventually become group compilation albums ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

[​IMG]

You don't need Number 1 records to make a nice compilation!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

But I don't think without a gimmick like 1's that they'd ever compile a solo collection of the four. Even with the gimmick it was highly doubtful. But I will grant you that it is fun to make your own

3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Just like Elvis and Sinatra before, all the Beatles and solo-Beatles output will become primarily known by comps. When the millenials are older and we're gone, physical media will be all but dead. A band from 60 or 70 years ago will do well to have popular comps available to stream. Play Beatles, Alexa.

The way of the world.

4. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Comps of solo material are actually not a bad idea. First off, the solo records are generally pretty spotty. Second, a lot good/great songs are lost to the winds of time. Unlike the Beatles, the solo stuff is genrally not part of the canon of pop music, outside of a few hits.

By compiling the solo stuff intelligently, and selling it as a Beatle or sort-of-Beatle product, it could give new life to some very deserving stuff. It is offending to purists, but having Beware of Darkness and Out of the Blue and Every Night and Don't Let Me Wait Too Long and Well (Baby Please Don't Go) and Too Many People find a new audience may be worth it.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

Including an 11-minute instrumental jam might be a bit challenging for some listeners. But it's a favourite of mine, so it's fine by me.

However, there's the disappointing possibility that you actually meant the Lennon track, Out The Blue :cool:

6. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thank you. The titles of the CDs are not that meaningful. To identify them, I just picked a song from each that could possibly be an album title. The alternative for me was to try to come up with some pertinent, clever title that was not one of the songs, which I found I couldn't do.

7. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Can see it happening in 50 or so years time. Then, a few years later it will be remastered, repackaged and reissued. Some on here will call for a remix no doubt.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Gimmick, you say?

“4-in-4: Four Beatles In Under Four Minutes”:

The Lovely Linda (.43)
    It’s Johnny’s Birthday (.49)
    My Mummy’s Dead (.49)
    Spooky Weirdness (1.26)

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Ironic that Ringo gets the most airtime.

theMess, johnny moondog 909 and Culpa like this.
  10. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I've heard some kind of compilation on youtube called the black album and goddamn....joy from beginning to the very end :)

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

But that's like trying to do the Beatles catalog Justice in 4 songs. IMO that is pointless but it is a gimmick

12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

It's settled then ? Using a model or paradigm similar to the Beatles red & blue 62-66,& 67-70 is the best way to do it ?

All or most of the hits, & the acclaimed album cuts like Gimme Some Truth, All Things Must Pass, etc etc.

From 69-80 ( Lennon's Death ) & including Lennons Milk & Honey etc ?

These guys really get busy in 69-71 & again 73-75, & 76-80 Lennon only has one album or 10-15 songs... It's really 69-75 we want anyway, because that's the period they all had an album per year & all had hits....any 76-80 volume, would be skewed away from he might only get 5-6 tracks, but so what...

Anyway I or you could make these comps to our hearts content, but good professional artwork, & Giles Martin or Abbey road remastering, remixing, crossfading, sequencing it altogether, would be a lot hipper than what we'd make at home..

Although, the home stuff has gotten soooo good I know ( you know ) we all know

Interestingly, Lennon, I forget which interview, 73-74, basically he says, you know the Beatles are over, but not really, because every year you fans get not one but 4 solo Beatles albums... On Apple Records & tapes he says !!!!

And in a weird way, there's a bit more truth to that observation, than generally acknowledged..

Paul said, recently, I forget where, within 10 years...he says, those first five or six years when we broke up, we really missed each other, socially, musically, being alone naked without each other...he says....maybe someone, or the other Beatles will say we didn't miss each other....."But I'm Telling You We Did"

The Beatles guested on each other's records, hung out in 2s & 3s, watched & listened to each other's music , read the press, the interviews, spoke on the phone...talked about reunions....

What I'm trying to say in my incompetent way...they were still connected, influenced by each other, in a way the 70s solo albums were connected to each other, as Apple product, as competition, as emotions & songs about each other...they were solo albums, not Beatles albums, & yet as Lennon sort of implied, with his "you get 4 Solo Beatles albums every year now"....maybe someone else can express it better than me. These solo albums still had a connection to the Beatles work, more than you might expect for a band that didn't exist anymore...on some levels they still existed, as Apple records artists, as competitors, as partial reunions & sit ins, it not as balmy crazy to create a few volumes of Beatles alone together as it might seem, at first, before you think about..

I'd say it's still 8-10 years off, because of ego, because Beatles are still selling, the horrific publishing, copyright permission issues.... But it's a big big moneymaker, it's been 30 years since a solo Beatle had a top 10 hit, it's been awhile since Apple released a Beatles song we hadn't heard before.... And any 69-75 solo together project, all 4 come out smelling like roses, they all had a ton of hits, in that period, so many between them you have over 50 hits between 70-75, & then when you add the classic album tracks, Gimme Some Truth, Love, I'm The Greatest, All Things Must Pass.....there's 80-100 classic tracks between 70-75 to use..either a hit a classic album track & all 4 Beatles contribute tons of tracks...

But I can see them selling several million, per volume..at least 3 volumes..

Believe it or not, I have all these tunes already, but I get a kick & sense of joy & pride, whenever my band, my guys, top the charts again or break another all time record for sales, longevity, creativity or whatever...

I don't buy everything Apple puts out anymore, cause I have it already ( the songs) & instead of Carnival of Light, Now & Then, A Let it be bonus disc of outtakes like ATMP, Suzi Parker, I Lost My Little girl, remixed, edited, enhanced, protooled... They just put out new mixes of Shy Pepper....I spent I forget a hundred & fifty bucks..I regret it, that's a lot of money, no Carnival, No Only A Northern Song....just a hundred Pepper takes missing the vocal or the bass or both.. Anthology had real outtakes for $20 per 2 disc set...so Volumes 1-2-3 of Anthology cost me $50-60 & god must've had 40-50 songs never sold before, & another 20-30 alternate takes that were very different from the original...

So anyway I'm in for a Beatles alone vol 70-71, volume #2 72-73....maybe they could surprise us with one or two we didn't know about

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Is this kid on the board? If not he should be. It's just fun to see someone so young have a nice grasp of all the solo Beatles work.

theMess likes this.
  14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But does he know Japanese chart positions? That's what I wanna know. Extreme vetting and all that. :D

theMess likes this.
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The Blue Meanie's robot secret service will try to hunt down and destroy every last bit of Beatles physical media and memorabilia through the world. They will even sponsor a 'Beatles For Food' program in which people will be encouraged to turn in their Beatles' products in exchange for food and nickel. An underground market of pirated Beatles product will spring up as a result of this exchange program, thus ensuring that Beatles product is kept alive and in adequate enough numbers in order for people to eat. Beatles music will never die. Radio Zero will ensure this, with their 'Beatles Forever' format, even playing some solo cuts, as they move from place to place to evade capture. People caught whistling 'Eight Days A Week' will be arrested and 're-educated', but they can't stop people from whistling 'Revolution #9', ever...

16. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Well Ted if you really can't touch your toes, better put down that pudding & come saw wood with Uncle Chet

17. Dr. Pepper

His top 10 - of 55 solo albums

10 New - Paul McCartney
    o9 Imagine - John Lennon
    08 MAF- Paul McCartney
    07 Chaos- Paul McCartney
    06 Cloud 9- George Harrison
    05 Band on The Run- Paul McCartney
    04 POB- John Lennon
    03 Ram- Paul McCartney
    02 Flaming Pie- Paul McCartney
    01 All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

Definitely have some issues with some of these. Paul would have to be happy with how his recent output is so high in the list and I agree with those. Flaming Pie is way to high in my book, love it but it's not top 10 worthy.

theMess likes this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm getting tired of fixing all your recent mistakes, Doc.

:nyah:

theMess likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

But if you didn't fix my lapses in judgement, how would the world get to hear what I really thought about things? You are my Jiminy Cricket!
    [​IMG]

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  20. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Hopefully not.

21. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

But if so, it would be interesting to know which songs Paul would choose of his and John's for a Beatles album/comp and so forth

22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

A compilation of ex-Beatles singles on Apple Records is not only achievable but also kind of a no-brainer. Along with it, there could be a really nice Anthology style book made about this period from 1969-75 I guess it was? And include reproductions of all the single picture sleeves, early 1970s photos, postcards and letters they sent each other back then, and use quotes from John and George and of course new interviews with Paul and Ringo.

No debating about what songs to pick. Just go with what songs the four guys chose to release as singles back then. Stick to that and do the track list completely chronologically starting with "Give Peace a Chance."

I'm always surprised how many Beatles fans don't own any solo Beatles stuff. I was in Barnes & Noble last weekend and overheard a college student marvel at finding Paul's Tug of War album. Her friend goes "Yeah that's the Beatles guy." "I know," she responded. "I just didn't know he did his own albums."

Such a compilation could be a great gateway for younger Beatles fans who don't know anything about their solo careers.

23. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

24. a customer

25. a customer

The real problem with that list is there are about 5 good songs on it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.