The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Also mentions wfts 50th

Meanwhile the Doors plan to continue releasing expanded 50th anniversary editions of its albums, with Waiting For The Sun on tap for this year.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Jim was a bit more lively on BREAK than I expected, not bad.
    Robbie could be very sloppy live, am I wrong to assume that many of their live releases have overdubbed fixes by him?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

In this instance, there is a good quality boot available I believe. Should be easy to compare to the release and spot any fixes. He could be sloppy, sure, but when he was on, he was on! I certainly wouldn't use the word sloppy to describe his playing at the Felt Forum! (not that it stopped him from doing overdubs for the 1997 New York disc in the box set.)

I think that's the least surprising bit of news at this point.

Matthew Tate and Boswell like this.
  4. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I think playing Rock music with his fingers was a difficult style. Those little chunks of hard plastic are made to make things simpler!
    Make no mistake, I love the guitar playing of Mr Kreiger.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

WFTS 50th Could be a good release. Entire album mono, even if they newly mix the tracks

And, the complete studio Lizard ....:drool:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

LMF is worth the price alone. Great version. The solos are tremendous.

I don’t see how you don’t pick up a copy if you’re a real fan of the band.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Jaded fans are still real fans, but are less enthusiastic about new and flawed product after years of disappointments and that is why some assert that they will not acquire the upcoming IOW release.

dobyblue, tedg65, supermd and 8 others like this.
  8. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

When you've listened to everything including boots etc. it becomes abundantly clear that Jim performances were not always what hampered recorded shows.. Ray, John & Robbie could be sloppy and lacklustre at times which lets face it is a reality with live performance

sekaer, Pats Radio, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Robby frequently mentions that the released Spanish Caravan was shortened and that a lengthy guitar solo was left on the cutting room floor. I would love to hear a restored version on the 50th anniversary release of WFTS

10. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I'm a "real fan" and I have avoided the last three or four releases of this band. "Real fans" doesn't equate to "real suckers." Not all of us are gullible.

tedg65, supermd, Buda and 8 others like this.
  11. Absolutely no chance of that happening! Try "Singularity", the 2010 Robby Krieger album. I'm pretty sure the missing intro and solo is included in there. I haven't played the album for almost 7 years but it is great.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. Pats Radio

I’m not sure where the complaints are on any of the releases. Nitpicking small stuff on each release is going to happen but it’s not enough from real fans to buy them. Just a guess, there’s never going to be a release where everybody is happy. Never. Sorry, but the band keeps rolling out solid stuff which I say the more the better no matter how they do it.

It’s like I tell my kids, “you get what you get and you don’t get upset.” Try it.

13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"The fans" were happy with untouched Bright Midnight releases, so you're wrong there. Her, they didn't even balk at the crappy sound quality of Boot Yer Butt, because it was an honest release that was untampered with .. but "the band," now consisting of 2 surviving members and a corporate-minded manager insist, for some reason, on treating their "real fans," most of which are from a generation twice removed from caring about trinkets and t-shirts, like they are teenagers.

tedg65, supermd, Buda and 10 others like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

This is an audiophile forum.

Lossy sound on the blu ray, poorly applied crowd noise from an unrelated show and a CD with incorrect song order for no reason are 3 very legitimate criticisms.

Fans know the subdued performance and incomplete filming were going to be welcomed "AS-IS", but it didn't need further knee capping.

The LMF clip made me think I'm more excited about the audio than the video, when 2 months ago I was much more excited about the video element.

dobyblue, tedg65, Buda and 6 others like this.
  15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Is Krieger referring to audience cassette source tapes of Dallas 70 that already circulate?

Or were soundboard recordings made? If soundboards of Dallas 70 exist, that would be news.

I guess Dallas will be issued as part of the L.A. Woman 50th box set in 2021?

16. Pats Radio

It’s funny most of the “generation twice removed” people act like they’re kids with all the whining. Hard to tell who is who. Young and old. You must have missed all the non t-shirt and trinkets releases that came out last year and now IOW. All available on Amazon and other outlets. Give them a try. Great stuff.

17. Pats Radio

Not likely. There’s plenty of material for a 50th LAW. Including Paris Blues which apparently has been found. Yes, I know sigh they didn’t release all the outtakes at the 40th. Please spare us that post again. Also, people here are in love with adding entire shows to other releases. I don’t see it happening from a business standpoint. Possible sure. But not likely.

Soundslave and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm running out of pop corn.
    I'll probably pick this up...used.
    I don't see how I'd watch this more than 1-2x. I've had a boot of this for donkey years. It sounds better than it looks.
    Regarding real fans...one doesn't have to buy everything the band releases to be a real fan. What if one happens to be someone who cannot afford to buy a release due to
    life's obligations? Does that make them less of a fan than the one who buys everything?

supermd, Buda, Six Bachelors and 2 others like this.
  19. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Completism can be an end in itself.

kees1954 likes this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I once saw a review on Amazon from someone who had bought his wife a UB40 Greatest Hits CD. She was a 'massive fan' and they were her 'favourite group' yet she possessed none of their material, not even a hits compilation. Some people eh!:D

superstar19 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Pats Radio

Massive fan and owned nothing. Are we suppose to believe that? :tiphat:

Ethan B likes this.
  22. Pats Radio

Pick this up used? A new one is roughly $20 bucks. Omg.

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Has the lossy-only surround sound on the blu-ray been confirmed? If that's really the case, that's beyond dumb. That's half the point of the format.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  24. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Except for some of that Doors in Europe DVD and a few snippets from documentaries, I've not seen any video that captures the Jim Morrison of rock 'n' roll legend. The only other full concert available that I know of is the Hollywood Bowl show and that one certainly doesn't. He's relatively subdued on that 1969 PBS special as well, which is a 40 minute in-studio concert. It's as if the presence of cameras intimidated him for some reason.

jsayers and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I liked it and I'm excited for this release. I don't mind the darkness, and I trust we are seeing all the available footage.

I do fatigue of reading Robbie's quote of "Well, Jim was overweight and had a beard.." So effing trite and cliche at this point. Robbie also had a beard at Isle of Wight! Let the Jim Mythos go, man. He was 26 or 27 and looked like a regular dude. They make it sound like he was John Belushi or something. I think it overshadow's his actual talent and pleasant personality.

Dodoz, pablorkcz, supermd and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.