Group Buy: Replacement stylus from Namiki in Japan, Diamond/MicroRidge

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Warren Jarrett, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

I don't know the price or minimum quantity yet, but I am working on it. Details to follow as I get answers from the USA rep for Namiki. I am expecting the cantilever/stylus assembly to cost us somewhere between $200 and $500 each, but I really have no idea yet.

We are only requesting Diamond cantilever with MicroRidge stylus. I suspect minimum order will be 100, but I hope to have them agree to 50.

So, if you have or expect to have a broken stylus someday... or, you would like to upgrade your aluminum cantilever someday, this will be the perfect time to invest in more than one.

Place your interest in this thread, so I can contact you later.

-- Warren Jarrett, dealer for Audio Note (UK) in the Los Angeles area.

2. Peter Needham

Peter Needham Forum Resident

It would help if you could clarify which cartridge(s) would support the stylus you are requesting

3. Warren Jarrett

This is just a generic (but extremely high-end) cantilever and stylus, not a "repacement stylus assembly". So it will be for re-fit to any cartridge. A professional cartridge repair-man will be required, such as Andy Kim, Soundsmith, Van den Hul, or Roman (here on SH.tv).

4. Peter Needham

Peter Needham Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification. It's an interesting idea worth considering but tial reaction is I'd prefer to buy a NOS complete assembly

5. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Count me interested. Thanks Warren. Looking forward to hearing further details. This would be great if it can be pulled off.

6. Warren Jarrett

For a MM cartridge, of course, a new replacement stylus assembly is usually available for reasonable cost.

But I don't own any MM carts, and haven't for many decades. All of my carts are MC, and most not intended to replace the stylus when it wears out or the cantilever gets broken. OEM usually charges close to full retail , just for a trade-in. So, what many MC owners do, is send the old cartridge to a rebuilder. Then, for $300 to $800, a new cantilever and stylus can be affixed. There's no reason to keep the same material though; might as well experiment with an upgraded cantilever material and stylus shape. That is what this offer is about.

There is no better material for a cantilever than diamond. And there is no better stylus shape than MicroRidge (arguable, of course).

7. Warren Jarrett

I did get a response from Namiki. Including shipping and all expenses, Boron cantilever with MicroRidge stylus will be $95 each. This is a VERY good price, and I am ready to start taking names. Diamond/MR will be $660 each, and I want to give-up on those due to the crazy high price.

8. rgu2002

rgu2002 Forum Resident

Warren, thanks for doing it!
    I would like to get about 10pcs Boron/MR
    Probably some of my clients will show interest to this subject to get some too, about 5pcs

9. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

PM sent

10. blakep

blakep Senior Member

PM sent.

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

PM sent for 3

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sound-Smith will only use their own cantilever/stylus.

13. Warren Jarrett

I can imagine that is probably true for both Soundsmith and for VDH. But they charge at least $800 now for a rebuild, and make customers wait for months. My point was just that with your own replacement stylus in hand, you will have to find a re-tip expert to do the work. I use Roman, now. But there are many more than the four I listed as examples.

By the way, you won't have Boron as an option with Soundsmith or VDH. You will have to choose between aluminum, sapphire and ruby. From what I read, Boron and Beryllium are the 2nd and 3rd best, after Diamond, for a cantilever material. Beryllium seems to be gone for good; Boron is getting more difficult to find, but still available from Namiki. This is why I am stocking-up now for my future rebuild projects, and offering the Group Buy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    rgu2002 and oligasu like this.
  14. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Do you have a deadline for buy-in, Warren?

oligasu likes this.
  15. Warren Jarrett

I will make the order to Namiki, about the middle of next week. So, I need to know by Monday. I will ask for Paypal payments from all the Group Buyers on Monday.

I received the formal quotation from Namiki. The Boron/MicroRidge styli will cost me $95 each and that is what I ask for anyone who wants them, too. Delivery will be 2 to 4 weeks after I make the order.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    oligasu likes this.
  16. Warren Jarrett

I have placed an ad in the Classified Ads forum, for a GROUP BUY of replacement Boron/MicroRidge cantilever/stylus.

If you want to finalize an order with me, for one or more of these Boron/MicroRidge cantilever/stylus, from Namiki, I am ready to place the order. Please make your payment to me.

As shown in the ad, they are $95 each, and my Paypal is [email protected]. If you are located outside the USA, then we will arrange another payment to cover shipping after I receive the package from Japan.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.