Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

For what it's worth, I used the supplied 52mm gauge, but checked it with a custom paper one I made on the vinyl engine site using the technics tonearm values (I believe stevenson is the closest match but follows the Japanese record IEC specs) and on mine it matched perfectly.

avanti1960, Wngnt90, andybeau and 2 others like this.
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I think the supplied gauge is sufficient. You can align the cantilever to it if for some reason the cantilever is not centered with the body of the cartridge – though I’d probably not want such a cartridge. Regardless, that’s a great way to double-check your alignment! Would you mind sharing the one you made?

avanti1960 and andybeau like this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I was a bit surprised too, having come from using a really nice Clearaudio protractor that doesn’t work with this ‘arm, but it’s pretty easy to use the Technics gauge. The stylus just needs to be 52mm and straight. That said, I like the suggestion of @recstar24 above as a means of confirmation.

Or you can get an Ortofon Pro S 40 from KAB and don’t worry about alignment at all. :laugh:

AArchie likes this.
  4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I started out with that before moving to MC carts. It's a great MM cart. Some say better than the 2M Black -- but I've never compared the two.

snorker likes this.
  5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Anyone bought 1200GR and then wished had chosen 1200G instead?

displayname likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Are you seriously thinking of spending three times as much on a G since yesterday? :eek:

If the price of GRs goes down to under £900, (currently £1100), I will probably get one to replace my 1210 Mk2, but I'll replace the arm, probably with an Audiomods, I do like having a direct drive in the collection and I recently sold my JVC so a new Technics would fit the bill, my personal opinion is that the G is overpriced compared to the GR.

7. punkmusick

Not really, it's just that although I know the specs and have read the reviews of both tables, it would be nice to hear from someone who is using it in a daily basis.

displayname likes this.
  8. punkmusick

@Dubmart I'll be in Europe later this year :goodie: so I'm doing a little research...

Dubmart likes this.
  9. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Don't you have a GAE or G already? The build of the G is really special and I don't think it's overpriced. But you said "compared to the GR" which I might turn around and say that the GR is a bargain.

displayname likes this.
  10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I went from a highly modified MK2 to the G with no regrets. However, the difference wasn't that great. I like the quality of the G and for me the cost was worth it. If I thought I had a better place to spend in my system I think I would have put the money there instead.

Drewan77 and punkmusick like this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I did try buying a GAE and it didn't quite work out, I think they wouldn't accept my payment or something, that may be somewhere in this thread, it was probably before the GR came out and as someone with a few nice decks already I think the GR will do me as a nice replacement for my 1210 Mk2, I think the GR represents better value, it's been as low as £1,000 and will hopefully go lower, especially if like me you want to swap out the arm, but having said that I've not heard a direct comparison between the GAE/G/GR and haven't heard any of them in my own system, only in unfamiliar systems/locations so maybe the G is that far ahead. The potential fly in the ointment is the SP-10R, I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing it at a show next week, not in my budget, but if the performance justifies the price then I may have to consider some radical changes in my deck lineup, if I can get some nice photos I'll post them, there may also be a modded GR at the show and I guess the normal G and GR as well, so plenty of Technics choice, I just wish they wouldn't use their own amps and speakers for demos.

AArchie and FashionBoy like this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Does Brazil use 60Hz, we use 230v 50Hz in Europe so that could be a problem if you plan on buying one here, anyone know how easy it is to switch the input on the G and GR?

If the power supply isn't a problem then depending on which countries you are visiting I'm sure your fellow forum members will guide you towards the best prices, hopefully it will fit in a suitcase.:righton:

punkmusick likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Of course! I should still have it saved using the program vinyl engine has you use. I still have the original print out of course and can show the values I used for their calculator. Again its useful for like first installing but on mine, using the 52mm gauge required no further adjustment when using the vinyl engine protractor to check my work.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I believe the G/GAE and GR use a switching power supply which should work for different voltages and for both 50/60 hz. Don't quote me on that but its worth checking.

15. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I've had a GR here side-by-side with my GAE in the same system, both with Goldring 1042 cartridges. The GR is a very fine turntable, certainly a substantial upgrade to the old 1200. Some people may even prefer it to G for some types of music and in some systems, but I think it is a mistake to think the GR is substantially the same as G, only $2500 cheaper. They look the same, but to me they really did not sound even similar. The bass performance was similar, but the refinement and smoothness in midrange and treble on the G(AE) was to me significant and readily perceivable. As it should be, for the additional amount of engineering that went into the G and the $2500 extra cost. Is it enough improvement to be worth the extra $2500? Only you can decide that...

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The dealer I talked to ( a very sharp long time vinyl/ audiophile) said that when he heard each table they blew his mind and sounded better than expectations. He emphatically insisted that the GR is 90% of the G sonically and is selling all he can get of each model at full retail. I was ready to get the G but he essentially implied me out of it.

displayname, PhilBiker and punkmusick like this.
  17. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Of course, with all audio components, there is the trend that each additional dollar spent buys less and less performance improvement. Would a $40,000 TT sound 10 times better than a G at $4000? I doubt it! The price/performance optimization point is hard to nail down though.

Wngnt90 and PhilBiker like this.
  18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What interconnects you use(d)? Supplied ones or something else?

19. oregonalex

For all associated gear see my profile (except system B phono stage was a Parks Budgie at that time). I did the comparison in both systems.

punkmusick likes this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So it was/is Blue Jeans LC-1 going from the turntables to the preamps, not the stock ones? Can you comment on the quality of the stock cables that come with the G(AE)/GR in comparison?

21. oregonalex

I did not even open the baggie with the stock cables. They (the connectors especially) look like the most basic generic ones. I am fond of low capacitance and the 12.2pf/ft of the LC1 is hard to beat.

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I use the LC1's for the exact same reason. Low capacitance is critical for phono cables imo

23. I just read that they closed up shop. Too bad. Those were neat products.

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Can you please tell us more about how the GR sounded less refined in the midrange / treble? A little too warm ? Edgy ?
    I wonder if the G table system is less sensitive to a cartridge / tonearm resonance miss-match?
    Your cartridge does not look like a great match for either table resulting in a resonant frequency of almost 12 Hz. This should excite the GR more because the table and platter have less damping and mass than the G. (BTW using a 6.3gm heavier headshell than the stock one puts the match near the ideal 10Hz).
    Just guessing but the GR would possibly have sounded better with an ideal effective mass for your Goldring. Thoughts?

punkmusick likes this.
  25. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

o_O well, yes! but I have also dropped the $2K I didn't spend on a G on new vinyl since buying my GR. It's a fabulous unit and I have been more than happy with it. I figure someday I'll try the G but until then I look at the cost difference as a way to buy more records.

recstar24, Dubmart and punkmusick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.