Best Loudness button you've heard

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Whoopycat, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh:

Get a good eq and tailor a loudness curve for your every need !

When a record sounds harshness/bright in the midrange, I turn out the sub and crank the bass knob to tame it. It does the trick every time.

sunrayjack, Manimal and bhazen like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Ok, I'll play. It was on my dad's SAE Two back in the early 80s. I loved listening to records/cassettes with the loudness button on. It made the kick drum really pound and not much more (which was perfect).
    [​IMG]

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You know, it's a common myth that the monkey has to be Malaysian. Any monkey from the hardware store will do as long as the spaghetti was stored properly.

ggergm, Bill Why Man, BMWCCA and 2 others like this.
  5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

The variable loudness knob works great on my Parasound CA250

SandAndGlass and sunrayjack like this.
  6. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

Kenwood's are really hard to beat, I have quite a few myself and I find them hands down one of the best SS amps and receivers.
    Just my humble opinion of course, that's a very nice amp.
    I would highly recommend Kenwood's to somebody getting into vintage audio.

SandAndGlass and SteelyNJ like this.
  7. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

It's not to late, you can come back and visit us !!!!
    you will find the memorable loudness button sound played at all times in our caves:pineapple:!

SandAndGlass, Kristofa and Manimal like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Best loudness button? The ones that say "off".

David A. likes this.
  9. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I owned a Kenwood KA7300 that was set up just like this and it had great loudness and tone controls.

SteelyNJ and sunrayjack like this.
  10. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

my Kenwood KR-6600 - great loudness button. And great receiver overall!

11. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Pioneer SX 12 fiddy

13. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Love the variable loudness button on my Yamaha; essential for low-volume listening. Otherwise best left off. But don’t let me spoil your fun if you’re into it.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never used one on any amp/receiver I've owned...

bhazen likes this.
  15. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I would humbly suggest that the mushrooms were good and that you could have draped a rug over your speakers and all still would have sounded wonderful. :)

clhboa and Linto like this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Allied 333 tube type receiver. Loudness switch opens up the audio with fuller midrange, bass boost & for some reason treble boost as well. I turned down the treble to 10 o'clock position. I replaced all coupling caps with K40Y-9 for far superior audio. Rebuilt the power supply & replaced 12AX7s with RCA long black plate. Killer sonics with real sounding voices unlike any SS I ever heard..

17. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

My Adcom preamps (first the GTP-400 and now the GFP-555) have always have had the contour button engaged.

18. I have loudness button envy!

timind likes this.
  19. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Variable loudness button is great, but would be better if it could be controlled by remote. I’m always having to get up from my chair 2 or 3 times to get it dialed in.

the Red Eft likes this.
  20. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Many lower-end amplifiers and stereo systems have a loudness contour built into the volume control -- it's a technique that dates back to at least the 1940s, if not even earlier. Sometimes this was distinguished by marking the volume control as "loudness" instead of "volume", such as General Electric often did, or by painting a stripe with decreasing thickness along the edge of the knob, to indicate that the loudness compensation decreases as the volume is increased.

Radio and ggergm like this.
  21. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

I think on the Marantz after the 9 o'clock position, you can go ahead and switch it off as the bass starts kicking in proper then. Below 9 o' clock (i.e. quiet volumes) the loudness function is pretty good at boosting things on the Marantz without distortion.

22. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

This is the way Bang & Olufsen did loudness compensation when they made receivers and all-in-one systems. While you could turn the Loudness button on and off, when it was on, the amount of compensation changed with the volume level. It was more at lower volumes and less at moderate ones.

In addition to more bass, B&O also brought up the treble at lower volume levels. Our friend, the good ol' Fletcher-Munson curve, shows that the ear is less sensitive to both frequency extremes at lower volume levels. Users generally focus on the increased bass because it can become so oppressive when the Loudness button - aka Disco Switch - is activated.

23. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Thee “loudness” button was a life saver in my suburban home where I was required to keep the volume down. Became a bit of a habit though.

the Red Eft likes this.
  24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My loudness button is bigger than your loudness button.

showtaper likes this.
  25. knowing my luck, you might be right;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.