Direct-to-Disc LPs: any recommendations?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by platoo168, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Nice to see the Charlie Byrd record getting mentioned a couple of times. I have this record, and I can say without hesitation that it is the best sounding LP i own and I own around 2000 LPs. The drums will literally knock you on your back side. Astounding sounding piece of wax. Highly recommended.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

I have the Hunt "Moondance" and it is very, very good, but the 2008 Kevin Gray does nose it out. "Full Sail" is very good also. Layla, not so much with it's thin bottom end, though to be fair many have tried and failed worse with that particular recording. Still, the recent MFSL is my go-to now for "Layla". Surprisingly, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is not half bad, good praise indeed for a title that has seen many failed versions sonically, but the 2014 Ludwig/Sax/Hadley does beat it, and the DJM yellow is pretty good as well, if you can find the RIGHT DJM yellow. I also have "Outlaws" with no complaints but nothing to compare. Ditto Jean-Luc Ponty's "Cosmic Messenger". The "Layla" is the worst of the lot I have from this label (needs more bass), but even there one could do worse. The problem with titles from that label now (as with Nautilus) is that many of their better titles have since been eclipsed by later efforts, though some of those may already be hard to get. In that case, a good clean and minty Direct Disk may be a pleasant surprise for you.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Back in the day my father loved certain dtd albums by Swiss Jazz drummer Charly Antolini. I remember he had "Countdown" and "Knock Out" on Jeton Records. Mum hated them though :crazy:

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Those are not Direct-To-Disc recordings, those were multitracked and from tape. What is being discussed is live, direct to lacquer disc, 2 tracks, NO OVERDUBS, NO SPLICING OR EDITING. LIVE!!!! Direct Disk Labs did pop and rock audiophile reissues but they're not Direct-To-Disc records.

john lennonist likes this.
  5. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

We know that and considered the distinction. I myself called the direct to disk a "different animal", despite the nname name the label did both direct disk recordings and resissues.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Just pointing this out.

weaselriot likes this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Didn't see it mentioned...forgive please if I misread...

Buddy Rich & Mel Torme Together Again fir the first Time

LinnsondekLP likes this.
  8. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

FM - Direct to Disc

9. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

I am surprised that the FM (the band) - Direct to Disk (album) wasn't mentioned earlier. Really great prog rock that is mostly instrumental. Two long cuts on each side which they had to nail without editing or overdubs (right?). If that's true, the three musicians that played on this album do an outstanding job of sounding like a much bigger band. Highly recommended and on occasion, I've found it in used bins fairly cheap. I picked up a second copy several years ago and oddly enough the performance differ just a little bit. I wonder why that is?

10. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

A favorite of mine; brass ensemble, some drums, and pipe organ.
    On the previously mentioned Crystal Clear label. There is a second volume as well, also highly recommended.

[​IMG]

McLover likes this.
  11. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Sheffield Labs did run tape copies at the same time as the D2D recordings.
    When the D2D stamper life ran out on the Thelma Huston Pressure Cooker and Dave Grusin Discovered Again releases they were reissued on LP from the tapes on what Sheffield called their Treasury Series.
    Note slightly different cover artwork below

Much later they also re-did a few of their D2D titles as CD's using the back up tape versions, Tower of Power for one IIRC.

[​IMG]

Wounded Land and McLover like this.
  12. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Les Brown and his band of renown - Goes Direct To Disc

I was digging through some of my records I have yet to catalog and found this. Looked interesting and gave it a spin. Wow, this album really jumps out at you!

[​IMG]

kt66brooklyn and Artur Torres like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"Tickle Toes" is a gasser! Some of the other arrangements are a tad corny. But YES! The sound jumps right out at you....

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. So these are taken from 1 generation master tape? How do they sound?

15. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Tower of Power - Direct
    Sheffield Labs 17

Dug this one out, played this album quite a bit back in the day.

16. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I picked up King James a few years back, very good!

17. Orange T-Rex

Orange T-Rex Forum Resident

Live From Welcome To 1979 - Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit (RSD release from a couple years ago - sounds amazing and includes a couple stellar Stones covers!)

John76 likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We used to have that at the sound company I used to work for back in the late Seventies. It was awesome to use to shake the dust out of the speakers we were testing.

19. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

There is the CD edition, released by the BBC label in 1991. Is it worth the sound of the CD?

20. Artur Torres

I think that for these direct recordings to the disc, it is important to back up in multitrack, be it analogue or digital. But as I do not understand much of recording bureaucracies, it may be that doing the recording in this mode can generate a high financial cost.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There was one called The Sheffield Track & Drum Record, featuring Jim Keltner and Ron Tutt freestylin' on drums, which is just as good as you'd hoped it would be.
    Dave Grusin's Discovered Again is my favorite.
    And, I think the Tower Of Power holds up okay as a demo, but "not quite there" on the performance as well; not exactly their correct lineup circa the recording date (was it Prestia and Garibaldi that were missing?).

ggergm and Artur Torres like this.
  22. Artur Torres

I also really like Discovered Again, by Dave Grusin. A balanced, tailor-made and exuberant sound at the same time. And Dave was one of the first to invest in digital recording, opening his GRP label, where he did many beautiful works that I've heard and much enjoyed.

23. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

two good (and easy to find) ones

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    = Terry Garthwaite from Joy of Cooking

john lennonist likes this.
  24. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    "Vivaldi In Venice is one of the most gorgeous sounding and exquisitely played LPs I've heard in quite some time... an exceptional, and exceptionally natural, sounding recording, one so convincingly lifelike, so intimately present, so detailed and richly textured, that it's akin to being transported to the venue itself - or at least as far as a recording can deliver us... the sound is breathtakingly beautiful, with a naturally warm and singing string tone and marvelous detail and textures, all presented with a notable lack of artifice and relaxed ease. The venue is clearly intimate yet spacious, with pillows of air around the players and the listener placed in the front row of the audience... As you might guess, my conclusion is simple: Buy this record." - Wayne Garcia, The Absolute Sound, Music 5/5, Sonics 5/5

12" 45rpm and Artur Torres like this.
  25. Artur Torres

Capitol Studios recorded some fabulous "direct to disc" recording experiences from my point of view. One day I'll do it there. Here's an example, which is the opening track of an LP recorded by Glenn Miller's orchestra under the direction of Jimmy Henderson. But I also want to record in multitrack if I can.

12" 45rpm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.