Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here.... when did they kill her? When she covered his face?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

While I agree that the sex act in the motel certainly had ritualistic overtones (not to mention that The Platters song was playing), I still don't necessarily see it as an act that "drew Judy out", especially when there are a number of other things that might be going on in that scene. Furthermore, I don't really see any parallels between it and the scene between Sam and Tracey, aside from the fact that both scenes involve sex. There's essentially nothing "ritualistic" about Sam and Tracey's act. If anything, Tracey is set up as a girl (a waitress?) with a crush on Sam and little else. The idea that she was "hired" seems completely vague and unsubstantiated, and unless you can point to something specific on the DVD or in the book that might indicate otherwise, it remains so. The idea that the sex scene overlaps with Coop's emergence seems likewise vague--the same kind of rabbit-hole thinking that caused some people to assume the last two episodes should be overlapped (or whatever that whole thing was about). Lastly, I remember an interview with Lynch once where he was asked about the owls in Twin Peaks, and his response was in the vein of "you'll have to ask Mark Frost about that". I only mention it because in my opinion that just goes to show there are many elements to Twin Peaks that Frost puts in his books (or in the second season) that Lynch is just flat out uninterested in. Hence, the idea that Frost refers to Crowley in a book that Lynch probably never even read means essentially nothing to me in regards to the scene between Sam and Tracey. In summary, I do think the scene in episode 18 between Coop and Diane is subject to a slew of interpretations, at least a few of which might directly involve Judy. But I'm still waiting for even a loose indication that the scene between Sam and Tracey was little more than just bad timing.

Wounded Land likes this.
  3. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Just wanted to say that I read both books by Frost and they added very little to my understanding or appreciation of the show.

I thought the show on its own was amazing and the best thing I saw all year on any-sized screen.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Here’s a fun short cartoon, Phillip Jeffries in “Who Is Judy?”. Nicely done!

93curr and cboldman like this.
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The second book did clear up some loose ends especially for what happened to most of the characters from the original series.

Wounded Land and kevywevy like this.
  7. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I'm just finishing up watching this season of the show for the second time. I knew while watching it the first time that I was missing out on a whole lot. Then I started reading theories online and just kept thinking way too much about everything that "happened."

With a clearer head and without any expectation of what will happen next, I can honestly say that this second time around was much more enjoyable than the first time. I really enjoyed it the first time around, but now at least I know where the Dougie story is leading and so on.

This is easily the strangest show that has ever been on TV. I understand why (some) fans of the original series were less than impressed by this series. It really doesn't have much in common with the original series whatsoever, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's incredible.

However!
    Going back through the show a second time, I am confident that people have been digging way too deeply into what everything means. At first I thought the season was a series of dreams by several characters, with just a little bit of "reality" thrown in (mostly what's happening in the town of Twin Peaks itself).... now that I've seen it all again, I really think it comes down to this. Very Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway-esque. The people who are talking about alternate timelines and the black and white lodges ACTUALLY being real places are getting it all wrong (I think...?) Thus, the beauty of David Lynch.

8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Glad you came around to it. Definitely agree that it is “about” the worlds within worlds of consciousness.

Watching it for the third time, and am more convinced than ever that my reading of it is correct.

Also, Naomi Watts...so funny! The scene in Part 10 with her and Dougie eating the cake is hysterical.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Found this Bowie quote that seems to be relevant:

Late night chit chat with Lynch during the making of "Fire Walk With Me"?

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yes!

alexpop, Wounded Land and LeeVing like this.
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I loved it, but many others thought it could have been edited down to hasten the pacing, and others had issues with the ending.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

It’s the best thing ever shown on TV. But be warned, if the first two seasons were Love Me Do, the third season is the White Album. :)

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Best show of the year, methinks.

Culpa, alexpop and Wounded Land like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thx for the replies.
    Blu Ray possession for sure.

rontoon likes this.
  17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I would say the first two seasons were the White Album and the third is Let It Be.

smokeverbs and cboldman like this.
  18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The first two seasons are The Velvet Underground and Loaded; the third is Metal Machine Music.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The first 2 seasons are Dark Side of the Moon and the 3rd is Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

alexpop likes this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The first two season are 'Floating With The Night' and 'The Voice Of Love.' The third season is 'Crazy Clown Time.'

johnnyyen, cboldman and Wild Frank like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The first two seasons are Scott 2 and Scott 3. Fire Walk With Me is Tilt. Season 3 is The Drift.

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

If Seasons 1-2 are like a strange dream, then Season 3 is like a strange nightmare.

23. I still say it should have been called something else but made clear that it took place in the Twin Peaks universe. The Many Faces of Agent Cooper - a Twin Peaks Mystery or something like that. Then my expectations would have been more appropriate.

Spitfire and Leviethan like this.
  24. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'd say the third season was The Endless River.

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I think it was much more original than that.