Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD6 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

Both the etailers and Sony Music are that inefficient? :)

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Well Sony Music (Germany and US) were no help when I got a defective set so they are probably only replacing them if retailers notify them. One large Amazon distributor had the defective copies and so did ImportCDs.

Jpc know of the issue and were active about making sure they were replaced.

J.A.W. likes this.
  4. coopmv

My Glenn Gould Original Jacket had a defective CD37 but Sony was very quick with replacing it. I bought the box from Amazon US some ten years ago.

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Good to see this thread, thought it was defunct, i just do the new post button nice to see older posters.

[​IMG]

hvbias likes this.
  6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Remastered in Japan
    Andre Previn
    London Symphony Orchestra

Walton: Symphony No. 1
    Walton: Viola Concerto with Yuri Bashmet

RCA Records, 2007
    [RCA BVCC-38484]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

The most familiar of these is never, ever heard as written; somebody named Thilde arranged it as a trumpet concerto, and that's how it always makes its appearance (not that those appearances are many). In fact, that was the first bit of Tartini I ever encountered, performed by Maurice Andre on one of those old "Evening at Pops" broadcasts with Arthur Fiedler, back in my youth. I actually taped it on my very first tape recorder, a Bell & Howell portable cassette recorder, holding the little microphone that came with it up to our TV speaker. High fidelity--not! But I played that tape a lot at the time, back when I had yet to discover the dark ways of the audio buff and just liked the good tunes. So, anyhow, coming back round to the concerto, I don't suppose the program booklet in your set would happen to reveal which concerto that was with something more useful than a key signature, like, say, an opus number or such? I'd love to track down a recording of it well played on the violin, but to be honest 29 CDs of Tartini's--or anybody's!--violin concerti are a bit more than I think I care to take on, particularly considering that Dynamic is usually a pretty expensive label.

And I guess as long as I'm about this: how do you size up the soloist and orchestra, considering that you've now sampled a reasonable fraction of the set?

Marzz likes this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of this thread's demise are greatly exaggerated. It has, however, become much more quiescent since the other one took off. Good to hear from you!

That cover art makes me think of my favorite Hugo Wolf song, "Der Feuerreiter."

royzak2000 likes this.
  9. coopmv

Richter in Brooklyn, as in Brooklyn, NY? Does anyone know anything about this twofer?

[​IMG]

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

11. coopmv

ImportCD's is having a sale on this Eurodisc Richter box. I wonder if it is safe to go for it as I hate to have to exchange for defective discs ... :sigh:

12. coopmv

13. George P

I have not (and will not) heard them.

14. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I am spinning Disc 1 from each of these sets tonight, rented from the library:

[​IMG]
    Debussy: complete piano music. Gordon Fergus-Thompson, ASV. I enjoyed this quite a bit. His playing is subdued and he leaves a lot of silence between the notes. He lets the harmonies bleed into everything which is important for me in Debussy.

[​IMG]
    Wagner: Siegfried. Joseph Keilberth conducting, recorded in 1955 at Bayreuth. Windgassen, Varnay, Hotter, and others singing. I thought this was going to be a "historical" recording but it sounds great. The voices are forward and achieve a really good balance with the orchestra.

JMR likes this.
  15. coopmv

Here is my Debussy box ...

[​IMG]

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    This is the Brilliant re-issue of the previous DG recording issued around 2005. Although the interpretation has some interesting elements, the sound of the orchestra is thin and rough in too many places for me. Also, it sounds like the number of players has been reduced from the usual symphony orchestra.
    Marc Minkowski
    Les Musiciens du Louvre/Mahler Chamber Orchestra
    Brilliant, 2009.

17. coopmv

I have a few Marc Minkowski's recordings. He does not do much for me ...

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I also have that Demidenko Tchaikovsky and Scriabin concertos disc in the original Hyperion CD release from 94. I really like this version of the Tchaikovsky. The Scriabin is also good but for that work I definitely prefer the Ashkenazy recording from 1979 on Decca. I find the performance more moving and the sound quality superior. Are you familiar with the Ashkenazy Scriabin Concerto recording George?

19. George P

I am not. I love his solo Scriabin on Decca though. Have you heard that?

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No but I will check it out!

21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have this London (Decca) recording of Ashkenazy playing the Scriabin Piano Concerto on LP -- issued in 1972. A brilliant performance!

[​IMG]

This London (Decca) LP gets frequent play at my house. I believe that the LP and CD were originally released simultaneously in 1987.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bruce2 and J.A.W. like this.
  22. George P

The CD set I have includes all 10 of the Scriabin piano sonatas:

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

This twofer has been on my wish list for years but should be ordered soon ...

bruce2 likes this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just ordered that same 1987 CD of Scriabin sonatas today! And yes I was mistaken about the date, the Ashkenazy Scriabin concerto was recorded in 1971 with the Prometheus that you have shown. What a great recording I think I will listen to it again tonight. I can't wait to hear the sonatas disc I'm glad you like that one too.

Wes H likes this.