Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting idea for a compilation, wonder if any label has attempted such a thing. Plenty of other examples here:

INSTRUMENTALS, turned into songs with lyrics

2. rod

rod Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  3. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

One of my favorite box sets in my collection!
    [​IMG]

jimbo3688, Kkfan, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

When it comes to releasing career-focused collections of specific artists, I wouldn't mind seeing more 1CD collections from Bear Family in the future. The 1CD comp is a highly underrated release format perfected by BF, because it includes an informative booklet in addition to the terrific music and a reasonable price point. I've found more 1CD BF titles stocked in record stores as opposed to multi-disc box sets and in this current economic climate, it seems very practical. What is your favorite 1CD title released by BF?
    [​IMG]
    The Ed Bruce comp entitled "Puzzles" is a nice example of a well-executed 1CD by BF

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

that's a brilliant disc!
    I like the John D Loudermilk 3 stand alone discs.
    Leroy Van Dyke
    Crash Craddock
    Johnny Preston
    the David Allan Coe early 70's stand alone discs.
    Dorsey Burnette
    Ivo Robic
    Jimmy Dean
    Ned Miller
    Sid King and the 5 strings

just off the top of my head.....

GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I recommend the single discs by Jack Guthrie

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  8. Svein Arne

If you like pure country from early sixties in living wide stereo you should try this:
    Call Of The Wild | Bear Family Records
    That is real country music.It was my idea for release in late 80s.:righton::tiphat:

9. GodBlessTinyTim

I listed a number of favourites in the OP, but to make a more comprehensive list...

Johnny Burnette Trio
    Sonny Burgess
    Janis Martin
    Jimmy McCracklin
    Joe Clay
    Howlin' Wolf
    Johnny Carroll
    Sid King's Five Strings
    Joe Carson
    Ronnie Self
    The Farmer Boys
    Curtis Gordon
    Big Jeff Bess
    Shakin' Up North

Speaking of Ed Bruce, I wonder if his Sun recordings will ever make the jump to CD. Bear Family compiled them on an LP in the 80's but never took it past that.

10. Rick Bartlett

Ed Bruce has done heaps! and covered a lot of ground.
    Some I love, some not so much. That would make one great complete Bear Family collection, including
    all of his MCA stuff too.

Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  11. Rick Bartlett

I have a 'love affair' with Jack Clement too, I wish Bear or Mr Weize would compile Jacks
    Sun recordings, plus all the independent recordings he made during the 60's on a disc too.
    Make it a double disc, and include his wonderful 'all I want to do in life' album not available on Cd.

melstapler likes this.
  12. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

Jack Clement had a big hit in Australia in the 1960's With My Voice Keeps Changing on Me
    never on CD

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  13. melstapler

In many ways, it's possible for Bear Family to cover more ground by releasing multiple 1CD comps of a particular artist. Manufacturing costs are much lower for a 1CD as opposed to a multi-disc box set. Not to mention, 1CD titles consume less storage space. The severe lack of recent new 1CD titles released by BF is extremely disheartening.

14. Svein Arne

And his recordings for MONUMENT records.

15. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Per the article below, "....that isn't included on Battleground Korea but that he would like to make part of a follow-up compilation of songs from the immediate post-war wake....I'm hoping if the reception is good for (Battleground Korea) we can put together a good one or two CDs of music that reveal even more about the Korean War"

'Battleground Korea' Shines A Light on Music Inspired by America's 'Forgotten War'

maloney likes this.
  16. melstapler

Although I'm not personally a fan of David Allan Coe, the second wife was and she had most of those 1CD twofers released by Bear Family. As I recall, they were standard jewel case titles (much like the excellent Marty Robbins, Ed Bruce and Tom T. Hall 1CD discs) and those DAC titles were organized very well in terms of content. In some ways, it's better than having a comprehensive box set because the buyer can pick and choose the CDs they want to buy based on a particular album or song and without having to buy an entire box set.

If only BF could repeat that pattern of 1CD releases with another artist. Which artist would you like to see be given the same 1CD treatment?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is a funny video from a few years ago where a DAC fan robs a CD store.

jonathan, Kkfan and Rick Bartlett like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Yes! these are excellent! and I agree, it allows a listener to pick and choose more carefully and keep things
    in a budget in where they may spend. I own all of these, and I am very impressed with the layout, the quality,
    even if some of the material is sub-par, some of it I think is wonderful, especially the early stuff the first 2 into 3 of
    the series. They also include the lyrics, and the quality is of course 'Bear' standard.
    Would be really lovely if they tackled more projects like this of other artists.
    There are just some artists I really don't want every 'cough' and 12 alternate takes of one song.
    Quite content if 'Bear' broke things up and released some artists' material like DAC.

Kkfan, Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

As to Melstapler, one guy I wish they'd look at, is a British guy called 'Russ Hamilton'.
    He only released one album in 57 or 58, on Oriole records, but his two big hits were
    'rainbow' and 'we will make love'. However, he did release a bunch of 45's in the early 60's,
    which didn't do anything.
    If you don't know him, this is his wiki:
    Russ Hamilton (singer) - Wikipedia
    I'll post a couple of tunes. Some of these have been released on budget labels, and
    honestly, they are quite awful. I think they are all needle drops, that have had the highs
    cut, and processed awfully to remove any 'crackle'. I have an original Australian Lp on
    the 'Galaxy' label, and it's great quality.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    melstapler likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

20. maloney

is the Jasmine Russ Hamilton Release no Good, ?? they usually do a fairly decent job on rare artists ..

melstapler likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

I'd like to know about the quality of that Jasmine release. I've got some Jasmine releases that are average and some are great,
    so I didn't persue this one after I had purchased this one:
    [​IMG]
    which is a audio disaster, once compared to the original vinyl. I looked at one on spotify too, but
    apart from the hit song 'rainbow', the quality is in the gutter.
    I read somewhere, but I can't remember where, but it said the 'masters' were missing or gone hence
    why a lot of these were culled from records. If anyone has the Jasmine release, I'd like to know what
    they think of it.

melstapler likes this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

Audio clips are available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Will-Make-Love-Under-Rainbow/dp/B00IIS4N5E

23. Rick Bartlett

ahh I didn't think UK and US would be any different, no samples on US.
    that is a step up above the 'diamond' edition for sure, but still sounds muddy to me
    compared to the record. Probably not enough appeal either for 'Bear' to be interested in.

melstapler likes this.
  24. Svein Arne

You can suggest that ACE records to release CDs with Russ Hamilton.

25. maloney

Cherry Red Records is probably the most Likely to Re-issue this artist..they have done recently Eden Kane, Mark Wynter, Maureen Evans ect ....