The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Anyone know when we can expect the spring box set announcement? I remember GSTL getting announced around this time last year...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Benefit for the Busted. super lineup. Monday, no less.

Crispy Rob, Ezzie and US Blues like this.
  3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

fortunately almost the whole show is around and quite good quality for an aud recording of the era. it was done on a portable reel.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, Ezzie and 2 others like this.
  4. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

4/22/69 is my favorite version of the MOTM>DS>SS>11>LL sequence. This show needs to be released, despite the tape issues on the reels in the vault. Only the cassette sourced version circulates.

[​IMG]

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes, the '78 box set came in 24/192.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. US Blues

Thanks for the report, sounds to me like you enjoyed yourself. SBD's usually take a month or more, @JRM is on top of these things.

JRM, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  7. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Also try 11/19/72.

nfmboss666, RockRoom, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I would consider the 3/72 academy of music , ny and 9/72 Stanley theater, nj shows. Great stuff there.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Most of ‘72 is great, as you both know :winkgrin:

10. US Blues

23 February 1974- WInterland. Do not overlook this magnificent show. :tiphat:

11. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

right now, 03/23/1974... i jump around

12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

:righton:

13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

A little 4-8-71 to bring me to the end of the work week. It's doing the trick.

14. US Blues

23 February 1969- The Ark, Boston. Opens with a smoldering version of:

He Was A Friend of Mine.

The rest of my day is now set.

15. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

25 Years ago tonight --> 23 February 1993

The final appearance of Garcia's "Wolf" guitar on a GD stage and the first appearance of Ornette Coleman onstage with the GD.

Garcia sat in with Ornette Coleman's Prime Time Band who opened the show and Ornette blew doors on Space through Lovelight. Also the debut of "Broken Arrow" was sublime and the rare JBG 1st set closer set the stage nicely for Mardi Gras activities at the break.

Set One: Cold Rain And Snow ; Wang Dang Doodle ; Loser ; Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again ; Broken Arrow (1) ; Way To Go Home ; Johnny B. Goode

Set Two: Iko Iko (2) ; Corrina ; Lazy River Road > Playing In The Band > Drums (3) > Space (3) > The Other One (4) > Stella Blue (4) > Turn On Your Lovelight (4)

Encore: Brokedown Palace
    Comments (1) first time played. (2) Mardi Gras Parade with Sikiru and Delgado Coleman. (3) with Ornette Coleman and Graham Wiggins on didgeridoo. (4) with Ornette Coleman. (THANKS DEADLISTS.com)

This show is beloved by some, loathed by others. Not too many in the "it was alright" camp, most I've met had a strong reaction either way.

Myself? I rode the Oakland Coliseum to the outermost alleyways of the universe that night and touched the face of g_d so I'm rather biased. Personally I put it in similar category as 10/31/91 in that words fail to express what actually went down those nights. I just thank my lucky stars I was there.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Psst...you mean April 23.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

An odd mix, some tension between the band trying to play the songs and Ornette going on one tangent after another.

footlooseman likes this.
  18. US Blues

See, now I have that disease, mis-dating shows. :faint:

ianuaditis, bzfgt and Ezzie like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

We suerly miss you Tom Petty!

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The return to the slow Eyes was at Albany in '90 (the run of shows right before Nassau). Never saw any comments from the band about the change, but I was really excited about it that night, and it certainly set the stage well for Branford on the next version.

budwhite, jazz_case and footlooseman like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have Grados and enthusiastically recommend them, even though I tend to prefer speakers to headphones when possible.

trd likes this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there, too, and thought it was a very good show. I enjoyed seeing Garcia play with Prime Time probably at least as much as Ornette joining the GD, but both sides of that equation were terrific. Following those shows, I caught my first JGB run at the Warfield.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just caught up on this thread after several days away. I've been using the Relisten random show generator a bit this week, and it has led me to a couple of '86 shows that were both new to me. Everyone's favorite year! 4/1/86 Providence was quite good, actually, with Phil really strong in the mix. Come for the Shakedown (nice work by Brent in particular during the jam, as well as Phil throughout) and excellent Music Never Stopped. Stay for the very good versions of Cassidy and Estimated->Eyes. Post-Space is not as notable, but not bad. Overall, one of the better '86 shows I've heard (although 12/30/86 remains my favorite).

Then onto 6/28/86 Alpine. Very short show, not too much to recommend other than the Playing->Uncle John's->Jam that comprises the entire pre-Drums segment in Set II, and the China Doll post-Drums is a pretty good one. A competently played but not very exciting show.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Ha, now you're doing it! 4/23.

EDIT: drat, I wanted to be the one to point it out...I decided to check it out, as I do every 24th time or so someone talks up the primalitude...those chaps must have absconded with the money.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    US Blues likes this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I listened to that Other One once, and I thought it sounded pretty good but I don't really remember it that well. I thought at the time "It's a shame he didn't sit in when they were good" (which for me would have been 1991 at the latest), but then I think I thought the Other One exceeded my expectations for 1993. Good to hear they smoked it that night, I really hope so.