The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

They have been universally well done. Jeffrey Norman has remastered each of them, using the original reels. IMHO, the sound quality of these vinyl remasters smokes the original CDs. The vinyl is quiet and flat.

If you go down this trail, let me know your contact info. I still see these occasionally out in the wild.

Crispy Rob, nfmboss666 and warewolf95 like this.
  2. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Forum Resident

I agree it wouldn’t be nearly as effective out of context. If it was just a little warm up passage in front of Eyes, I don’t think it would strike me nearly as hard and deep.

warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  3. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

It's a stash of early digital-audio PCM Beta tapes, made in the early '80s I think? Although not all of the new tapes come from that source.
    Anyway, 4/27/71 in particular does sound more bassy than other copies, which isn't my preference since it also sounds a bit more muffled. In any case (though I can only speak for the early years and not the new '80s/90s sources) hardly any of the new copies are upgrades. Sometimes they sound no different than the earlier copies; sometimes they are a bit more clear than before, or at least transferred at a higher volume. The other recent April '71 tapes I think come from the same source tapes as before and sound just the same. In general if you see an older Charlie Miller source that's still the best, no need to get another copy.
    Some definite upgrades: 2/14/69, 1/16/70 (but incomplete), the 5/7/70 audience tape (huge upgrade in the electric set).
    12/31/72 was a slight upgrade, but completists note it has some tunings/DJ chat edited out.
    One surprise lately has been 11/11/67, mostly from the same source as before, and missing the Other One, but has some genuinely new parts too missing from the earlier copies, including the actual Alligator>Caution from this date, and the announcer's intro: "Take this place apart!"
    www.archive.org/details/gd1967-11-11.141133.sbd.dalton.miller.sirmick.flac1644

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd wager my house that Garcia liked Coltrane as much as Lesh and Weir do/did. Bigger picture, not so much, but there are certain aspects where their tastes intersected.

I also agree that Garcia and Kahn had a certain sympatico. But Garcia and Lesh did as well; it was just a completely different animal.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'm sure they did. What I had in mind though is that Garcia said he and Kahn always agreed while with Lesh there were probably disagreements.

jazz_case and Archtop like this.
  7. trd

trd Forum Resident

Why not both!?

nitsuj, bzfgt, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

However, there are sources out there (Charlie Miller and maybe others) for a digital version of the full 5-2-70 including NRPS and "Cold Rain and Snow."

rbbert, SBegonias17 and Silver1973 like this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I personally think that disagreements generally lead to better art.

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

I’ve got all of them but one- the 83 show, couldn’t justify the cost for a cassette master. Anyway, they all sound very good. No issues with the pressings at all. As always YMMV but I didn’t hesitate to pay for #8. I can’t wait to hear that acoustic set on vinyl

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I agree. I'm not surprised though that Garcia made JGB different.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

They actually released one of the sets a few years back. If you preordered they sent you a black hanes shirt with the jerry handprint logo in place of the tag and some authentic (though not yet electrified) blotter paper with some cool art on it. I feel like the download code was on the paper as well but don’t quote me on that

Here’s a story about the release and all of this reminds me I need to find my copy. And that paper

budwhite and lucan_g like this.
  13. trd

trd Forum Resident

Any of you Bay Area folks catching The Wood Brothers at The Fillmore tonight?

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thanks. This is really informative. I think I liked the new 6.22.73, a bit clearer instrument separation... but that was a close call with the prior version as well...

SBegonias17 likes this.
  15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I know. I've got the complete show including NRPS in my library. It just bugged me that the official release was incomplete.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

The vinyl includes the missing Cold Rain & Snow

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Yeah, I was at the Providence show, in a year that gets overlooked a lot. It was a really fun show !!:pineapple:

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and Ezzie like this.
  18. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Once again why the Swiss don't have any great artists hypothesis

Crispy Rob, RockRoom, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  19. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Three show run, middle night I had just moved to a different apt in Boston and my brother drove me down in the station wagon(remember those) think it was burgundy with wood side panels the thing was a monster u could lay down in comfort in the back seat and in the back, anywho we got there right before drums. Bummer it was one that I really didn't want to miss.

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

[​IMG]

Jim Walker likes this.
  21. trd

trd Forum Resident

^^^ Point in case.

US Blues likes this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

11/21/73 Denver courtesy of Road Trips 4.3

Mississippi Half-Step > Playing > El Paso > Playing > Wharf Rat > Playing > Morning Dew. Not to mention the good stuff before and after that sequence. :thumbsup:

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Some great music, so good it was mentioned in the "Best of '73 Jams" upthread. Interestingly Dick Latvala felt the prior night's show in Denver was better. While not the recipient of such a tantalizing and creative jam sequence, the performance on 20 November 1973 is exquisite. We should have gotten both shows as an official release. If I dare say the way that the Fall of '73 has been handled in terms of official releases represents an opportunity lost. Every show in November and December could have been part of an astonishing box set. YMMV.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That is a really fun and informative compilation!

Stone Turntable likes this.