The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

For the last 18 minutes there's not one thing that I can think of that
    is wrong in this world. Anything. A favorite show from a favorite
    year... my first Daves; the first set just started a little over 18 minutes
    ago... go Bruins.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Yes. I guess we are 'lucky' that the powers that be at least included the 11*20 Truckin' through Stella segment on the RT! An absolutely stunning piece of music and performance like you said. Yes, a missed opportunity as the two shows or even more could have been released together.

Anyways, 11*14, 11*17 and 20 have always tickled my fancy even more so than the earlier Winterland triad of shows.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Listened to 10/22/89 today - the first of two Charlotte shows (on a work trip to metro Charlotte, so seemed appropriate). While not a perfect show, it features a fantastic Bird Song in the first set and an all around excellent 2nd set and encore. Well worth a few hours of your time.

4. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

A strong contender for my favorite show from ‘73. Enjoy the perfect vibes.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  5. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Good call. Great show. The last week of the tour is excellent as a whole.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

close.the swiss for some reason get all the credit for the cuckoo but it is actually GERMAN. confusion perhaps because the swiss are known for fabulous watches and the part of germany from where they originate borders switzerland and the area which also consists a part of france is collectively known as schwabia. my maternal side of the family lives there

7. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Anybody have two cents re sound quality for Waterbury '72 and San Diego '73, as far as 30 Trips being a clear improvement over other versions?

I've had an itch to pick up a couple/few individual 30T shows and just pulled the trigger on Dijon since it's a particular favorite and wasn't insanely priced, but I'm listening to CM's 11/14/73 right now and thinking I can live with it just fine (and maybe buy an official download ... someday ...).

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

My uncle is bedridden with a mystery illness, so im making my first solo voyage.....1000 miles to Houston TX.

Southwest of Atlanta bedding down. So far ao good.

No Dead tonight. Jist some Howard Stern lol. Tomorrow may be different though...

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

LOL, I just took a day or two off, I have 38 notices and 74% of them are likes from @Crispy Rob

Also, I heard a snippet of the latest Dave's picks on the radio the other day.

It reminded me of someone on here talking about Alligator the other day, (maybe @ThirdBowl.) I was going to say you hear people in 72 calling for it even after Pig left the band.

But I'm pretty sure yesterday I heard someone in the crowd shout out Alligator during set I of Dave's 25.

10. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I specifically logged in to discuss 10/14/83. Seriously, I hit the local record stores today (all 2 of them) and picked up Brookvale's DP6. One of the benefits of living in a sleepy midwest town is the lack of Grateful Dead competition. I watched this vinyl box slowly get marked down over the past year. 10%, then 20%, then 30%, they finally went big and slashed to 50%. I personally am a buyer @ 6 LP's for $44 duckets, don't care if the master is cassette or 8-bit mp2. The only other Brookvale DP vinyl that I have to compare it to is DP3, Pembroke Pines '77

[​IMG]

(Never mind the cocaine dust all over my carpet, the free ball that comes with every set busted open in transit at some point)

Let me get the "how does it sound" part out of the way first. It sounds good. As good as Brookvale's DP3. Not nearly on the level of Wake up to Find Out or the most recent 5/8/77 vinyl (or the Dark Star on the under-appreciated Europe '72 Vol. 2 album that melted my brain last night), but still very Clean and Crispy. I am currently on side 4 (Hell in a Bucket, Keep Your Day Job) at the moment and wishing the mids were a bit fuller/warmer, but whatever the highs are smooth and Phil's lines are fat and palpable. Vocals are clear and realistic. Jerry's axe is swinging but the drummers are not, save the cymbal work. Ambience is a 4 of 10, very little room/audience experience, borderline sterile. First set is history, second set just fired up with Scarlet and things are starting to groove. By the way, I don't think I have heard this show before, at least I cannot remember. I should also mention that I am drinking cheap rye whiskey and my jam/head-pump levels are increasing as the show blooms. The transition into Fire is lackluster, I am beginning to wonder what reeled (pun intended) Dick into this show? OK, the Fire jam is getting convincing. The crew is definitely trying to lock into something, something that will keep them from having to get day jobs. Estimated is hopped up on amphetamines, I prefer a slower more protracted groove, but it is unique to me and I appreciate the fresh take. Dang, Bob just did his wail thing and we dropped the pace into groovy territory. Oh yeah, I forgot Brent was in Grateful Dead, he is making his presence known. Eyes is up, **** is starting to get good, I think the mix is constantly being tweaked and whoever is in charge has got it dialed in, feeling the mids and drums. The entire band is pulsating, this is Latvala territory. Woah, Jerry and Brent just ditched the band, but the drummers are not having it! Mickey and the greatest drummer in the world sent the boys packing (or maybe they just left momentarily to drink some Heineken's and do drugs and stuff). Wait a dang minute! Is Jerry already done with his drugs? What in the sam hell is this Spinach Jam business...

Week ending 10/15/1983, Top 10 radio:

1 1 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART –•– Bonnie Tyler (Columbia)-14 (3 weeks at #1) (1)
    2 2 MAKING LOVE OUT OF NOTHING AT ALL –•– Air Supply (Arista)-12 (2)
    3 3 KING OF PAIN –•– The Police (A&M)-8 (3)
    4 4 TRUE –•– Spandau Ballet (Chrysalis)-11 (4)
    5 6 ISLANDS IN THE STREAM –•– Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton (RCA)-8 (5)
    6 9 ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER –•– The Fixx (MCA)-8 (6)
    7 14 ALL NIGHT LONG (All Night) –•– Lionel Richie (Motown)-5 (7)
    8 8 THE SAFETY DANCE –•– Men Without Hats (Backstreet)-17 (3)
    9 7 TELL HER ABOUT IT –•– Billy Joel (Columbia)-12 (1)
    10 5 (She’s) SEXY + 17 –•– The Stray Cats (EMI-America)-11 (5)

Do you understand? When it is put into context. When you shine a light on a single grateful dead show and then you recognize what was going on at that moment in time as the world spun? There is nothing, nothing, like a Grateful Dead show. You better get some.

Technical details: All slabs of vinyl were perfectly flat. No significant defects. Minimal pops/clicks during quiet passages.

11. footlooseman

trouble ahead
    trouble behind

Ezzie, trd, nitsuj and 3 others like this.
  12. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Love that context, great point. I've thought about a version of this with regard to listening/collecting/organizing single artists, and how that approach tends to lose sight of the remarkable stream of music across rock coming out at a given point in time (e.g., some weeks in '69-'73 when it was, in retrospect, just unbelievable what albums were in the "new releases" section together at the local shop).

To digress slightly -- top 2 songs on the charts both Jim Steinman compositions! I wonder when else, if ever, a songwriter had #1 and #2 via different artists.

nitsuj, warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, I just thought you were alluding to The Third Man.

warewolf95 and footlooseman like this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think the CM is better in the case of 11/14.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. footlooseman

one of the great all time films and one of my moms favs she grew up in that era and loved the theme!

bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Wait, are you saying that there is a re-release of DiP 8 with Cold Rain and Snow on it? On LP? Color me intrigued.

17. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Yes it's real...and it's spectacular

Grateful Dead Dick’s Picks 8 IS SHIPPING NOW!!!

Cool waxy sleeves for the records. CR&S included. only quibble is the front overlooks like they had to blow up the CD cover. Def not hi res but the music and the mix are top notch

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The corollary to that is that Bob's cowboy tunes in the early '80s were sometimes "just like a Swiss watch."

19. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I actually really like a lot of those tunes :cool:

20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Speaking of fast/slow Eyes of the World, I'm just listening to 9-2-78, this has an unusual slow version for this era. (Or at least YTD.)

I also noticed they opened 7-8-78 with a `74 style' Bertha, (less rocking shuffle, more funky and propelled by the bass,) but seemed to forget they were doing that during the 'ran into a rainstorm' part.

Also, edit - why doesn't Windows Media Player have a BPM counter built in? (or is it that I can't find it? Googling gave me a bunch of software to download.) It's got that visualization thingy, which runs off the tempo of the music. Plus it's a computer... :rant: (I think we need an 'old man yells at cloud' emoticon next.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The He's Gone> onwards may be the best part of that entire run.

:hide:

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It depends on the quality of your playback system. Waterbury is a (IMHO, with my ears, on my system) a substantial improvement over prior circulating sources, and I Know You Rider is patched with a contemporary SBD. All prior sources had a cassette generation in the lineage.

San Diego is closer, and I feel it is still a notable improvement in sound quality. A fresh transfer of the master reels using the Plangent Process sounds better than a 20 +/- year old transfer to DAT, since the reels were properly stored and did not degrade over time. YMMV.

Good luck!

PS- If you ask us advice about spending your money, you'll soon be broke! :uhhuh:

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and 6 others like this.
  23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I would second the above.

Ezzie, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Oddly, the 30 Trips version of 11/14/73 has an audience patch in the transition from Truckin' to Other One while all Archive sources are unpatched SBD only.

25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

First listen to non-officially released Dead played loud and it is, of course, Dark Star>SS>NFA>Lovelight from 9/19/70

NFA is !!!!!!

Thanks for the discs:)