Taylor Swift Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Socrates, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think she's cool (apart from those stories of her changing the boyfriend every year and writing songs about him/them).
    Speak Now is in my collection. Great album.

markshan and Socrates like this.
  2. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had replied to you before, but I think it was combined with another comment, and everything got swept up in the deletion process. I'm not blaming the Gorts. In fact, thanks Gorts, for doing a thankless job. I thought I had made a pretty good reply about Taylor not having to change her sound, before or after 1989, but she did anyway, so that she could stay viable as an artist... But who knows now... And then I may have went on to compare her to Neil Young and Bob Dylan. I guess REP sold something like 1.2 million units. So, while I appreciate your first-hand, anecdotal account, I'm sure there are myriad other stories, from all of the other 1.2 million people who bought REP, and I'm sure that a lot of people like REP. Thanks for your participation, frankfan1.

3. Socrates

Yeah, you read me right. Taylor’s “Bad Blood” is the “Positevly 4th Street” of our modern age. Katy Perry doesn’t write that way. And if you like Taylor you’ll know her song, “We’re Never Getting Back Together.” Bob and Taylor write songs for the divorce, not the wedding.

I just read through Bob’s Nobel Lecture again. What would be worse, doing something stupid because you don’t have any integrity or not having any integrity because you did something stupid? “I stay out too late. Got nothing in my brain. That’s what people say.”

Imagine being the subject of Bob’s writing. Who’s he talking about? Somebody felt the burn. Therein lies the rub. “I might be okay, but I’m not fine at all.” Bobby and Tay both write about the nature of betrayal. Consider Bob’s recently rewritten “Tangled Up In Blue” lyric, “You look like somebody I used to know - somebody I used to trust.”

4. Socrates

Yes, your post will be deleted by the thread master.. Just joking. I can’t delete posts on my own thread, even though that would be a fun feature on this board, if we could do that... And then I could start banning people....

See how much Bobby and Tay have in common, you can almost see them talking to each other.......

“And I can’t let you go, your handprint’s on my soul.”

“I gave her my heart, but she wanted my soul.”

“Honey, I rose up from the dead. I do it all the time.”

“I saw you buried, and I saw you dug up.”

“He’s got a one-hand feel.”

“With one hand waving free”

“And then the time we woke up to find that summer gone”

“Summer days, summer nights are gone.”

“The moon like a spotlight on the lake”

“Rainy days on the Great Lakes, walkin’ the Hills of old Duluth”

“So watch me strike a match.”

“Strike another match.”

“I’m alone, on my own, and that’s all I know.”

“How does it feel, to be on your own?”

“So I start a fight ‘cause I need to feel something.”

“You can hang back or fight.”

“I’ve never been anywhere cold as you.”

“I’m 20 miles out of town, cold irons bound”

“Honey, but I cried, cried for you.”

“I cried for you, now it’s your turn to cry a while.”

“And I’ve been a lot of lonely places.”

“You’ve gone to the finest school, all right, miss lonely”

“The water’s high, you’re jumping into it.”

“High water rising, rising night and day”

“Wondered how many girls he had loved and left haunted”

“I’m haunted by things I never meant nor wished to say.”

“But if he’s a ghost, then I can be a phantom.”

“You ever seen a ghost? No, but you have heard of them.”

“But if I’m a thief, he can join the heist.”

“Why must I always be the thief?”

“‘Cause for every lie I tell them, they tell me three.”

“I’ve been down on the bottom of a world full of lies.”

“I can feel the flames on my skin.”

“All I feel is heat and flames.”

“You gotta leave before you left.”

“But if you gotta go, it’s alright.”

“They got their pitchforks and proof, their receipts and reasons.”

“They got him on conspiracy, they were never sure who with.”

“For you I would cross the line.”

“Anytime you want you can cross the state line.”

“My name is whatever you decide.”

“Oh my name it is nothin’”

“But you can make me drink.”

“It’s indescribable, it can drive you to drink.”

“Salute to me, I’m your American Queen.”

“Won’t you come see me, Queen Jane?”

“My love had been frozen, deep blue, but you painted me golden.”

“Be careful not to touch the wall, there’s a brand new coat of paint.”

“Our secret moments in a crowded room”

“You may see a stranger across a crowded room.”

“Feeling so Gadspy for the whole year.”

“You came in like the wind, like Errol Flynn.”

“They took the crown, but it’s alright.”

“She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns.”

“I want your midnights.”

“It’s way past midnight.”

5. Socrates

I’m thinking about a few things I said on this thread. I was wrong to use the analogy, that The Stones and Beatles eventually hung out together, in comparison to Tay and Katy Perry. I was way off on that one. If Perry is going out to dinner with Kloss, then that will probably never happen.

Tay will most likely never be able to get along with either of them now. My bad for suggesting they make up. You know the thing, “blessed are the peacemakers”? I try sometimes. But I wouldn’t want to be insulting to T.S.. I would never side with any of the people who are no longer listed on her friend shirt. JLaw and me need not lose sleep over that whole thing anymore...

Yeah, what if Tay and Bobby are both mad at me now, and they team up to do a duets album about me? Now that would be bad. They both write about people like that, right? They get mad, and they just start writing apparently. FYI: I’m the one who doesn’t have a friend in the world, that’s why I turn to the internet. Maybe I was projecting somewhat. There just seems to be a lonesome quality about their music, something B&T both have in common.

And by “B&T,” yes, I mean Bobby and Taylor. So when you see “B&T” written on this thread in the future you’ll know what I mean. If they end up doing a duets album called: “We Hate Mike,” then I’ll know it was something I said on the internet....

6. Socrates

Now this is upsetting to me. We've gotta stop this stuff, with the bad emojis and everything. I do believe the criticism levied against Taylor Swift borders on being conspiratorial at this point. She's too cute -- people want to bring her down. I'm too cute. I know how it is.

You look at the Taylor Swift section on huffpo nowadays, and it's all this negative stuff directed towards her. Stop it! And you know, Kanye was the one who started the whole fight with Taylor years ago. And it was Katy Perry who stole some of Taylor's dancers, for one of her own tours, and that's how their rift came about. Yet I don't remember Perry apologizing for that, when she tried to make nice with Taylor recently in the press.

Well, what's done is done. You've gotta rise above all that negativity. I'm here to say it's crystal clear to me, that some people in the world want to bring Taylor down. That's totally apparent to me. There's no denying that. Stop picking on her! But what I'm also saying is that the snake emojis, etc. aren't helping. And I'm saying that because I appreciate Taylor Swift. Good Bless. Love, Soc

Dua Lipa: 'New Rules' Singer Opens Up About Bad Exes, Kosovo Roots

Per the RS Dua Lipa interview: "Last October, she borrowed a Taylor Swift Speak Now T-shirt from Jules and wore it to a soundcheck and meet-and-greet in Germany. Photos made it to Instagram, and Swift's fans spotted it and giddily circulated the shots. Soon Swift herself posted a euphoric comment online in response: "I AM SCREECHING WITH JOY." The next month, however, all her goodwill with Team Taylor went up in flames when some of those same Swift fans discovered a 2016 video interview in which Lipa, engaged in a cats-or-dogs-style quiz, was asked to choose between Swift and Kanye West – and went with Yeezy, emphatically and unhesitatingly. "I wasn't thinking about their beef," she says. "I was thinking about their music, and Taylor is amazing, but I'm such a hip-hop fan that I would probably choose Kanye over anyone." The result was a barrage of hate from the Swift faithful. "They were sending me snake emojis for, like, three days straight. They're like, 'I hope you die.' I'm like, 'Yo! I literally didn't say anything.' "

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Still waiting for some sort of GH release from her.

Socrates likes this.
  8. Socrates

Great idea!

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Greatest Hits albums seemed to have died out now. The streaming generation have no need for them? You didn’t used to be able to move for GH comps at one time... They were guaranteed Christmas stocking fillers.:)

If people like Rihanna and Taylor Swift, both artists who could fill an album (and more) with genuine big hits aren’t releasing them, you know GH are a thing of the past.

Socrates likes this.
  10. Socrates

Yeah but she could probably pull it off. You know, Tay could release a greatest hits comp. I can see that.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Socrates

12. Socrates

Somewhere Keith Richards and Quincy Jones are complaining about everybody.
    Maybe I should have never quoted a solo Mick song on this thread.... I blame myself... Keith, look what you made me do!

Speaking of looking...Looks like a busy Taylor googling-night.......This made me smile....
    "Taylor Swift on Instagram: “In this house, there is no correct or incorrect way to relax.”

See Taylor Swift Dig Her Claws Into Falconry Class During Big Sur Getaway

[​IMG]

Metaphysical commentary: Falcon wins vs. snake.
    So maybe Taylor's next album will be all about falcons...

See Taylor Swift Dig Her Claws Into Falconry Class During Big Sur Getaway

13. Socrates

14. Socrates

This ruins my perfect record of never saying anything negative about Keith Richards my entire life. And it's not like what I said was totally negative anyway. I can just see Keith Richards and Quincy Jones sitting somewhere, and you know, saying stuff.... They are both better than most people - fine. You are both better than most people, Quincy and Keith. However, this is the Taylor Swift appreciation thread. Post pics of your cats if you want, stuff like that is always welcome.

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm hoping for something like a rare tracks compilation , she doesn't strike me as a greatest hits person , but maybe by next Xmas as a 10 year type of thing ?

Socrates likes this.
  16. Socrates

Thanks for your post, David. If you have any pics of your cats, just go ahead and put them up here, that would be cool.

17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Socrates likes this.
  18. Socrates

Davidmk5 likes this.
  19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Socrates likes this.
  20. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

I still remember the first time I listened to Reputation, I thought "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" was one of the worst songs she's ever done. I haven't gone back and listened to it in awhile, but now I totally dig that track and it's the only non-album single I can recall how it goes.

Socrates likes this.
  21. Socrates

I'm liking your post even though you said that. If we start dissing the opening acts, where does it end? :D They look like nice people to me....

I dont know why all the money is flying around btw. Maybe that pic is from a video or something... Honestly, I don't even know who those other two young ladies are.... I trust Taylor's judgment! :D:D

[​IMG]

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm all for Charlie XcX ................ The other one i just can't sit through ................ the $$$$$$$ is coming in so fast it's flying everywhere :agree:

Socrates likes this.
  23. Socrates

I dont know which one is "Charlie XcX"? Maybe the three of them could be the new Charlie's Angels? That would be fun.

Btw, as of this moment, I'm proposing a new idea for an all-gal festival tour, called: CHICK FEST. Now wouldn't that be great?

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. Socrates

Would be interested to read your further reflections on REP. A few REP tunes sounded way different to me after I had heard them twice.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  25. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

These Taylor lyrics are similar too although the context is different.
    "Please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere"
    "Now I'm standing alone in a crowded room and we're not speaking"

The context is more similar in Enchanted

Bob
    "Some enchanted evening, you may see a stranger
    You may see a stranger across a crowded room
    And somehow you know, you know even then
    That somehow you'll see her again and again"

Taylor
    "Your eyes whispered have we met
    'Cross the room your silhouette
    Starts to make its way to me
    The playful conversation starts