Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Jimmy Page knows he can count on me to throw money his way.

Sean, Crimson Witch, ronm and 2 others like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Am I the only one who sees the irony of this thread?

3. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I'm done buying LZ, live releases or not. Got more than I can listen to now.

4. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

After being sucked in on many of these reissues throughout the years, Stone, Beatles, and Zeppelin; I am convinced that if they were not happy with the performances back "in the day" to release, they are probably poor. I anticipate Page squeezing the rock very dry in the next ten years and capitalize on the legacy. So far, I am very pleased with the "Song Remains" and "How The West" box sets, so I doubt I will be going for anything else.
    Every band always has that "lost in the vault" marketing theme, so it's buyer beware for me.

5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I suspect what's coming out is Earls Court, with a boatload of patch and paste/modern effects.
    It might be a decent finished product, but underwhelming compared to Japan 70 or 71. I will buy it when the dust settles, and the price is decent. I'll actually be surprised if something truly great comes out after all these years. I do hope to someday see some newly liberated pro shot film of something.
    It's become like a duty to have everything Zep musically on the shelf...Less excited but more like fulfilling a duty...

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love Led Zeppelin but the only thing that would interest me is if they somehow discovered some previously unheard songs. Live stuff doesn't do it for me because it's just Zeppelin playing Zeppelin stuff and I feel like I've already heard that. And when I say songs I mean real songs, not little snippets and definitely not some fakakta 'alternate mix'. Actual full Led Zeppelin songs I haven't heard before. I would buy that in an instant. But since I know that's not gonna happen..no, I'm not interested.

7. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Nope....lol

8. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I can't promise to not be interested in Zeppelin's 50th anniversary on principle. If nothing gets released, or nothing gets released that is interesting to me, then I will not be interested. If something interesting is released, all bets are off.

Of course, if it comes packaged in a massive box the size of a scale model of MSG and the price of a yacht, I'm out.

10. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I wouldn't say I don't care but, given how underwhelming most of the bonus material for the deluxe editions was, I'm not expecting much. At a minimum, a comprehensive multi-disc live box similar in format to the deluxe Dylan Bootleg Series box sets would be most welcome. Surround mixes of the studio albums are also long overdue, but if that didn't happen with the previous deluxe album reissues I don't see it ever happening.

11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Clearly Page was a brilliant young man. Amazingly talented producer, inventive songwriter and a fine guitar player (in that order.) As far as I can tell, all of those superlative skills dissipated in the 1980s. Robert Plant was also extrodinary in his youth, but his real creativity and artistry seems to have only blossomed in the 21st century.

So since all things Led Zeppelin seem to originate with Page and not Plant, I'm less interested than if it were reversed. I know all members get onboard for these projects - but Page just does not particularly interest me; whereas Plant's recent daring sonic adventures fascinate me.

Frankly, and this says a lot, I'm as excited to read this forum about new Zeppelin releases as I am to actually hear them.

12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

If it's a live outing then I'll be interested but I never cared for How The West Was Won.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

If whatever is left was any good, it would have been released many years ago. What more does Led Zeppelin need to prove or issue? I mean really! I am liking the more recent stuff that Robert Plant has done on his own. The record that he did with Allison Krause was outstanding on its own terms. I didn't really care all that much for Jimmy Pages stuff after Zeppelin, but would like to hear something completely on his own and different. However, if he chooses not to do anything at all, he was still one of the greatest in my opinion.

Let's not beat the Led Zeppelin legacy to death. How much money do they really need?

BDC likes this.
  14. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have all the original pressings of their albums, I'm good.

Dynamic Ranger and Audioresearch like this.
  15. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

If there are some audiophile re-issues of their studio albums from MFSL or Audio Fidelity or some other label then I'd be pumped. That's just wishful thinking. If we got some warts and all live shows in good fidelity I'd jump on that too.

luckybaer likes this.
  16. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Bring on the dregs. I want everything they can throw at me.

Sean and Kadink like this.
  17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'll take any good sounding shows, would like more acoustic oriented sets ! In for the blu ray for west already. I'd also like some SACD treatment but I like the hi res from the last round.

18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Their self-publishing company was called Superhype. They are really good at it. :)

Bill likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I would love a good live album from 1969 or 1970.

Sean, ti-triodes and jay.dee like this.
  20. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

Thats kind of where I am at.I have the lps and cds of their original studio releases and TSRTS and really don't care to hear any other stuff they plan on dragging out of the cellar.I still spin them occasionally but have for the most part moved on after thirty five years.Maybe these plans are for younger fans who haven't been on the train for so many years.If there is anything I would want is a good remaster of their 70s catalogue.Not the trainwreck the Mothership was.

21. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Lost interest after the Runes album in 1971.

The first 4 LPs & DVD is all I need.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I care about more live Zeppelin officially released.I don`t pay attention to any hype or promoting a 50th aniversary.But Zeppelin has always stayed my favorite over years so the music is a big deal for me.Yes I do want that RSD single too!
    My greatest hope is that we`ll hear plenty of live music now not in ten years.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

24. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Live stuff please.

Sean likes this.
  25. meanoldman

meanoldman Forum Resident

Never cared for them.

Topaz likes this.
Thread Status: