The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

This reminds me of a subject of some controversy in some corners - how much connection to Tristano do you see/hear in Evans? That aside, lovely album.

jay.dee likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Evans was much more the gentle conversationalist. Tristano used to telephone in to late night FM talk shows in NYC and talk endlessly. It was an incredible experience to hear, because you never knew when it would happen, and they never rebroadcast any of it. Imagining the blind pianist sitting in his dark NYC apartment by himself and pontificating on music and the world.

jay.dee likes this.
  3. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

Nardis (Norway, 1980)
    He was able to play a new version each night they performed.

These last performances... It's like we're witnessing an out of body experience by Bill.

rxcory and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I could see no hint of coming death at all. The performance is just breathtaking.
    Moreover it is amazing that his music would be getting even better in the next last month...

5. Yesternow

If you just listen you'll never guess what was about to happen. But if you look at him... That's why I have a hard time looking at videos from 1980.

6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Happy march! As per the op, we rap about best live album.

It's not a deep cut, but my pick is Waltz For Debby. Totally groundbreaking, heartbreakingly gorgeous and maybe the best trio record of all time, imo.

Yesternow likes this.
  7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I will chime in with best unit, live album and other trio's and albums worthy of discussion later this weekend. My pick is an obvious and popular one but right now I am enjoying Trio 64 with Paul Motain and Gary Peacock.

[​IMG]

8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Unit and live album is the classic Sunday At The Village Vanguard.

Even though they are playing standards and minor modal blues like Solar this is almost free jazz. It’s not like Lafaro is playing walking bass and root lines or Motain is swining on the and one but they are all so tuned in to each other and Bill Evans always had perfect time that nothing the others do throws him off. They are all almost soloing over each other. The amount of listening skills they had together was really something.

I have the complete concert in the Riverside CD Box Set, the single vinyl release but my favorite version is the Milestone twofer - The Village Vanguard Sessions which is the mono version that includes Waltz For Debby and unreleased tracks. Not sure if they made a mono recording or it’s a fold down but it sure sounds great and puts it all together. The stereo is really good for the instrument separation but it’s nice have LaFaro in the middle of the action on the mono.

[​IMG]

There is lots to love with other units which I will chime in later on but this was an ear opener and started my love affaire with jazz.

9. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I am so pleased that I found this thread yesterday and have read every entry with interest.

I vividly remember the first time I heard Evans. My first trip to New Orleans. Caught some music on Frenchman Street. Next morning browsing the selections at the Louisiana Music Factory. Absolutely captivated by the sound coming over the house system. I bought the copy they were playing. Sunday at the Village Vanguard. To me it was personal, special, obscure — I had no idea. It’s still my favorite album to this day.

I can’t help but buy every Evans I can get my hands on. Here are two interesting Japanese prints that I recently found at a used record shop for ~$20.

25 Evans

I was surprised this first comp was not on Discogs when I bought it (I created this entry). I’ve found very little about it online. Is anyone familiar with it?

Bill Evans - 25 Evans

25 EVANS [Limited Pressing] Bill Evans CD Album

The Paris Concert Edition Two

This one’s obviously more familiar (and a well regarded recording on this thread). Any thoughts on this version? I didn’t find any references to this specific pressing on the forum, at least searching by the label ID.

Bill Evans - The Paris Concert (Edition Two)

Feel free to tell me they’re garbage. I’m genuinely interested!

Thanks again — I hope this thread keeps its momentum through the whole year.

Yesternow likes this.
  10. Yesternow

Does anyone know the reason why these two editions from the 1979 Paris Concert are still only available as separate items?

There must be a good reason why this is not a great double album (remastered if possible :) )

jay.dee likes this.
  11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

There's probably one coming soon. Two additional tracks recently turned up in France, and the original CDs are OOP. Perfect opportunity.

jay.dee likes this.
  12. Yesternow

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Nice Keystone Corner photo, old SF. Love it.

14. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Speaking of Bill Evan's live sets I always enjoy a spin of this 1980's OJC vinyl.

WP: Bill Evans - Jazzhouse.

[​IMG]

Nice versions of How My Heart Sings and How Deep Is The Ocean.

Yesternow and rxcory like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It would be nice if Todd Barkan is invited here to talk about the week with Bill Evans?

Yesternow likes this.
  17. Yesternow

That would be a blast @yasujiro

Check this:
    [​IMG]

Stan Getz, Bill Evans... (two of my all time favorites)
    Full bar and food service...
    Coming: Joe Henderson, John Abercrombie ...

That "Korner" was heaven back then.

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

As for Undercurrent, the is interesting read.

rxcory likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Kenny Wheeler - One Of Many (CamdenJazz)
    W/John Taylor (p) and Steve Swallow.

rxcory likes this.
  20. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

The OJC reissue is very good

Fender Relic likes this.
  21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

A very informative interview.

Yesternow likes this.
  22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

First OJC or recent? Seems I remember reading here on another thread there's a difference in quality and maybe source between the 80's OJC and recent ones.

23. Yesternow

I struggle so much with vocal jazz that - even with Bill Evans in - I haven't played almost nothing from the albums with Tony Bennett.

But this small interview is so good that I'm almost capable to give it a chance.

24. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

During many years OJC vinyl has had good reputation of excellent all-analog pressings. Our host has estated here several times he has seen the mastering notes, all analog from master tapes, and he have not hesitated to recommend them. Credits on the cover on some 'digital mastering' are known to be copied from the CD credits (by the way the old OJC CDs are also good). Some people here have also said that some more recent pressings are not so good, or maybe from digital, and on this I have no confirmation and I do not know anything. I only know that what I have bought until now have been all excellent, but they could have been remnants from old pressings.

I have got two OJC discs (Saxophone Colossus and Tenor Madness) in which metal parts came from DCC mastered by our host.

For some discs you can get expensive editions by audiophile labels, but OJC provides a consistent good quality for a fraction of the price.

Fender Relic likes this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

That's funny I think I just read the other day that it's coming
    Out this year

Yesternow likes this.