The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but can we get back to 1968 instead of 1989. So much better!

2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Meanwhile.... back in 1968 .... I turned 3 years old...
    It probably was better .... but I remember nothing of it.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I was 5. It was an awesome time!

Mark

dee and GoodKitty like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Sure thing, back to 1968.

Magic Bus

A: MAGIC BUS

B: UK: DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE (Alternate Mix)

B: US: SOMEONE’S COMING

UK: Track 604 024. Released: October 11, 1968, Highest chart position: #26.
    US: Decca 32362. Released: July 27, 1968. Highest chart position: #25.
    MAGIC BUS written by Pete Townshend. Produced by Kit Lambert. Recorded at Advision Studios, London, May 29, 1968 and mixed at Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles sometime between 30 June and 7 July 1968.
    SOMEONE’S COMING written by John Entwistle. Produced by Kit Lambert. Recorded at CBS Studios, London, May 23, 1967 with horns and vocal overdubs added at CBS, Hollywood on August 17, 1967.
    DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE written by John Entwistle. Produced by Kit Lambert Recorded at IBC Studios, London, January 5, 1968

I'm still thinking the 33 minute My Generation will be some type of Medley / Jam. I hope to hear an early live rendition of Magic Bus even if its just part of an instrumental jam.

5. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Oh oh......I can’t wait for this to come out! Oops, sorry.

Matthew Tate and DrBeatle like this.
  6. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Me too. I was thinking the same thing about the age, I thought they were old then and now here I am 5/6 years older than Pete and Rog! I boycotted the '82 tour, being such a Keith Moon fan. So by 1989 I was all gung ho and ready to go. I saw them all 4 nights at the old Giants Stadium, including second row on Pete's side for the last show. I even took a ride to New York to see if I could get tickets for Radio City, but as it was an already a high priced charity show, by the eleventh hour the price was just too steep. It really felt like all Who all the time in NY and NJ...at least for that week.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Or IBC.

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It's possible that they didn't listen very closely to the tapes before cutting to acetate and missed the bad Boris.
    I think a version from the other night exists.
    They never listened to the Hull tapes properly either before consigning them to the bottom of the vault.......so it could be just a simple oversight concerning Boris.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, we know Pete listened closely enough to at least one of the reels to formulate opinions about which tracks needed the vocals redone, and write them on the box. So it seems likely he probably listened to everything, and it seems unlikely he would have failed to notice Rogers' lyrical flub on Boris. I suppose it's possible, but it seems to me less likely than not. I guess we'll find out. Mainly, I just don't think it's safe to make the assumption that either side of the acetate consists only of material from one night.

lukpac likes this.
  10. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Can't believe I got F2F instead of WC ... >sob! < -E

11. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

The percussion comment
    The percussion comments relate to tape "click" hence having to be cleaned.Old magnetic tape can someti
    It's PTO short Please Turn Over.

Surferghost and dee like this.
  12. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !! Thread Starter

While the front cover may be a bit dull at least there appears to be decent liner notes[​IMG]:

jlf, Matthew Tate, WhoTapes1 and 11 others like this.
  13. whodanny

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

So you think it means "Needs clean[ing,] percussion throughout"? I've never heard of tape noises referred to as percussion, nor would a comment about cleaning make any sense.

"Please Turn Over" doesn't make much sense either. The tape itself has one side/direction.

At least one additional tape box included, that with 4 tracks. We'll see...it seems like there probably must have been 4 reels for the 4/6 show.

15. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

The acetate that got out could also be one of two (or more) made at the time. As for the one we've heard all these years, I've often wondered whether some stuff made it out of the band's archives when John did research for Odds & Sods. The Fillmore recording started circulating around that time at least, and I believe the earliest vinyl boot of the acetate was pressed in '75.

WhoTapes1 and dee like this.
  16. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Looking at the above photo, I wonder if Pete got that “puffy” shirt from Jerry Seinfeld directly or Kramer’s low-talking friend....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. whodanny

Well spotted Luke, interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

....kit lambert.....reels, mixing what he considered to be the best from both shows and prepared acetates, the decision was made to shelve the live album idea- at least for now.......the mixing tape featured summertime blues, fortune teller, tattoo, little billy, i cant explain, happy jack, relax, a quick one, my way, shakin all.......

[​IMG]

19. dee

dee Senior Member

I like the cover art :hide: I mean the variegated letters and numbers etc. It reminds me of Rothko :):) for some reason.

:righton: "He said he was an an artist, but he really painted billboards, in large capital letters, in large capital letters" (Walk To The Water, U2)

If the 12x12 is the cover + photo, it looks like an odd mix to me, with the cover art, photo and track listing.

Can't resist the vinyl.

Matthew Tate, marcb and Mark Wilson like this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Some more clarification on the last bit:

"The mixed tape featured 'Summertime Blues,' 'Fortune Teller,' 'Tattoo," 'Little Billy,' 'I Can't Explain,' 'Happy Jack,' 'Relax' (from the 6th), 'A Quick One (While He's Away),' 'My Way,' 'Shakin' All..."

That *seems* to confirm the first side of the acetate is from the 6th, although we likely won't know for certain until we have the new release. That is, it seems like "from the 6th" refers to all of the preceding songs, not just Relax. Presumably the rest of the sentence is:

"...Over,' 'Boris The Spider,' and 'My Generation' (from the 5th)".

Matthew Tate and dee like this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^ good job, figured there were some useful clues ....... i couldn't read all the small print.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

I don't know what happened to that post.Is there any way to edit?
    Yes I took the reference to "percussion throughout" and the tape needing cleaning to do with noise?That clicking/popping/rubbing sound that old magnetic tape can suffer from ?PTO is definitely short for please turn over for the rest of the notes/comments on the tracks.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've never heard of tape noise referred to as "percussion". Nor was the tape old at the time it was auditioned. Nor do tapes generally need any sort of cleaning.

It may be short for that in general, but I wouldn't say it's a certainty that's what it means here.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

It's a little easier to read if you click to enlarge the original post (#1463):

After two months on the road and with all that had occurred….
    time in New York city it's a marvel The Who were able to deliver per….
    brimming with gusto, inventiveness and sheer power. The odd ….
    beat of off-key vocal was a small price to pay for such supreme ….
    visceral showmanship. But back in Britain after Kit Lambert ….
    reels, mixing what he considered to be the best from both shows and prepared
    acetates, the decision was made to shelve the live album idea - at least for now
    - and all attentions were focused on crafting Tommy. The mixed tape featured
    'Summertime Blues,' 'Fortune Teller,' 'Tattoo," 'Little Billy,' 'I Can't Explain,' 'Happy
    Jack,' 'Relax' (from the 6th), 'A Quick One (While He's Away),' 'My Way,' 'Shakin' All

funkydude, Matthew Tate, dee and 2 others like this.
  25. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

...and the bit on the bottom right:

captured on tape. The recording was split over four….
    successfully managed to edit together, without having to ….
    versions. In concluding, Bob and I felt that the recording quality….
    night was the most salvageable and additionally, the performance….
    doubt, absolutely phenomenal!"