Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I care and will always care about Led Zeppelin!

Too much unnecessary bellyaching taking place!

bobcat, Sean, DME1061 and 7 others like this.
  2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

High quality live stuff 1973 and earlier, otherwise pass.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I could see Robert Plant being even more reluctant to giving the green light to a project like that than any sort of archival concert release. I can't imagine Percy wanting to sit there and reopen old wounds like the 1975 Rhodes car accident, or his son's death during the '77 tour etc. With Running Down A Dream and History Of The Eagles part of what made those docs so good was that they didn't really try to gloss anything over.

There is a certain amount of an ugly side to Zeppelin's career that I don't think they would want to rehash...Zeppelin even made the bloody Eagles look like saints in that regard:laugh: Some of the stories recounted in Barney Hoskyns' Trampled Under Foot bio weren't pretty. People would want a documentary film version of that?

IMO the best kind of Zeppelin "documentary" would have been if they'd deigned to allow the Classic Albums programme to tackle one of their albums - IV or II, probably- something that focuses solely on the music and not all the unsavoury business that went on behind the scenes.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

They have one song I like and that's it, so you could put me in the "really don't care" category.

5. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Agree. A RSD 7" - big deal. Springsteen releasing 1 live show a month on CD currently. Do the same and I may be interested.

bartels76 likes this.
  6. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I have All The Diamonds I need

7. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Totally agree. The elephant in the room is Oakland. Any in depth bio would have to cover that, and examine the decision that it was a really great idea to bring Bindon on tour as security. Although (as you can probably guess) I love Zeppelin, what happened at Oakland is a stain on the band. If it happened now to a comparably large band, with camera phones, twitter etc at the scene, there would be even more repercussions than there were in '77.

Overall, I can absolutely see why Plant wouldn't want to do such a thing. I can't imagine how painful it must be to lose your kid, and he said he misses Bonzo every day. On the other hand any doco that glossed over those things would be incomplete and wouldn't work. So sadly I doubt it'll happen.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

This is my feeling as well. Looking forward to the remaster of HTWWW and the big "official" book. Page's tease of "previously unheard" music is tantalizing. If that turns out to be something cool, then I think excitement would be justified.

It's about the goodies, not the arbitrary anniversary.

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm in for previously unreleased concert recordings - preferably late 60s/early 70s.

laf848 and WonkyWilly like this.
  10. ohnothimagen

Hell, you could probably do a documentary-length feature on the "Oakland Incident" alone. One of many stains on the band, IMO.

11. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

I'd be way up for a documentary.Zep may not have been quite the Beatles Anthology big but they were big.Big enough for at least a comprehensive two hour documentary.Warts and all.That is something I would be very interested in.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

He's addressing Karac's death on The Big Interview with Dan Rather on AXS TV in a couple of weeks. They have been running that as part of the promo commercials for it. So it's not an off limits topic for him apparently.

13. ThePinkFloyd

ThePinkFloyd Forum Resident

Only if the studio albums are released in 5.1 otherwise, I am done buying any more zep. I still enjoy what I have.

tedhead, Sean, joshm2286 and 4 others like this.
  14. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

There are many things from the '77 tour that I'd imagine the band would cringe at in a retrospective. Gary Carnes's allegation that Page gobbed at one of the Showco crew. The "three way" interview with Page & Jaan Uhelzski & Janine Safer where questions had to be relayed thru Janine even though Jaan & JP were sitting feet away from each other.

One way to lighten the mood away from the sturm und drang of 75-80 would be to make the last quarter of the doco a "what they did next". Even though JPJ & Page haven't released as many records as Plant post-Zep, the documentary could focus on Page's remastering / alternatives work and Jones' production. Doubt any of this will happen though.

joshm2286 likes this.
  15. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

So, if you were paying for and releasing a documentary into your personal life, why would you feel obligated to discuss the bad things you did; the things you regret; and every time you shat the bed? It’s a rather ridiculous notion that Led Zeppelin would have to do this; especially when they are celebrating a special event like a 50th anniversary. Some bizarre thoughts here on what is and what should never be.

16. WarEagleRK

Well god forbid anyone throw ideas out there. Shame on everyone. Bands have never done such things as release documentaries in celebration of their career.

17. WarEagleRK

It can be a celebration of the musical career of Led Zeppelin and briefly touch upon any major negatives enough to make sure it was covered and still be a great documentary. It doesn't have to be Motley Crue the Dirt style where they have no embarrassment or remorse for being idiots. The Petty and Eagles doc had enough balance and focused more on the music overall. No reason Led Zeppelin couldn't do the same.

That said, I agree with everyone else that I doubt they would do it.

joshm2286 and ohnothimagen like this.
  18. ohnothimagen

He has mentioned it on occasion, mind ya he's also had an added fourty years of perspective on it. I cringed when I read Keith Richards in Life talking about his young son drying of cot death while the Stones were on tour- "I hardly even knew the little s.o.b." was how I recall Keith put it. Pretty classy.
    Among other things. I'm a '77 tour fan but still admit there's a lot of stuff that went on there only the hardcore Zeppelin freaks would want to know about. Like I said, the Trampled Under Foot book was plenty for me. That said, I'd love to see Dave Lewis do a book on the '77 tour along the lines of the one he did on the 1980 tour.

19. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Sounds like a wonderfully naive idea. Anyone can write a book or make a documentary exposing Led Zeppelin. I can’t imagine why any sane person would do that of their own volition on the occasion of a celebration that they are bank rolling.

Sean and joshm2286 like this.
  20. Danny Duberstein

Danny Duberstein Forum Resident

The Uncut interview where Page talks about the Japan tapes is from 2014. It was in a recent issue but it’s a reprint of an old interview. So when he says that its not on the table for a release, that was then not now.

Here is the link: Jimmy Page on Plant, Zeppelin, The Yardbirds and his session work - Uncut

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    laf848 and bobcat like this.
  21. WarEagleRK

Well thank you for your reply.

22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Ahhh, interesting... don't know how I missed that detail... okey dokey then; a little Japan '71 in glorious 24/96, anyone? After Earl's Court, of course...

23. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

looking forward to seeing what they have planned

24. That sort of enthusiasm and optimism will not be tolerated around here...

DHamilton and WarEagleRK like this.
  25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Apart from 5;1 mixes I have no interest as their live & visual history is already out there thus don't need anything else!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.