Used CD market

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Joey_Corleone, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2K that's quite a lot.
    I've got 1K. Built these high shelves, bit of a stretch to reach for The Beatles.

2. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I am finding this also. After spending the last couple of years buying only vinyl, I'm now easing off on vinyl purchases and gravitating toward CD's. I think it's partly because I've bought a great deal of my "must haves" on vinyl as well as the fact I can get more "music for the buck" with used CD's. I was in a big thrift type store last week and walked out with 31 CD's (mostly from the 80's and 90's) for $65 tax in. Not a bad score IMHO lol ;)

sennj and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  3. alexpop

And to think CDs cost a fortune 30 years.

tmtomh and GroovyGuy like this.
  4. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

They still can depending on where you shop. I was looking for a fairly rare title online recently and found it going for anywhere from $19 to $74 landed at my door. I've found even with used CD's you need to know pricing and shop around if you're looking for something specific. That said, when I hit "the bargain bins" in the B&M world I usually just buy what I want as long as I don't think pricing is unreasonable.

Mr. LP Collector, tmtomh and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

Yeah ..oxfam has wised up. Got Moodies/Days mfsl gold cd for 21.00 couple of months back. Charity, can't really complain

GroovyGuy likes this.
  6. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

I have about 2500, and that number goes up almost every week. My big problem is storage. My son the carpenter has designed a new cabinet to go in my man cave that should hold about 4000. Now he just needs to find the time to build it!

Dave, Mr. LP Collector and alexpop like this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Good points, definitely. The DC metro area also has CD Depot (I think they actually write it as CDepot) in the MD suburbs, which is enormous and is the only place in the past 5 years I've gotten decent money selling/trading in used CDs.

8. alexpop

Storage
    I've put of building another one for a few months now. Thing is, once filled you start to accumulate even more.

Darryl D. likes this.
  9. alexpop

Think resaleability factor with CDs is the same as DVDs now, maybe less. Sorta worthless ..least, 90%. I think privately swapmeet Garage sale. a buck each is a good deal.dont think I could be bothered myself.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  10. I have over 3,000 CDs and selling CDs is such a pain but that is what I am trying to do, mostly using eBay. At least after I list them it is easy to relist those that don't sell. I sold about 100 last year and at that rate I will need to live to 100.

Tjazz likes this.
  11. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I listen to quite a bit of bluegrass music these days, have been a fan of it for decades. That's one genre of music where the prices haven't dropped down to $5 or thereabouts. I think to a smaller extent would be reggae and folk with some exceptions. My favorite bluegrass people would be John Hartford, Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Bill Monroe, and the New Grass Revival--of course there are several others. I've seen some of Monroe's stuff go for a budget price but for Hartford and the NGR buying one new is generally $12 and up.

Having said that, I DO realize that not that many collectors are into bluegrass. My own experience with selling is that whenever I've had bluegrass cd's for sale at a swap meet people have been buying from $5 to $7. And I always knock a dollar off the price-always.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

One of the CDs I picked up on Sunday was Pink Floyd "The Wall", white fatboy case, it had an original price sticker for £30.99 although it had been reduced to £10.99, I preferred the 25 pence it cost me.:righton:

stillrockin likes this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, Reggae prices are still holding up better than most, it's demographics, Reggae CDs are bought by middle aged and older people, mostly men, the youngsters prefer their "vinyls" or just stealing it online, I know from selling some last year that rare Prog rock also fetches money on CD, I guess it's a similar age group buying them. Anything that sold well and was popular seems to be worth nothing, over here we have companies that buy CDs by post, you scan the barcode and for most they give you pennies, that's really helped convince people CDs are worthless which maybe why I'm getting them so cheap, the big drawback is room, I think I've picked up over 1,000 in the last year, I'm getting overwhelmed, but the time to buy them is when you see them, a few years and they'll be a lot less common, or more money again.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  14. alexpop

No problem as there so plentiful that you can not only buy digibooks. but jewel cases as well at the same time

15. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I think over the years, I've sold back maybe 200 CDs, or so (no regrets - pretty sure REM's Monster was one of them).
    But I don't think I've sold back a CD for well over 10 to 15 years!

16. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

Yeah, that's one brick-and-mortar store in the D.C. area that I actually haven't checked out yet since moving here about four years ago. Maybe I should.

A lot of the reviews on Yelp say that CD Depot in College Park is really unorganized, which is one reason I've stayed away. But it sounds like maybe I should at least give it a try.

Almost all of my recent visits to brick-and-mortar record stores in the D.C. area have been to CD Cellar in Falls Church. It's a well-run store that has good turnover in the bins and generally sells items (CDs and vinyl) that are in nice condition for being used. It's also convenient for me in that I live in Northern Virginia and can make the drive over there without too much hassle. There's ample parking at the store.

There are some fairly solid record stores in D.C. itself, and many of them are clustered in the same general vicinity. Red Onion is one such store. But they're generally all-vinyl. I like vinyl, but I'm a bigger fan of CDs (including used CDs), which is why I haven't visited those stores in a while.

Another option is to make the 40-mile-or-so drive up to Baltimore and visit two stores I like -- Sound Garden (which still sells some new CDs, something that virtually no independent record store in the D.C. area does in bulk) and Trax on Wax in suburban Catonsville. The latter store is a well-organized all-vinyl shop. But I haven't made the trip to Baltimore in a while either.

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Big Jim's Records in Buchanan/Montrose, NY is opening a second location in Hawthorne, NY on Record Store Day April 21st.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Wow, is that place still in existence? I use to pass it on my daily commute when I lived in the DC metro area. I wish I knew then what I know now.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I have 6,500 CDs.

20. Used cd's are still mostly $8.50 here at Everyday Music in PDX except for the stuff that really isn't desireable.

The other week, I paid $17 for the 3cd set of Nick Cave b-sides & rarities.

21. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

So how/where do you store 'em? Not @ 6500 yet but working on it. In the neighbor hood of 4000+ (maybe 4200).

22. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Agree w/ "storage" problem. 1-2 years ago built a unit for growing collection, now need another. They are scattered in a couple of racks now, in several rooms. Have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000+ currently and will be building a wall unit next week that will take 3500-3600. Balance and future purchases location yet TBD.

Keep telling myself (and wife says same) to slow down w/ purchases. And then I see things like my last two buys, 32 lbs of CDs (was actually 162 discs) for ~$38 and 40 CDs for $50. Both, especially latter, had several CDs that I wanted along w/ some others. So hard to refuse. By going this way have "discovered" a lot of bands/artists I never would have tried or learned of buying singly. Now, where to put 'em.

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, both of my stores charge a lot for CDs (more than I would typically pay online), so it's a rare purchase. I mostly buy from charity shops and my local entertainment shop, which is owned by the sam people who own Music Magpie/decluttr website, and online.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It's bit torrent that made already low value CDs near worthless and s reduced the value of collectable CDs with good mastering. I noticed the same with SACDs when the PS3 was able to make bit perfect rips, and even more when 4 or 5 stand alone Blu-ray/SACD players could do the same.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Get to the boot sales, people are offloading their collections and generally the prices are really cheap, sure some weeks you may get nothing, but other weeks you'll be overwhelmed with good titles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.