Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Already got Brave New World and Dance of Death from Target. That was fast. Haven't cracked 'em open, but dang, there's a lot of vinyl here.

CBackley, Vinyl Fan 1973 and DoF like this.
  2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Had to spin BNW again last night, just to take it all in again.

Grow Fins, DoF and cmarti like this.
  3. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

I own the original normal US retail one and the US promo and both suffer from IGD too.

My RSD edition also was mastered by Chris Bellman, the album sound so beautiful.

DoF and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  4. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I'm listening to my copy now, for the first time... And, to my ears, the sound of this version is more, dare i say... Majestic?? My comparison is only to the CD, which always sounded clogged to me.

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

You just hit the nail on the head, it does sound Majestic! You are totally correct in saying the CD is congested, I always thought so and it ruined the experience for me as BNW is in my top 5 Maiden albums.

This vinyl master by Chris Bellman breathes new life into this album and opens it up in a way that didn't exist before. Everything is so clear and separated, it's incredible. I find myself listening to it and totally transfixed with the music, I get lost in it. I simply love this pressing, I may have to order a back up and keep it sealed.

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Interesting idea.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Somewhere In Time
    Label: EMI ‎– 50999 972955 1 8
    Series: Iron Maiden Limited Edition Picture Disc
    Format: Limited Edition, Picture Disc, Reissue
    Released: 25 Feb 2013

I think it's the same remaster as on 2014 reissue because there's the same chewed tape sound on "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner".

Gosh, what a masterpiece this album is.

I've got to keep running the course
    I've got to keep running and win at
    All costs
    I've got to keep going be strong
    Must be so determined and push myself on

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Love Somewhere in Time. I know many consider it the point that Maiden went "off", but it's an album that I adore. Absolutely fantastic cover as well, with so much to discover on there.

Do you have the 7"s from this album as well? Love the sci fi themes on those...

9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Yes I have these:

Iron Maiden: Wasted Years (1986) [2014]: www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-Wasted-Years/release/6328350
    Iron Maiden: Stranger In A Strange Land (1986) [2014]: www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land/release/6328335

Grow Fins likes this.
  10. Spirit Crusher

Totally agree...I was only 11 and obsessed with Maiden when this came out, plus sci-fi like Star Wars, Blade Runner, Dune, etc., so this album became an instant favorite. The first full album of theirs I got; I managed to use some kind of allowance money to get Live After Death in 1985 on LP (which I still have...Traugott rules!!) Sadly I only had Somewhere in Time on cassette. I still have the Stranger in a Strange Land poster.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Agreed. I'm obsessed with that album, always loved it. So many layers. That and Seventh Son, just incredible records.

12. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Those two are my personal faves as well. I have never minded the inclusion of synths in the Maiden sound - for me it makes it all the more unique. And for the preceding period I look no further than Live After Death, which is just a stellar, stellar album (let alone a stellar live album). And again a really great cover.

I remember seeing the Maiden records in the store as a kid in the 80s, and being enticed and spooked by them at the same time. I have particularly vivid memories of Seventh Son... and that otherworldly cover. It must have imprinted itself in my subconscious, as it's one of my absolute favorites now. And that is despite having lived through nu-metal as a teenager in the 90s, when they were at a low point in terms of output and coolness. It's curious how the mind works!

CBackley, DoF and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Great memories here. I feel the same as you, never minded the synths, and they just add another texture to what they were doing at the time. For me BNW and BOS reminds me of that era and gives me the same feeling I had back in 1988 when I saw them on the Seventh Son tour.

The first albums I bought myself were Killers and Maiden Japan on vinyl. Then my friend lent me his older brothers copies of Beast and POM, and then I was bonkers for this group. Then I found Powerslave on vinyl on a family trip to Halifax.

My Mom sealed the deal Christmas morning when she gave me LAD on vinyl. I must have played LP 1 for hours before even putting on LP 2. I just sat on the floor in front of the stereo and stared at that gatefold and I was hooked. I covered every inch of that album, reading every word and studying every photo.

The big day came when a friend loaned me the VHS of the LAD show and it was so cool to actually see the band perform the songs that I loved right off the live album. Also, to see mummy Eddie come out from the Sphinx head was enough to send me over the edge!

What a band.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Spirit Crusher and DoF like this.
  14. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Stranger In A Strange Land
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564624850
    Format: 7", Single, Reissue
    Released: 21 Nov 2014

[​IMG]

15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Live After Death
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564624865 Format: 2 × Vinyl, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram
    Released: 27 Oct 2014

[​IMG]

CBackley, Grow Fins and superstar19 like this.
  16. Spirit Crusher

Brave New World: I've played only Wicker man so far. MPO and NL in the deadwax, and a runic symbol. Sounds good. Lots of lower mid-range (not quite bass?) energy, at least on my system. I haven't listened to the CD in years, so can't comment on a comparison.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and DoF like this.
  17. Spirit Crusher

Speaking of Live After Death, have you guys seen the 1st draft cover? I had a double spread of it from a rock magazine for years; I'll have to look for it.

Re: Brave New World, I guess the EU press has CB in deadwax? For sure Chris Bellman? Strange. Oh well.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and DoF like this.
  18. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

This is becoming very common lately, records labels saving money I guess!

DoF likes this.
  19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Why strange?

20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

This?

[​IMG]

CBackley, cmarti and Spirit Crusher like this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes my EU BNW has CB in the deadwax.

I never saw the first draft, can you post it?

DoF likes this.
  22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Oh I’ve seen this, but I didn’t think it was a first draft, I thought it was an alternative promo photo used in magazines and posters at the time.

DoF likes this.
  23. Spirit Crusher

I could be wrong; I thought I read an interview with Derek Riggs or Smallwood about it.

Re: CB, I find it odd because he's based in the US, yet cut for an overseas market. I don't see how that's economical, for one.

DoF likes this.
  24. DoF

DoF Less is more...

LAD: what a great live album! I remember I had this on two cassettes, in the last century :) and listened to it on my walkman, all the ...ing time :)

CBackley and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  25. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– The X Factor
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 0190295852009
    Format: 2 × Vinyl, Reissue, Remastered , 180 Gram Black Vinyl
    Released: 19 May 2017

Lacquer cut by Chris Bellman
    The remasters are the 2015 digital remasters

Transitional Maiden, so good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018