New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Too bad they don't release this as a hi-res download. I'm a big fan of Cry.

Dil likes this.
  2. Dil

Dil Forum Resident

The difference is dramatic. The original 16 bit CD issues are loud as heck but the SACD is wonderfully quiet and dynamic. Downsampling is absolutely fine too, you don't lose much in the conversion to PCM 24 or 16 bit.

After a decade of not caring about the Minds' new product, it was initially OSATS and then Cry whi h brought me back into the fold

DTK and Dave 81828384 like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't think Sparkle is "no content". The first side is all great songs, with some pretty deep lyrics.
    It's just that it's hard to hear them, and the bass :)

I don't recall reading one positive review of Real Life. I think the one in Q mag was positive, that's it.

Dil likes this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neon Light was out on SACD too. I have the SACD and the regular cd but have never compared them....

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  5. Dil

Dil Forum Resident

No DR numbers for either so it would be interesting if you did compare, mate.

DTK likes this.
  6. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Well, that part of the post was not intended to be included.
    Something about the board, when you reply and quote, and then decide to trasch the post, next time you post, the quote you didnt use, is suddenly there....and if you are not paying attention to it ( as I dis not) it get i cluded in your post.
    Im talking about positive reviews.... wich is wrong... I keep confusing the title Real life with Real to real... Sorry for the confusing post!

Dil and DTK like this.
  7. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Guys, I just compared Charlie's solo in Barrowland Star with his solo in Celtic Strings.
    They're very much identical.
    Barrowland Star is truly - literally- nostalgic :rolleyes:
    Repurposed (albeit rearranged) instrumental + additional strings + lyrics = "new" song

Dil and Stuart S like this.
  8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Well Jewelers To The Stars is just nearly identical to the Police's "When the world is running down, you make the best of whats still around."

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm a bit surprised at the vitriol for this album by others in the thread. Granted I havent played the whole thing in many years, but the opening two tracks are outstanding and that alone elevates it for me over the material from '95 to '05.

10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It's ok but a game of two halves. Much better than Graffiti Soul which I never see getting slated...

11. sunking101

Not just the guitar, it's the whole structure and melody of the song.

12. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

That is a great and brilliantly worded question. I seem to remember Real Life was in the mix right at the time Losing My Religion was all over the place. I love See The Lights, it's a perfect song with plenty of edge and accessibility.

Surly, DTK and ian christopher like this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it's two things. It's the first SM album that's Jim + Charlie and session musicians. And they only had gas in the tank for half an album.

Imo, tracks 1-4 are stunning. 5, 9/10 and 12 are good. The rest is mediocre.

1. "Real Life" 4:53
    2. "See the Lights" 4:22
    3. "Let There Be Love" 4:57
    4. "Woman" Burchill, Kerr, Lipson 4:40
    5. "Stand by Love" 4:04
    6. "Let the Children Speak" 4:16
    7. "African Skies" 4:52
    8. "Ghostrider" 3:22
    9. "Banging on the Door (Intro)" 1:16
    10. "Banging on the Door" 4:22
    11. "Travelling Man" Burchill, Kerr, Lipson 3:34
    12. "Rivers of Ice" MacLachlan, Simple Minds 3:30
    13. "When Two Worlds Collide"

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They are exactly the same...is that odd? The regular disc is the US release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: C:\Users\Neon Lights (Eagle WK55944)\
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.62 dB 01 Gloria.wav
    DR7 -0.30 dB -8.13 dB 02 The Man Who Sold the World.wav
    DR5 -0.20 dB -6.75 dB 03 Homosapien.wav
    DR8 -0.20 dB -10.03 dB 04 Dancing Barefoot.wav
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.75 dB 05 Neon Lights.wav
    DR9 -0.10 dB -9.80 dB 06 Hello, I Love You.wav
    DR8 -0.20 dB -10.61 dB 07 Bring on the Dancing Horses.wav
    DR6 -0.20 dB -9.72 dB 08 Needle and the Damage Done.wav
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.10 dB 09 For Your Pleasure.wav
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.12 dB 10 All Tomorrow's Parties.wav
    DR6 -0.90 dB -8.60 dB 11 Being Boiled.wav
    DR8 -0.30 dB -9.50 dB 12 Love Will Tear Us Apart.wav
    Number of files: 12
    Official DR value: DR7

Analyzed folder: C:\Users\Neon Lights (Eagle EAGCD194) (HDCD)\
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.62 dB 01 Gloria.wav
    DR7 -0.30 dB -8.13 dB 02 The Man Who Sold the World.wav
    DR5 -0.20 dB -6.75 dB 03 Homosapien.wav
    DR8 -0.20 dB -10.03 dB 04 Dancing Barefoot.wav
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.75 dB 05 Neon Lights.wav
    DR9 -0.10 dB -9.80 dB 06 Hello, I Love You.wav
    DR8 -0.20 dB -10.61 dB 07 Bring on the Dancing Horses.wav
    DR6 -0.20 dB -9.72 dB 08 Needle and the Damage Done.wav
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.10 dB 09 For Your Pleasure.wav
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.12 dB 10 All Tomorrow's Parties.wav
    Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR8
    ==============================================================================================

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The bass part is indeed similar, otherwise they are very different songs.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It sounds like they took the multitrack of Celtic Strings, replaced/omitted a few parts and overdubbed strings and vocals.
    Now, I'm not sure why everyone things this is BAD. Indicative of laziness, dearth of ideas?
    I dunno, Barrowland Star is a good, melodic, fully realized song.

Dil likes this.
  17. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Yesterday I streamed Real Life, Good News and Neapolis. And you know what? I enjoyed them all.:yikes: I must have mellowed a lot since the 90s. :targettiphat:

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I will pull it off the shelf again - thanks!

DTK likes this.
  19. sunking101

I never said it was bad, I just confirmed that it happened. If it had come from an old demo or was a track left on the cutting room floor from previous album sessions then fair enough but it is a little strange to lift the song from a previously released track. I guess they're hoping that not many people bought the She's A River single to hear this B-side. :D

For me it's the best song on the album, along with the other 'familiar' closing track Sense Of Discovery.:D

Dil and DTK like this.
  20. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I don't think that is accurate at all. It is more like listening to paint dry.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  21. Dil

Dil Forum Resident

Yes hardly anything in it.

NGD SACD hits average of 11.
    OSATS and Cry SACD hit average 9 compared to 6 on CD.
    Best of SACD hits 8 average
    OUAT DVD-A is average 9
    SITR BDA is average 10

Sometimes, albums use same mastering for all, other times different. Strange indeed.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Gimme a bucket of that paint, cause it's delicious.

Dil likes this.
  23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

it's not technically an official mix, but johnson somerset has a remix of 'magic'

he's also done one of 'she's a river', along with several from big music, and others.

all of them are excellent, and some get digital releases.

later

DTK likes this.
  24. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

You can do much, much worse than that run of albums.............and that's considered their "banana peel" with Neon Lights, Cry being their dusting themselves off and getting back at it. Just watching the performances on Leno and Arsenio and wondering how it was that they were about to lose any momentum carried into the 90's, it looks and sounds like a top performance from a band on top of its game if you weren't too, too knowledgeable of their history. Longtime fans are seeing a band that had a huge part of its soul torn out and trying to muster a good album. The GNFTNW honestly could have been another band to anyone not familiar with them. Such a different image and sound, even though I like the album very much....it was just such a departure.....then right back to that edgy part of their creativity with Neapolis. Very interesting period.

DTK likes this.
  25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I disagree, I think the b-side is a stronger track than most of the bonus tracks on the deluxe edition, and some of the actual album tracks,.

It's got a nice experimental feel to it, that links back to their earlier sound, than anything current from them.

later

onionmaster, DTK and godslonelyman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.