Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Thanks. That tells me it is a different process for each of the recordings. Not all Springsteen DSDs come straight from analog. Thanks.

monotubevibe likes this.
  2. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I always edit my tags with dbPoweramp, as I don't much like mile-long titles, etc. I'm equally nerdy about internet links. I can also understand people want a lot of info, especially regarding classical.

Spitfire likes this.
  3. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

4. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

Cover art is a very mixed bag too. In 8 out of 10 cases google (tools - big cover art enabled) and fanart.tv are my best friends...

5. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Ed Hughes and cordobaman like this.
  6. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

MrRom92 likes this.
  7. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

jfeldt likes this.
  8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Holly Cole - Holly
    Alice Cooper - The Sound of A
    Steve Miller Band - Sailor

plus much much more...

9. IndyLions

IndyLions Forum Resident

Just took advantage of the 20% off storewide (for 2 or more titles) to pickup a fair amount of Hi-Res Chicago in 96/24. Chicago XI, Hot Streets, 16, 17 & 18. That takes the cost per title below $15 - not bad. I've already got most of everything else through the Quadio Blu-Ray Box (192/24), the Mofi SACDs of CTA & VI, and the Steven Wilson remix (96/24) of II.

Also picked up a JD Souther album I had been wanting to get for a couple of weeks (Tenderness) in 44.1/24. All in all, not a bad deal. The last JD Souther I picked up (Natural History) sounded really, really good.

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Where is that 20% deal?

11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’ve noticed the same. Seemed for a time it was a safe bet any major label pop release would get at least a 24 bit version, and usually not more than that. But it seems now even that’s not guaranteed.

I ended up sticking with CD for the new Taylor and for Camila Cabello’s album as it seems that’s as good as we’ll get. which is fine by me, the JP cd actually has a couple of bonus tracks. But in the cases where better is actually offered then that’s what I focus my efforts on getting.

jfeldt likes this.
  12. Autovino

Autovino New Member

This is a great thread, very informative.

In your experience, who has the best quality version of Michael Jackson "Thriller"?

I am in the UK so seem to be limited to Qobuz or Onkyo/Technics Tracks. Unless there is anyone else offering the album here?

Appreciate your thoughts.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

As long as you get the SACD mastering (DSD, 24/88.2 and 24/176.4) and not the Special Edition 25th anniversary or whatever it's called, you'll have a great-sounding download with full dynamics.
    To look for Hi-Res downloads: Thriller

14. Autovino

Autovino New Member

Thanks for the info and link, very helpful!

Plan9 likes this.
  15. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I've just bought Joni Mitchell's 'Hissing of Summer Lawns' 24bit 192kHz from 7Digital UK. It sounds good, but there's nothing above 24kHz, which suggests that it's an upscaled 48kHz transfer. If anybody has bought it from a different vendor, could they check it and let me know if it contains anything that I'm missing? (At my age, I'm unlikely to hear anything near 24kHz anyway, but I just feel that I've not got everything I paid for!)

Thanks folks.

16. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Santana - Santana's Greatest Hits
    The Official Sonny Rollins Page - Sonny Rollins On Impulse!
    Patti Smith - 8 albums
    Ben Folds - supersunnyspeedgraphic, the lp
    Keith Jarrett, Jack DeJohnette - After The Fall (Live)

Plus much much more...

TonyCzar likes this.
  17. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

+1

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. Bytor Snowdog

How long after announcing does it usually take before the album is actually available?

19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Great to see the new Michael Schenker available, but, man, am I disappointed about Santana's Greatest Hits; it's the wrong one! I thought it was the iconic one with the red cover that was released on SACD. Different tracks!

20. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Patti Smith downloads may actually work here, as most of my CD's are DR9 with Horses excepted, DR13. Have the Horses so called "Hi-Rez" too, piece of horse manure. :D

My horse CD is mastered by Bob Ludwig, Arista 251 112, Electric Lady Studios, NY.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    art and TonyCzar like this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Would that be from before the 1996 catalog refresh, when she came out of retirement, and the discs included bonus tracks? I responded to you elsewhere, in the thread that you started, that picking out 3 new hi-res titles at random frm HDTracks ("Radio Ethiopia", "Gung Ho", and Banga"), they don't even hit DR9.

Vorlon and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  22. art

art Senior Member

Don’t even hit a DR9? Man.

23. Bytor Snowdog

If you are saying many of her albums were very compressed to begin with and therefore the hi-res stuff coming out shouldnt be worse and maybe even better, from a dynamics point of view, I hope your right.

I was looking at "Twelve" and its 2007 original version was DR7.

Vorlon likes this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Well, All I can say is that I listened to three albums Sunday ("Radio Ethiopia", which is rather short), and "Banga" and "Gung Ho", which are a little longer. All were 96/24. And (it seems such a shame that this is an accomplishment), no fatigue! Which surprised me, given the DR numbers up front, which are more dire in some of the cases than the CDs. By point of comparison, the Bowie box which Must Not Be Named ("New Career") - I can barely get through 35 minutes of any of that, at 192/24 - even "Stage".

In addition to the reduced DR on the new Patti, I think they took a few small liberties with mixes. She sings a wordless little melody at the beginning of "Lo & Beholden", repeated later, and it was so far down in the mix that I immediately went into a panic and assumed I had an equipment failure on my hands. It was that inaudible. I thought I had lost an entire channel. Ladders were retrieved and used. And "April Fool" from Banga -- I must be very accustomed to the single mix? (if indeed it is different?), because this also immediately struck me as significantly unfamiliar. But all three albums sounded great to me. It was a real thrill.

Now, as for the sources, there's not a lot of surprise there. Radio Ethiopia - that was produced by Jack Douglas in between Aerosmith albums, so that's going to have a certain sound. Although I haven't listened yet, I'm not surprised "Easter" (Jimmy Iovine) is the best on paper. It's certainly always been her best-sounding album. While I love "Gung Ho", many people objected at the time to the choice of producer Gil Norton as self-consciously moderne, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a bunch of great songs produced professionally. So sue me.

I must must must exercise self-discipline and not go buy the rest, as I already spent $100 (with coupon) this past weekend. I'm sure I will eventually have them all, but it's not like "trampin'" is calling me in my dreams. (Not too crazy about "Wave", either - especially that muddy Todd Rundgren production; but as the only 192/24 album besides "Easter" in this rollout, I'm wondering if it got spruced up and presentable for company.)

25. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Like the new 96/24 hires MGMT "New Dark Age". Nice and proggy!