Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny Duberstein

Danny Duberstein Forum Resident

Dio’s lyrics are hilarious. Particularly Lady Evil. Spinal Tap to the max.

blacksabbathrainbow and yarbles like this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I lost track of Black Sabbath after the first 4 albums with Ozzy, but Ronnie James Dio did a fantastic vocal on "To Live For the King" on Kerry Livgren's Seeds of Change album. Since Kerry himself can't sing (although he's a top flight instrumentalist and songwriter), he invited some of his favorite singers to sing on different songs. If Ronnie's vocals with Sabbath are as good as that one, I definitely need to check it out.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

They’re just as good. Have you heard him with Rainbow?

CBackley, Rufus rag and Clanceman like this.
  4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Yes! Good vocals on the On Stage album.

Doggiedogma and GodShifter like this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I imagine so, though later on yeah they toured as "Heaven and Hell" (great show in LA!) by which time I suppose they felt everyone knew who they were. I think of this like Van Hagar-it's literally a different band, just with the same name, and I don't worry about it too much!

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Actually it makes me remember that often the record company is behind these kind of things. Hence "solo" albums turn into "band" albums (like Imaginos). I wonder if this applies to the Sabbath situation-either some remaining contractual obligation and/or "we'll only give you touring money as Black Sabbath"

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I just picked up the Rhino release of Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know on colored vinyl and is a great LP and the last studio output of this lineup and last for Ronnie unfortunately

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

That isn't a great song lyrically...but to suggest his lyrics are hilarious? I don't see anything funny in Children of the Sea, Lonely Is The Word, etc.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Dio’s only real problem with lyrics was trying to get a rhyme in on almost every line in a given song and, of course, using the imagery of rainbows and other assorted D&D imagery in so many songs. Around Dehumanizer he finally stopped doing that (at Iommi and Butler’s request) and, fortunately, stopped doing it in his solo work, too (at least not as much).

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  10. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I don't find them like Spinal Tap at all. How is "Lady Evil" hilarious?

11. Doggiedogma

I liked Dio's "D&D imagery" songs the most, THAT is when Dio was at his best and his best songs are esoteric. When Dio re-joined Iommi for Dehumanizer It would have made that album better if Dio did write in his magical/occult style.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

True but Dehumanizer was great in its own right. I went and saw that tour, fantastic

Curveboy, CBackley and Doggiedogma like this.
  13. Danny Duberstein

Come on, seriously? Spinal Tap is a pretty obvious parody of the likes of Dio and Sabbath.

14. Doggiedogma

Seriously, please explain how they are like Spinal Tap, I'm interested in your POV.

15. Danny Duberstein

Really? Ok. Well for a start, grown men wearing spandex and singing hilariously bad poetry about dragons and elves and Lady Evil who lives in Witches Valley. That’s quite like Spinal Tap.

But you don’t have to take my word for it, you can watch Dio himself talk about it in this video at 1.25

blacksabbathrainbow and Hermes like this.
  16. Doggiedogma

Wearing spandex - yeah so, Miles Davis wore spandex; bad poetry - IDK, I guess Tolkien is a parody too. I guess you don't think witches or evil ladies are possible, that's alright, but a lot of musicians practiced and/or believe in the occult and sing about esoteric things.
    Spinal Tap is a parody of music and the music business, Dio believed in what he wrote, he would down play his music, but he wrote about what he liked/was interested in.

tinnox and GodShifter like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's a bummer that the Dio Sabbath was so short-lived, but on the other hand, Dio's own band was fantastic, too, and we wouldn't have had as much of their material with a longer-lived Dio Sabbath. Meanwhile Sabbath did a good job with other singers, too.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A very debatable point there, sir. Srsly.

19. Terrapin Station

I wouldn't say it's debatable, really, since it's not true or false. It's just a matter of whether an individual likes something or not. How do you debate subjective opinions?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You're right, you cannot. If you like the Tony Martin and Glenn Hughes stuff, that's great. I find most of it lacking, but that's my opinion.

Zoot Marimba, jon9091 and Doggiedogma like this.
  21. Danny Duberstein

Yeah right. Ok. But it’s still like Spinal Tap! Best to just admit it and have a sense of humour about it like Dio did than try to deny it.

22. Doggiedogma

Well, Dio is not like Spinal Tap; Guest, McKean, Shearer were parodying Dio et.al., Dio did have a sense of humor but he was not writing in comedy. Heck, Miles has a an album named Sorcerer and one named Bitches Brew - pretty funny stuff.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Curveboy likes this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

RJD is actually my favorite Sabbath era. However, my all favorite all time favorite Sabbath album is Born Again (Gillan). I love much of the Ozzy era, I'm just a bigger fan of the tighter, more melodic sound of the Dio era.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  24. Terrapin Station

Probably at least half of the hard rock and metal bands who were active in the 70s and early 80s feel that at least parts of the Spinal Tap film are making fun of them specifically.

That just shows you how fun that era of those bands was. ;-)

Hermes and stax o' wax like this.
  25. Danny Duberstein

Ok. We’re kind of arguing different things here. I’m saying Spinal Tap was a parody of Dio/Sabbath et al. You’re saying they’re different because one is a parody and the other isn’t. Slightly different arguments. Probably best to just leave it there at this point.

Best to just leave it unsolved.

Doggiedogma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.