Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ultron9

ultron9 Senior Member

Good to know, I edited my previous post so you can see the record with similar issue, many areas of the record have this but play is unaffected as far as I can hear.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My AP 45 of Blakey's Moanin' has those on them.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

No, because it affected at least half dozen or more albums that came in the paper with poly lining inner sleeve. I edited my post so you might have missed it, RTI only switched to the pink plastic sleeves later on.

Also while they are cloudy, they are always distinct white lines. I want to say it was Joe Harley that posted about it when LD+3 first came out in the MM thread way back in 2008, but I do not want to rely on just my memory from 10 years ago.

ultron9 likes this.
  4. ultron9

ultron9 Senior Member

This is spot on...the silver lining seems to be that the sonics haven't been affected as I've played a couple of the ones affected in the past and they were ok.

Does anyone have sonic issues as a result of the marks on your copies?

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks, but I am only looking for MM :) I have fewer of the AP 45 Blue Notes remaining so not a big deal checking all of them.

In the half dozen or so cartridges I have heard from my own to friends (including an XV-1s and Koetsu Jade) they have never caused playback issues, but they will knock a record down a grade and I want to note this.

ultron9 likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Right, but I’m not talking about the pink sleeves. I’m wondering if those poly lined inners they were using caused the issue.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Oh gotcha, well I have seen it on RTI's pinkies as well. Cleaned Dexter Calling recently and put it into a rice paper sleeve, it came in one of the pinkies and it has the white lines. Anyone else can check Dexter Calling (AP 45 rpm) it is there.

And that material does not feel the same as the poly inner sleeves.

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

With the pink sleeves, I get a chalky feeling residue that washes off. With the AP 45s I’ve recently picked up, with the poly sleeves, it’s white marks around the record edge in a square pattern.

ultron9, mikeyt and recstar24 like this.
  9. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I thought I was the only one who experienced these weird “ghost” marks. They’re on one disc of my Kenny Dorham Whistle Stop. Doesn’t effect the playback but they kind of surprise you when you take the record out and these white marks are on it.

bluejimbop and ultron9 like this.
  10. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I have all the Fantasy 45 RPM Reissue 100 titles and all the Blue Note 45 RPM 50 titles from AP and 26 Fantasy and 9 Blue Note have these defects : it does not depend on the sleeves but is a pressing defect and confirm how RTI badly worked in that time.
    For $ 50.00 AP did no have to sell those records,I believe that for $ 50.00 You have the right to have a perfect record.
    Now the RTI pressed records have no these lines,but as QRP ,Pallas and others some records from these plantes are dished(convex on a side and concave on the other side) the quality control does not exist...

ultron9, Lucca90 and hvbias like this.
  11. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

[​IMG]i
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hvbias and bluejimbop like this.
  12. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

It's NOT a pressing defect: it comes indeed from the white papersleeves, the lines that you see is from the same glue that hold the ricepaper sleeve onto the white paper sleeve. I had this issue on different albums AP blue notes/MM Blue Notes/ AP Fantasy series. When you order titles from AP 45rpm blue note or fantasy you will see that even the oldest titles (when still in stock) AP changed the innersleeves because they knew that the innersleeve caused the problem (confirmed by Chad). It's wise to change the old white innersleeves... AP told that soundswise it doesn't cause problems, but I had 2 titles where you could hear the crossings of the white lines... Dexter Calling was one of them...

AaronW and ultron9 like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Do you by any chance have a list of titles affected, including Fantasy? I have seen it on several pink inner sleeve pressings as well where I was the first owner and bought from either Elusive or Acoustic Sounds. Unless those sleeves were also leaving white lines.

ultron9 likes this.
  14. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

How long ago did you bought the albums you're speaking of ?

15. ultron9

ultron9 Senior Member

Based on my own observations, I'm inclined to believed the white sleeves with lining are the culprits here, my copy of the AP 45 rpm of "Quiet Kenny" has this issue on one of the LPs as well and I replaced the inner with a MoFi sleeve. If one looks carefully at the linear marks, they correspond to the pattern where the glued ends affix the lining with the paper on those sleeves, the marks are the same size and shape. The pink sleeves had their own issues but didn't leave this kind of mark on the disks themselves.
    As a practice I use MoFi and japan rice paper inners with all new disks and mint older ones as well.

AaronW likes this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Looks like a few prices went up just as I’m about to have a few extra bucks for an order.

Any thoughts on 33’s of Search for a New Land, Cool Struttin or Ready for Freddie? New Land jumped from $50 to $65, Freddie went to $55, so I just want to triple check

17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I just got under the wire on Night Dreamer 33, looks like it went up too. That's a big jump for New Land but it's a great one :shrug:

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

New land is one of my favorites and most played MM's (I've got around 20 or so). Great solos and very open sounding. The ensemble themes are excellent. And when grant green kicks in, man it's over! Such a tight balanced album beginning to end.

19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

MM are the best prices and they still have all of them, Lee-Way and Candy are good if you don't already have them and most of the 2x45s at MM are $50 and a lot to choose from. There are other titles from Clark, Hubbard and Morgan for that price. Today I ordered Leapin' and Lopin' (Clark), The Cat Walk (Byrd), Goodin's Corner (Green), Open Sesame (Hubbard) and Puttin' It Together (Jones) - suites my budget I think.

recstar24 likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

Ooh I just got Night Dreamer last month too. And it’s a great one.

I think I’ll bite the bullet and get these 3, and they may be my last ones for a while. As of now those are my last 3 I like enough to justify the luxury pricing.

Fender Relic and recstar24 like this.
  21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I got New Land when it was lower priced but it's so good I can see springing for it even now at a higher price. Ready For Freddie and Cool Struttin'....I like them but not passionately like New Land.

recstar24 and guidedbyvoices like this.
  22. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Doh!

I planned for that as well as the 45rpm Grant Green 'Street of Dreams' to be my next purchase. Probably still will be, but that's what I get for procrastinating.

23. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Don't blame yourself, blame their gross business practices.

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The procrastinator is also excellent :)

Fender Relic and bluejimbop like this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

‘The Procastinator’ , is that an unreleased Lee Morgan song?