Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wonder if that is just a way to ensure that all the writers on the show get as much money as possible during the final seasons?

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Can that be right? Isn't it closer to 20 minutes at least?

MikaelaArsenault and GroovyGuy like this.
  3. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Usually it's 22 minutes but when we were watching last week's ep on the PVR last night we both noticed that the show seems shorter than other 1/2 hour shows. Don't know if that's the case or not but it sure does seem that way.

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

After the first set of commercials, the second set go for at least 3 minutes.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The actual running time varies from as low as 19 to 20-21 mins (ie, just the content itself, but including the short title sequence).

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Ok. The last few episodes I thought were pretty good. Am I just being lulled into mediocre taste or does anyone agree?

7. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I agree the last couple have been better, but that's not really a compliment. I watch out of habit, but for a few years this is a show on autopilot...except for maybe Parsons, they must all know that the party is over once this string ends so they are just phoning it in and sleeping like babies on piles of cash.

MikaelaArsenault, rburly and Keith V like this.
  8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I took a couple years off but have come back to see a few episodes this year. To my surprise the show has gotten better than where it was in the slump.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Parsons really doesn't need the show anymore, he's become a regular on Broadway (next year he'll star in a much anticipated revival of "Boys In The Band") where he always garners excellent reviews. Helberg does movies pretty regularly to good notices and Nayyar has done off-Broadway.

MikaelaArsenault and j4yheindeo like this.
  10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Last night’s episode wasn’t horrible.

11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Wish they would lose the annoying laugh track.

12. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

It's hard to watch it these days. They have a few laughs, but wow is it tired.

13. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I don’t understand why it’s hard to watch. It’s a light silly comedy, it’s lot like they’re trying to remake Citizen Kane. I still enjoy it.

MikaelaArsenault and Dr. Pepper like this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I like it as well!

15. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I said that that it's hard (for me) to watch it these days.

As someone who watched the show for years, I know what is (a light silly comedy) and not (Citizen Kane).

But my point, having watched it for many years, is that it is not what it once was and that happens to tv shows, especially sitcoms. This is normal. Sadly it's also normal that networks don't often pull the plug before the quality drops.

16. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Yet nobody seems to mention "Modern Family" - which reportedly will end in Spring 2019.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

My wife just tonight got around to watching the latest episode, I think she said it aired two or three weeks ago. Anyway, between the story and screenplay there were 6 people credited and this is the best they could do? I actually watched it with her, usually I just read or browse online but I watched tonight and she was the one reading. I asked her why and she said it just seemed forced this time ... she said she only finished because she thought I wanted it to. I asked her if she heard me laughing and she said no ...

18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's chucks fault for not being creative enough with less writers..
    there a lot hangers on .. on there..
    And dragging a good show once into slow death through the desert.

Benno123 likes this.
  19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

At least the got Penny into a yoga outfit for 10 seconds the week.

If they aren't going to let her do funny stuff she can show off the small stomach to big arms triangle thing she has.

[​IMG]

20. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

In sharp contrast to Bernadette’s small arms and big stomach!

21. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Side note: I saw Johnny Galecki's in the producer credits of new CBS series "Living Biblically". The actress who played Sheldon's mee-maw (June Squibb) had a bit role, as did Sara Gilbert aka Leslie Winkle.

22. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It’s generally not a laugh track, as they film in front of a live audience as much as possible.

John K.

23. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Right! Just wish they would tame the sound levels. Sometimes the level does seem to be better.

24. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Talk about phoning it in...they don't even try to come up with new ideas....like Happy Days at the end, just the Fonz saying, "Ehhhh".

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That's doesn't mean the laughing on the broadcast isn't fake as hell. Every line on the show gets the exact same length and volume of laugh. It sounds unbelievably phony. If that laugh track is real those must be some incredibly well-trained audience members to be able to replicate the exact same sound (and the one required "ooooOOOOO" every time someone implies anything risqué) every single time without variation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.