Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member

No

2. I generally like the early stuff, even though some of it's a bit tame and I've not heard it all, love the SwordfishTrombones and beyond period, lost him after Mule Variations (which sounds like a re-tread of past glories to me) but picked him up again with Orphans which surprised me it was so bloody good, all 3 goddam CDs of it.
    Last weekend I finally got round to buying Bad As Me.... first listen blew my socks off! It's top drawer Waits. I guess I own roughly half of his officially released output. Only record I have that hasn't clicked with me is Nighthawks At The Diner.

inaptitude likes this.
  3. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

I have not yet received my Mule LP in the mail yet and I preordered it. Anyone else in the same boat?

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Do you mean the B&N exclusive? Where’re you based? My order arrived today (I’m in London), but got snared in customs hell for a couple of days and I got notification of a charge on Friday.

It’s a really nice pressing, so I didn’t mind paying a bit more to get it.

5. findog3103

I ordered it from here: Mule Variations 2xLP (180g Remastered)

I'm in Philadelphia.

6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I just pulled the trigger and ordered all of the 1999-2011 remasters; I'm a real sucker for Waits.

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

A couple of "Small Change" questions here:

Has anyone heard the new reissues of "Closing Time" and "Small Change" yet?

How does their SQ compare to the first LP pressings?

And, in the booklet in the first pressing "Small Change" CD has language about being recorded "directly to two-track tape" (or similar language).

Was "Small Change" essentially recorded live... with no or minimal overdubs?

8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

They don;t come out until March

9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bull Moose has a yellow vinyl indie edition of Heart of Saturday Night, up for preorder.

10. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Heartattack and Vine always sounded very low to me on vinyl and digital. Like it was mastered at a lower volume. I always have to turn it up. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe they'll address it in the remix.

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I was alerted by a fellow member the colored vinyl Mule Variations is back up at Newbury Comics. Snagged it! Glad I held off on paying ebay flipper prices.

GentleSenator and oldjollymon like this.
  12. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

Awesome, thx for heads-up! I had just asked someone at Newbury last wk re: the possibility of these being available again & was told “sorry,” so v glad to see yr msg!

13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Got my Newbury Comics colored Mule Variations with the Waits/Brennan mastering. WOW I was not expecting it to be this good.

Only got thru side 1 but pressing so far is flat, centered, and quiet. Sound is incredible. I will have to compare with my Bellman.

Cover still has the note about being recorded, mixed, and mastered in analog but that could just be an artifact. Either way the sound is killer. Highly recommended.

oldjollymon likes this.
  14. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Yes, especially Jersey Girl always sounded very low to me.

15. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...picked up Mule, Real Gone and Alice, and just noticed Alice is the 2002 ver, not the remaster. Anyone have thoughts what the definitive one to have is?

Serves me right having tracked down a number of his first records in last year, including Japanese press of Closing Time. Ah, well, what's not to love about having multiple versions of a masterpiece? :)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Oy...had a few min with next week's Closing Time and the copy I had was a mess - even after cleaning it was popping and muffled. Oh, the joys of the vinyl lottery! It ships in the cardboard inner so that certainly doesn't help with things...

17. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Saw this on a list of Record Store Day releases. Hope these get a wider release than just this...

Preliminary Record Store Day ’18 Release List

Tom Waits – Brawlers Epitaph/Anti- 2 x LP – 4500
    Tom Waits – Bawlers Epitaph/Anti- 2 x LP – 4500
    Tom Waits – Bastards Epitaph/Anti- 2 x LP – 4500

johnnypaddock, Porkpie and Kevin j like this.
  18. findog3103

My copy of Blood Money arrived a little wobbly and when I emailed them they said all the records come from the same plant and a little wobbly is too be expected sometimes. They would not ship a replacement unless it affected sound quality. I sent a video to them to no avail.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

They might have a point. Is the record not perfectly flat, or is the sound "wobbly"?

To me... that's a totally different set of issues. I can deal with not flat far more than phasing...

20. findog3103

Well, the sound isn't wobbly, but the point is the didn't ship a mint item to me. If I ever wanted to sell it, I couldn't call it near mint.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And their response was: "Couldn't call it unexpected. No. 4"

DeeThomaz and findog3103 like this.
  22. Fa La La

Fa La La Well-Known Member

Williamson likes this.
  23. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Saving All My Love For You as well. I am interested in the remix of this one.

24. 2scoops

2scoops Forum Resident

I thought the Elektra reissues were remasters . The only remix I have heard of is 'Real Gone' from the previous batch of Anti reissues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.