The Warriors (1979)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinyl Socks, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver Thread Starter

The was a thread from a few years ago, but it had been locked. It seemed like a good thread, no fighting or arguing...so...
    Shall we talk more about The Warriors? We can re-open the old thread or start a new one:
    Warriors.....Come Out To Playaaaay
    The Warriors was filmed at night, so that might explain the lack of New Yorkers in most of the scenes.
    Just saw the Bluray version...that cartoon stuff has GOT to go! I immediately ordered the original DVD cut off of Amazon for $2.00.

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've loved this film ever since I first saw it (at a far too young age). The music and the editing are fantastic. The Baseball Fury's Chase is a perfect combination of both. The soundtrack still gets played regularly here.

I have the DVD, but always hoped for a Blu-ray with more than a mono mix. Unfortunately the "Director's Cut" doesn't seem to be an option. Strangely enough I watched a HD version of the original cut on Netflix a few years ago, which seems to have vanished by now. I'd love to have that one.

eric777, GodShifter and Vinyl Socks like this.
  3. Vinyl Socks

I was extremely disappointed in the Bluray "Ultimate Director's Cut"...to me, it seemed like someone convinced the director (Walter Hill) to spend some of his fortune on re-vamping the movie with terrible cartoons...
    Not to mention, the final scene is ruined by the freeze-frame cartoon, destroying the epic trek down the beach.
    I'm considering picking up the soundtrack on LP through Discogs -- at least that's in stereo!! ;)

wolfram likes this.
  4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

A friend of mine from High School is in a few of the shots in the park after Cyrus gets shot. The guy @2:07 running towards the camera with beige overalls/bandana around neck;

5. Vinyl Socks

I always felt bad for The Orphans...not much for fighting, and they lost the only girl in the neighborhood who could possibly get them into a fight (and probably other activities, too ;)).

Dubmart and P(orF) like this.
  6. Wally Swift

That used to be a fairly common record until the late 90's when they suddenly seemed to vanish.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

enjoyable for what it is, but man that acting is distractingly bad. Hill was never good with actors, imo, and that young cast seemed to have no direction beyond 'swing the bat this way".

8. Vinyl Socks

On LP? I'm curious about the sound quality.

9. wolfram

Well, one has vanished into my basement with the rest of my vinyl. :D I have long ago bought the CD, which for some stupid reason omits the last movie soundbit after "Last Of An Ancient Breed". :realmad:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  10. Wally Swift

I haven't seen the film or heard the soundtrack in ages but I seem to recall the soundtrack album is a really good compilation of tunes. Isn't the Joe Walsh song a version unique to the soundtrack?

carrick doone and Vinyl Socks like this.
  11. wolfram

See my post above. I don't really remember how the vinyl sounded, it's been ages. The CD sounds ok.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Great movie awful directors cut.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  13. wolfram

You mean "In The City"? Yes, as far as I know it's different from the Eagles version.

14. Vinyl Socks

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, he recorded the song for the soundtrack and the rest of Eagles loved it and re-recorded it for The Long Run.

footlooseman and Wally Swift like this.
  15. wolfram

There's a Spanish Blu-ray of the film and it says nothing about it being the "Director's Cut" anywhere on it. I wonder if it could be the original cut. It also seems to be available from iTunes in HD, but I don't buy movie downloads that are copy protected.

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

This thread gets better at night...

Actuarybrad likes this.
  17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Its a tribute to the film's power that at least two lines have endured forty years and become cultural memes: "Can you dig it?" and "Warriors . . . come out to play-y-yay" are brandished to this day.
    Pretty impressive for a movie that wasn't a big hit. Although, come to think of it, it was a midnight movie staple for years.

IIRC, Walter Hill then made two terribly undervalued ensemble films, THE LONG RIDERS and SOUTHERN COMFORT, before hitting paydirt with 48 HOURS.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A good movie with an interesting concept. It’s a favorite of mine but I recognize the problems. Still, I watch it about once a year.

EVOLVIST and Vinyl Socks like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

One of my favorite movies. I cannot count how many times I have seen it. Yea some of the acting is wooden but some of it is also pretty good. And the sheer number and variety of gangs is over the top. Love how the Baseball Furies never say a word.

I agree the cartoons in the Directo's Cut are absurd. I assume somebody in Hollywood is planning a remake.

Derek Slazenger and Vinyl Socks like this.
  21. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Wasn't the actor who played the leader of the Orphans the lead actor in Xanadu? Not that it matters.

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Whenever I'm in a large crowd I like to point and yell "the warriors killed Cyrus".

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Joe's version from the movie ...

24. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

It was great to see David Patrick Kelly as Jerry Horne again in last year's Twin Peaks.

[​IMG]

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

'Can You Dig It' pre-dates the Warriors. It's in the lyrics to Shaft from 8 years earlier for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.