Sonny Rollins Way Out West Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dminches, Dec 19, 2017.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I like this album but agree that he has done better. I also don't think I'll be laying down the cash for this one unless sound quality reports are off the charts. I have one of the later OJC reissues put out by Concord, probably a digital cut but I got it very cheap second hand. I would be more interested in a good CD version or picking up one of the older analog pressings rather than a fancy boxed LP version that's also a digital cut.

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed. You never know what you will get with a Concord release. It seems like they press wherever based on capacity and turnaround time. I do have some from QRP and RTI, those are usually the nicest sounding Concord releases. The ones pressed at United are the most iffy...

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The SQ of the OJC pressing from the 1980s is sufficient enough and can be found rather cheaply.

mr.dave and patient_ot like this.
  4. dannylin

dannylin Active Member

The one-sheet says:

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    • Deluxe edition
    • Records pressed at Quality Record Pressings (QRP) on 180-gram vinyl from lacquers cut by George Horn at Fantasy Studios
    Audio sourced from the original analog tapes
    • The original classic album in its entirety, plus an entire second LP of bonus material including previously unreleased tracks from the session: “No Greater Love” and an alternate version of “Way Out West”
    • New liner notes by Grammy®-winning writer Neil Tesser includes new quotations from Sonny Rollins from a new interview conducted especially for this release
    • Rare photos by famed jazz photographer William Claxton

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Bummer.

"However, while the new box set issue was "sourced from the original tapes", they were cut by George Horn from high resolution digital transfers."

Personally, I was hoping AP would eventually get another 25 titles from the Prestige/Contemporary/Riverside/Jazzland/Milestone
    catalogs and continue with doing beautiful original looking jackets on the 33 rpm format.
    Those Prestige mono and stereo titles are among my favorites ever, greatly prefered over 45 and
    overbuilt gatefold packaging and pointless 'deluxe' oversized boxes. imho of course.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Tommyboy likes this.
  7. Rudy M

Rudy M New Member

Sound Stage Direct is offering sale 25% off and this album comes out to $59.99 not to bad with free shipping (no tax if not in PA). The code is LP25

8. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

While I was really looking forward to the LP of this, I scratched that idea once I heard it went the digital route.

I am contemplating the hi-rez digital version (it's one of my favorite albums) as the outtakes seem fun. You can listen to some decent samples here:
    https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/18174

Anyone get it yet?

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That is indeed a great CD - over the years I have managed to pick up many of those old VDJs in the used bins for next to nothing and have seldom been disappointed.

And your vinyl mastering on AP is fantastic

With that combo, two and done

SteelyTom and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

The liner notes of the 24-bit, 192 kHz high-res download version states it was mastered by .Joe Tarantino
    you can now also stream it though Spotify etc.

Extince likes this.
  11. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Anyone have this yet?

12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Fremer's review is online, with sound samples.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ouch.

SteelyTom likes this.
  14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Good for Fremer. I’m glad he took Concord to task. Their specialty releases haven’t been all that impressive. Certainly not worth the prices they’ve been charging.

16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

What a shame the goofballs at Concord have put the kibosh on Analogue Productions' Contemporary, Pablo and Riverside series. Presumably there's a business rationale for it but I'm hard-pressed to think of one.

Jellis77 and Tommyboy like this.
  17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Fremer still graded the "Sound" at a 9. Ouch? Wow??

18. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

I was about to post the same thing. Despite all of the hand wringing and such, it appears only Fremer has actually heard any of this. Plus, I realize that we are in a "if this doesn't earn 5 (or 10) stars, it is worthless" culture, but in my world, 9 out of 10 is a winner. Of course, one can't unring the bell now since Fremer has weighed in, but it would be nice to hear from people who have actually heard this release. And no, I don't mean only two brief "Fair Use" samples.

RoyalScam likes this.
  19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

It's on HD Tracks too.
    Given that this is a digital production, if I end up getting it, I'll be getting the 192/24 files.

For the vinyl...
    if it was analog, I'd go for it.
    Digital on vinyl --> Nope.

SteelyTom likes this.
  20. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

This is a bleedin' disaster :mad: I really hope something can be done in the future and the work already done by AP can come out. I thought that things were quiet on this front.

I worry that major label digital LPs might be the only game in town and that the wonderful reissues by AP, Music Matters, MFSL etc. will be a thing of the past. Given that there are so many catalogs owned by so few major labels, these labels may find it difficult to license titles, when the majors are thinking why bother trying to find the master tape , when we can do it digitally ourselves. I really hope that doesn't happen and AP, MFSL, Impex , Intervention etc. can continue.

NorthNY Mark and SteelyTom like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The suits at Comcord probably think they can do this cheaper by cutting out AP and Bernie Grundman and setting up their own specialty label. So far, the results haven’t been so great.

SteelyTom and teag like this.
  22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I'm guessing most of the '9' is for Roy DuNann. The album was too well-recorded in the first place to trash it now.

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

And yet, even Fremer has made his peace with digitally-sourced vinyl.

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

That is my read as well. The sample comparison really said it all. There is no reason to buy this unless one is mainly interested in the bonus tracks.

SteelyTom and Tommyboy like this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What could have been if Concord didn’t shaft AP. I was hoping for a Phineas Newborn Jr. title.