New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG] ;)

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Sigh, once again no uniform, no big leader who guides McCartney in what path he should be going at, just a few heads who are too hyped to be working with a Beatle to tell him what's good and bad. Another 'New' in sight.

JLPMacca, Yorick, tagomago and 4 others like this.
  3. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Of course. That’s Moe, Larry, and Curly. They played that song Stairway To Heaven by Aerosmith.

theMess, Ringo Hendrix and Skywheel like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Another Gnu in sight:

[​IMG] ;)

theMess, DrBeatle, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  5. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

No, you have to stick to yaks!

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If the new album will be as good as NEW.
    That would be a good thing if one ask me. I think New is a mighty fine album

7. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Tedder also worked with John Oates on a song a couple of (solo) albums back. I expected a very commercial song, but it was not.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

As I always like to point out, Paul McCartney albums are always going to sound like Paul McCartney albums, regardless of which flavor of the month producer he works with.

Paul has been around long enough to bounce ideas around with whoever he works with but ultimately the final decisions are ( almost) always his .
    The only solo album I can think of where Paul let a producer really influence the final products sound might be Press To Play, in an effort to sound "hip and current ".

Ultimately because Paul is one of the greatest musical talents of his era he shouldn't have to worry about sounding hip and current, but I'm sure he doesn't want to be perceived as a nostalgia act.

And, I guess Paul has done pretty well for himself without listening to my advice . :p

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree-although I woul add Tig of war, and Chaos to albums were outside producers had a significant part in the albums sound. Otherwise I find the notion that Paul needs some grand leader when it comes to creating a new album bordering on the ridicilous. Guess he pretty much knows what he wants but a group of outside producers certanely can add a little something. I think New is a pretty consistent album regardless of the use of different producers. The consistence is the big musical know-how and skills that Paul has gained through his long and -even though everyone doesn t acknowledge it-extremely successful career.
    For goodness sake-stuff like Ram and Band on the run were produced by Paul himself and those albums are pretty good.

10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

If I were to produce Paul McCartney, I'd basically sit him down in a chair with an acoustic guitar, put a couple of microphones in front of him and say, "Now play yer songs". No overdubs, no punch ins, no edits, nuthin:righton: If he thought they recorded Please Please Me quickly, I'd have his next album completely done and dusted in about two hours!

theMess, tteal, Reader and 1 other person like this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I'll take another New

12. bward

bward Senior Member

Record Store Day list is out.

No Beatles, no McCartney. A re-issue of Pussycats is listed, however.

Could this be a sign that nothing is imminent?

I know titles can be added at any time, but there's not even a whisper of that, as far as I can tell.

Can you imagine the buzz that would be created if the list included something like "McCartney, Paul. 7". Title TBA."

Just reading the tealeaves.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  13. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

The last few years McCartney's Record Store Day releases were always in conjunction with an Archive Collection project.
    Since FITD was the last one for now it is no surprise that this time there is nothing planned for RSD.

The one thing I ask myself is the reason why there doesn't seem to be another Archive Collection in the first half of 2018.
    For me there is only one plausible answer and the Instagram pictures from the last few days seem to prove this.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If Michael Jackson had a album title called Bad.
    Maybe Paul's should be titled Good.

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Any new bonus tracks there?

16. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

If they're still recording the album will be released during the second half of 2018, at the earliest. Most vinyl pressing plants have a waiting time of three months.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Given how good NEW was, I'll take it.

18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I would say Kurstin and I think Ryan Tedder would have produce at least the tracks that he is involved in. It seems like the way he usually works. And if I had to take a guess, maybe Giles to tie everything together. Just speculation here, don't have a cow!! Lol!!

I would also say it also depends on how many tracks recorded during these sessions and which ones make the finished album.

20. He could call his new album "Wildebeest" and we'd be the only ones to get the joke.

The wildebeests, also called gnus, are a genus of antelopes, scientific name Connochaetes. They belong to the family Bovidae, which includes antelopes, cattle, goats, sheep and other even-toed horned ungulates. Connochaetesincludes two species, both native to Africa: the black wildebeest, or white-tailed gnu (C. gnou); and the blue wildebeest, or brindled gnu (C. taurinus).

theMess, Skywheel, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  21. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

My guess is that Paul won't be calling the album Happy Gnu Ear any time soon.;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  22. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

His live show is very much a nostalgia act, with loads of Beatles' tunes, so he doesn't seem to mind that aspect of it.

When recording new music, I think he may be at least partly motivated by the desire to impress his peers in the industry rather than his hardcore fans.

ohnothimagen and jammincrowe like this.
  23. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

When Paul is performing live, he's basically a nostalgia act.
    When Paul releases new music, he seems to be trying to come across as hip and cool.
    In both cases, he's trying to come across decades younger than he actually is.

24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You're only as old as the, um, age you were when you, um, wrote the, um, songs, er...

theMess likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Thank you.

;)

theMess, milo and sallymae_hogsby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.