Eurythmics on CD and remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Really cool photo of Eurythmics from their FB page .. prob from the "Peace" era BUT it states "Something stirs ..."

New album????????

2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

... been posts from 1984 era .. 1984 Soundtrack era too ...

4. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

interesting...

D-rock likes this.
  5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

At least for me that was the most difficult to find in their catalog, taking several years. Though when I did earlier this year it was only $3.99. For me the let down was being only lukewarm on the music, however the sound quality, but not the thin production, is excellent. Guess I'm just a Greatest Hit's type fan of the act.

c-eling likes this.
  6. Agisthos

Agisthos Active Member

I just compared the 1991 Greatest Hits - the US 14 track edition and longer UK edition. They are not the same. The US edition is slightly loudness boosted and slightly more compressed. More noticeable on their earlier songs like Sweet Dreams.

But even so, its still far better sounding than the 2005 ear bleeders.

So if you want a Greatest Hits, the one to get is the 18 track UK edition.

Robert C and yohalfprice like this.
  7. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

The 18 track edition has been reissued in 2015 on Sony. It's available brand new for cheap.
    https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-EURYTHMICS/dp/B00S1344T6
    I own it - it's a very quiet 80's style disc (Album ReplayGain: -2.1dB). So I guess it hasn't been remastered.

tmtomh, mikedifr0923 and sunspot42 like this.
  8. I suspect the than production has more to do with the transfers of early 80’s discs and/or source tape used for the transfer and less to do with the actual production itself. I had this on this on vinyl back in the day and it sounded fine.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  9. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

To my ears they sound much better than my original discs

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They're ear-bleeding loud and I'm not a fan of their hot EQ either.

The bonus tracks are a mixed bag. Some of them are great, but several I could live without. Also, one of my favorites ("Monkey Monkey") sounds like a vinyl rip...

11. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

"They're ear-bleeding loud and I'm not a fan of their hot EQ either"
    This!!!
    Dreadful.
    Lovely packaging....ha ha ha ha ha

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Your really exaggerating.

13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

No, he's not.

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's "you're", and no we aren't. DR values from the DR database:

Album | Original Master | Remaster
    Sweet Dreams | 13 (12 - 15) | 8 (06! - 12)
    Touch | 14 (13 - 16) | 10 (06! - 12)
    Be Yourself Tonight | 12 (12 - 13) | 7 (06 - 09) -- ear bleeding
    Revenge | 13 (11 -14) | 6!!! (06 -07) --ear bleeding, atrocious
    Savage | 14 (13 - 16) | 8 (06 - 11) --criminal, ruins a great record

Anything below 10 is going to sound radically different from these original DR values. When you get down to 6 you're actually worse than the Mastered for iTunes edition of Metallica's Death Magnetic.

No. Just effing no.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Robert C, tin ears and mikaal like this.
  15. Precisely the reason why I kept my originals for these. The remasters sound like ****.

mikaal and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

What's the story with Live-Rough And Tough At The Roxy? I have one of these.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The originals can be found in the Dollar bin.

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, most of the originals are getting pretty rare here in the US. The remaster of Touch for example can be had for about $6 on Amazon, but the original issue is still $16.99. (You can get it used, but with shipping it's around $5, and I've seen it going for that much used locally.)

c-eling likes this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think 1984 is the tricky one. Haven't seen too many original CDs in charity shops lately, but the used bins at my local entertainment store has them (£1.99 each or 3 for £5).

D-rock likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The only used titles besides the Greatest Hits comp I've seen was In The Garden and that was about 10-15 years ago.
    LP's I run into except In The Garden, 1984

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Are we talking about Eurythmics CDs? Did they do badly in the US?

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I just think around those years cassettes were still very popular (and cheaper). I had quite a few Eurythmics titles on the format. Manufacturing runs for compact disc may have been small. Even into the 90's I never once saw a title in a cut-out bin. (I would of bought em) :laugh:
    Even new stock in blister packs, I vaguely even remember more than one or two titles at a given time.

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I had Eurythmics on vinyl up to Savage. I went back and bought the CD's in the late '80s, but I was a huge fan. I doubt many people who weren't fans picked up the CDs of Sweet Dreams thru Revenge, so there likely isn't tons of stock.

Of course, there's a considerable amount of stock of everything now, because lots of people - even fans - are ripping their entire collections and simply dumping the discs to save on storage space.

Robert C likes this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I got my first record player in 1983, so compact discs weren't on my radar until the late 80s at the earliest. I didn't buy one until the 90s. I enjoyed some of the Eurythmics singles, but wouldn't call myself a fan inthe strictest sense of the word. But I've been enjoying rediscovering their music over the last few years. The fact that you could find lots of their original CDs led me to believe they must of sold loads, but as @sunspot42 said, even hardcore fans are dumping their collections. Interestingly, I rarely see their LPs at charity shops.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Obviously the situation is different over here but I see those RCA Eurythmics silver discs all the time in 3€ bins. Same goes for their vinyl counterparts. If I picked up every Eurythmics disc (cd or lp) I see for less than 5€ I needed to rent a warehouse within the space of three months:biglaugh:And also start to look for a new girlfriend.

I guess the answer is simple: Because these Eurythmics digital discs were released quite early in the chronology of the cd, they were simply in print longer and could be manufactured in larger quantities than... say The Cure cds that didn't come out until 1989. Just a theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.