How screwed over is Patrick Moraz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arriano, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arriano

arriano The California Kid Thread Starter

Yes was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017. And the Moody Blues are being inducted this year. Yet despite being a member of both groups, Patrick Moraz has been excluded both times.

What gives? And has anyone seen/heard Moraz's reaction? Maybe he doesn't care, but it seems like a big, big snub.

2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

super screwed over. maybe some day the nice will get in and he will feel a bit more screwed given refugee were a nice followup...

but when mainhorse get in in 2072 he will be vindicated.

Cassiel, RangerXT, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

His relations with Yes are apparently good because he's rumored to be appearing on the 50th anniversary tour. Apparently he wasn't inducted because of his short tenure with the band.

He left the Moodies on hostile terms so I'm sure he's not surprised to not be included there.

4. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think Chuck Leavell not getting in with the Allmans was a similar snub. Keys get no respect.

5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Haven't heard anything about this. Is it discussed in any thread here?

ian christopher likes this.
  6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The tragedy here is the Moody Blues being inducted.

patrickd, dirtymac, smoke and 10 others like this.
  7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Dont know but I've seen it mentioned on Progressive Ears-- a strong possibility but not confirmed.

9. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I’ve heard about it on the yesfans forum.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I've long been a champion of Moraz for his 1971 Mainhorse project.

jay.dee likes this.
  11. Somebody has to pay the price for Robert Trujillo's induction.

12. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Yeah, but what is ‘Rock and Roll’ about being in some museum, like a preserved moose?

The best monument to Patrick is his unbelievably brilliant ‘I’ album. Never heard anything like it, before or since.

13. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

It’s a boondoggle for the critical establishment, which in America craves academic respectability and imagines itself more important than the artists.

But in this case they’ve probably got it right. Sorry Patrick.

14. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

It's a sprawling mad genius masterpiece... the guy has serious chops! As also demonstrated on Refugee's 'Papillion'.

15. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

may i third that emotion. that superseded any yes, group or solo release on my turntable for years after it came out. one of music's most ignored masterworks.

Former Scientist likes this.
  16. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

...so late.

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Other Yes members who played a bigger role in the history weren't inducted either, notably Peter Banks and Geoff Downes.

18. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Fourthed.

micksmuse, Former Scientist and willy like this.
  19. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Ironically he was with them way longer than Denny Laine. Quite a shame really. I saw the Moodies many times with him and he struck me as a great musician and a good team player.

Patrick would make a good subject for a documentary film along the lines of that one about Rodney Bingenheimer.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  20. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I don’t think I would go so far as to say it’s better than the classic 6 Yes albums, or Fish Out of Water, but certainly a fantastic album.

21. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I love Moraz's playing, and Relayer is my favorite Yes album in no small part because of it, but I don't think you get booted by a band that hires a second drummer and keeps on a drummer who can barely keep time if you're a good team player.

I don't know the guy from Adam, but his history suggests that he struggles playing well with others. As Slash once said, if he he could aspiring musicians anything, it would be to become a team player. Because for those who can play well, the opportunities abound. And for those who cannot, their reputation will discount any level of talent they display.

zphage and AidanB like this.
  22. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, would this be Moraz joining Steve Howe's Yes?

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Graeme Edge has been there since the beginning and his poems were arguably an important part of the classic albums, so I don't think they could let him go easily. You may be right regarding Moraz's personality though.

24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

His work with the Moody Blues was first rate but his comments in Keyboard Magazine crossed a line. Not that I disagree with the things he said but he must have known it wasn't his place. Tough lesson to learn.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Bill Champlin was in Chicago for 28 and he got snubbed so I I think rhat puts him in the running For most screwed.

zphage, AidanB and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.