Gene Clark Solo Albums-album by album & *now* track by track on p. 23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jan 23, 2018.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Here is a full list--please point out or add any I've forgotten...I need to work in the Byrds reunion stuff...??

Covered so far...

1- Gene Clark with The Gosdin Bros 1967
    2-Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark 1968
    3-Through The Morning Through The Night 1969
    4-White Light 1971
    5-Roadmaster 1972
    6-No Other 1974

NOW:

7-Two Sides To Every Story 1977

To be covered still...

8-McGuinn Clark Hillman
    9-So Rebellious A Lover 1987
    10-Firebyrd 1987
    11-Silhouetted In Light 1992

NOW: truly a favorite of mine.
    Just as the title suggests...there are two sides to this story.

[​IMG]

Side one has a Dillard and Clark styled bluegrass-y feel. Ending with the amazing Give My Love to Marie...a cover, but covered so beautifully!

This one can tear me up every time. With gene's plaintively beautiful voice, it is perfection.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    D.B., davenav, AlienRendel and 2 others like this.
  2. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

Side two is a more No Other styled beauty. I just love the way Gene decided to give us two sides to his muse. Possibly confusing to the record buying fans, but Genius to my ears. We get the best of both of Gene's world.

The Bluegrass Zen Master.

This one also kills me every time--so amazingly beautiful.

Side two.

Past Adresses

davenav and indigo_m like this.
  3. lemonade kid

A full listen. Highly recommend the High Moon remastered release. Wonderful.

[​IMG]
    Two Sides To Every Story

D.B., Hep Alien, Dee Zee and 4 others like this.
  4. lemonade kid

Love that mysterious top on the picnic table--so Zen. Gene's son's I guess?

[​IMG]

I wish Gene could have been happy staying with his family at their paradise in the redwoods. He looks so very contented and healthy!

Hep Alien, 905, davenav and 2 others like this.
  5. lemonade kid

6. lemonade kid

7. lemonade kid

8. lemonade kid

9. lemonade kid

10. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

Love my RSO vinyl.

Hep Alien, davenav and indigo_m like this.
  11. lemonade kid

12. lemonade kid

So give us your love for Two Sides, everyone...and thoughts too.

:hugs:

davenav, indigo_m and AlienRendel like this.
  13. lemonade kid

1. Home Run King
    2. Lonely Saturday
    3. In The Pines
    4. Kansas City Southern
    5. Give My Love To Marie
    6. Sister Moon
    7. Marylou
    8. Hear The Wind
    9. Past Addresses
    10. Silent Crusade

EXCLUSIVE DOWNLOAD CARD WITH LP & CD!
    Live 1975 Gene Clark performances featuring fresh takes of Two Sides material performed by the short-lived five-piece Silverados band. Plus songs spanning Gene's career, from twangy updates of classics to never-before-released originals. Tracks also include a never-aired 1974 Gene Clark interview with legendary L.A. disc jockey B. Mitchel Reed.

highmoonrecords.com

w High Moon Records

Hep Alien, davenav and indigo_m like this.
  14. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

This was one of the last of Gene's albums that I was able to track down and hear when I was getting into his work. In some ways, it feels like his ambition here is scaled back a bit - it's less grand than "White Light" or "No Other" but the songs are uniformly excellent and I hear a lot of real, raw emotion in Gene's performances here. The High Moon LP pressing sounds really good.

D.B., Hep Alien, davenav and 2 others like this.
  15. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

"You are either just a newspaper boy, or you are either Babe Ruth".

That line always stuck in my head from the time I got the album.

905, davenav, indigo_m and 3 others like this.
  16. AlienRendel

Yeah, absolutely. The double "either" bugged me at first, but I got over it. Great song.

Man at C&A, D.B., davenav and 3 others like this.
  17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, definitely much less ambitious than N.O. There are great originals like Sister Moon and Past Addresses, and the masterpiece Lonely Saturday. The latter is an honest-to-goodness country music classic. Home Run King is great too, although not on the same level. I like In the Pines, but it's an overplayed song and would be better as a bonus track or something. The remake of Kansas City Southern I could live without. Marylou is pleasant but no more. Give My Love to Marie, on the other hand, is fantastic.

A good collection of songs with great moments, but not overall a great album, is my verdict.

Hep Alien, davenav, indigo_m and 2 others like this.
  18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Wow, I missed this thread somehow when it got started.

Question for the Gene Clark experts out there----why are some of the tracks on the Echoes compilation remixed, but others are not? Missing tapes?

19. AlienRendel

Also, I love him with that beard, even though it ages him a bit.

Hep Alien, indigo_m and lemonade kid like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Would have rather he had gotten to age the old fashioned way

21. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

I was delighted when this finally became available on CD a few years back. I seem to recall it was originally slated as a 2 CD release and was disappointed that all we got on the eventual release was a poor quality live recording on a download card.

I had hoped that other recordings from the era would be included like Wheel Of Time, Daylight Line and What Is Meant Will Be. There were also demos recorded with Thomas Jefferson Kaye in 1977 like Crazy Ladies and Last of the Blue Diamond Miners that would have been welcome additions. If I remember rightly, High Moon Records did reveal at the time that they were unable to get the rights to release the bonus tracks they wanted.

Whilst it is a regression from No Other, it is still a very enjoyable album. I think it's the only one in my vast collection where the best 3 tracks are at the end. Give My Love To Marie is also very good.

D.B., Hep Alien, indigo_m and 2 others like this.
  22. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I assisted with this release and wrote the notes that accompanied the “poor quality live recording.” Just so everyone knows, George Wallace undertook a lengthy, exhaustive search for bonus material. As is readily apparent from the care that went into the packaging, remastering etc., Wallace wanted this, HM’s inaugural release, to be first-class in every respect—including the bonus tracks. Since no alternate takes could be found (due in part to the modest budget, which necessitated a get-in/get-out approach), he had hoped to find, secure and include material from both sides of Two Sides: i.e., material by both Gene & the Silverados (recorded at drummer Marc Singer’s home studio) prior to the album sessions, as well as the post-Two Sides demos you mentioned, recorded by the KC Southern Band in 1977.

I get that people were disappointed by the fact that “all we got” was a download. Everyone wanted it to be a comprehensive representation of the era, especially Wallace, who is as big a fan of Gene’s as anyone (We should remember that, but for him, people would still be paying exploitive, exorbitant prices on eBay for copies of the flaccid 1990-era CD). In the end, of course, it was not to be, but it certainly wasn’t down to a lack of effort or desire. I’m very proud to have been a part of that project.

Chris M, D.B., Hootsmon and 14 others like this.
  23. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

The double either is definitely what made it stick with me too. Otherwise, it would have been a pretty blah line.

davenav, indigo_m, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  24. AlienRendel

I personally thought it was very well done, and the live show was a nice bonus.

Between that and The White Light demos and Lost Studio Sessions releases, it’s been a great couple of years for us Clark fans.

25. lemonade kid

Thanks for this, clarkophile. By the way--love your blog/site. Very good.

Hope to get this, but it will be a tough one--very limited!
    Of note to all--the Record Store Day in April will have a Gene Clark release!

Back Street Mirror-Gene Clark
    Release Date: 4/21/2018
    Format: LP
    Label: Entrée Records
    Quantity: 1300
    Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

Gene Clark, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee as a member of the Byrds, struck out on his own in 1966 but by early 1967 he was out looking for another label. These tracks are some of his efforts in recording as a solo singer/songwriter during that time. These recordings included backup by famous L.A Wrecking Crew (Leon Russell, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, etc.) along with special guest, Hugh Musekela. The 180g vinyl records were pressed at Hand Drawn Pressings in Texas on the newly designed and manufactured 'WarmTone' automated presses. Packaged in a limited edition numbered silver foil jacket.

SIDE ONE 1. Back Street Mirror 2. Don't Let It Fall Through 3. Yesterday, I Am Right
    SIDE TWO 1. She Told Me 2. If I Hang Around 3. That's What You Want

Cheers
    Lemonade Kid

Chris M, D.B., Hep Alien and 2 others like this.