Why no George Harrison at The Last Waltz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

And since I'm currently reading Ray's book and have it and its odd looking index handy, I'll be that guy and mention they actually did two (2) Band songs during the Get Back sessions. Three if you want to count I Shall Be Released.

Zeki likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, George got them to look like The Band:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I like the story in Robbie's book when George and him traded acetates after the Isle of Wright concert. George gave him Abbey Road and Robbie gave him the self-titled. Both bands admired each other for sure.

Ern, Zeki and longdist01 like this.
  4. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

You can tell that Hari wanted the ragged harmonies of The Band on the All Things Must Pass attempts by The Beatles during Jan 1969.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

What about "Sweet Joni"?

6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Someone's heartlight has a burned-out bulb.

7. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Neil certainly partied that night (say no more)

ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

To be a preformer at The Last Waltz it helped if:
    1) you were personal friends with The Band members
    2) if you had some sort of recording history with The Band or Band members
    3) it helped if you were on The Warner Brothers label, as the rights to the performers woud be able to secure.

So where does George fit in here? What song does he sing or play with them?

9. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

It's something in the way she cooks

BZync, MrGrumpy and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  10. As stated earlier George wrote Sunshine Life for Me for Ringo and several members of the Band play on that track. So it is a direct connection.

That pretty much it.

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Not to get all trite but I bet you are right, because John never wore anything like this around this time, and wasn’t a hat wearer for the most part- Paul and Ringo have on their basic ‘abbey road cover’ gear

12. Arnold Grove

George had a hat too:
    [​IMG]

13. Arnold Grove

Count it!:

Zeki, Brother Maynard and Mook like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

^^^Another take:

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I thought the criterion for appearing was that you had to have RECORDED with the Band?

That said, I don't think Ringo or Stephen Stills (jamming guest at the end) actually recorded with them.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  16. They (most of them) played on a track on the Ringo album that George wrote. Robbie produced and played with Neil Diamond but I don't think and of the other members were on that record so Ringo has more of a connection to the Band..

17. Arnold Grove

As mentioned, Ringo recorded "Sunshine Life for Me (Sail Away Raymond)" with Levon Helm, Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, and Garth Hudson of The Band:

Mazzy likes this.
  18. I guess some folks just skip this constant reminder about Ringo’s album. :tiphat:

19. Arnold Grove

Ringo who? ;)

20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Then they should've told Van to stay home.

21. Yes his performance was great, but the one size too small tank top under the matching colored pants and jacket ensemble kept him in check. :tiphat:

guy incognito, Sneaky Pete and Mook like this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

In the fall of 1976, George was in the middle of legal battles with A&R records, leaving there and setting up Dark Horse all on his own, all the while finally being told he owed money for "plagiarizing" "He's So Fine" with "My Sweet Lord" at this time, too. He also released Thirty-Three & 1/3 just one week prior to the The Last Waltz concert, was making several promo films for those songs, too. His appearance on SNL was 5 days prior to the Band's show, so he was in NYC doing press interviews for his album and business meetings for Dark Horse, and not on the West Coast when the concert occurred.

So George was pretty busy. No basis for this, but I'm guessing he was invited to attend the concert but chose not to go. Perhaps if it didn't happen at such a busy time for him, he'd have flown in with Ringo to attend and been pulled up on stage at the end for the jam session or "I Shall Be Released" or something.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    MrGrumpy, MsMaclen and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Can't argue that one. Apparently Van was wandering around earlier dressed like a private detective from the 1940s backstage. He changed into whatever his stage outfit is called because he knew he was gonna do those kicks at the end. No way could he have done them with his detective outfit. Either way, I love it all the same.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Ah, thanks. I inadvertently forgot about that. As the Band were admirers of Don't Pass Me By, it might have been a nice touch for them to dust that one off.

Re: Van Morrison's performance. The first time I saw the film (when I was fifteen), I remember being astonished by Van's rendering of Caravan. I'd never heard the song before and had only the vaguest awareness of who Van was. It's a great, barnstorming slot and Van seems totally confident and in command. Years later, I learned that he almost bottled it and had to be pushed on stage by his manager.....

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So this was going through your mind in the hall as you watched him bring down the house? My condolences.

Dark Horse 77 and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.