The Looming Tower on Hulu- Anyone else watching this show?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident Thread Starter

I started watching this miniseries last week and while the premise is intriguing, the show itself is meh. I mean, I'll stick with it because I'm interested to see where it goes but I think the writing could be better.

I dunno. If you're watching this, what do you think?

Deesky likes this.
  2. Excellent show. Wish they would put them all up at once. I prefer to binge watch them.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm waiting for that reason to. I've heard good things about it, and I'll start once its farther along.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really enjoying it. I think the writing is fine. And of course Jeff Daniels is always good. I too wish they would put it up all at once.

5. Sadly, Hulu doesn't do that at least in the shows I've seen there.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yup and it's ok. So far not a lot of original programming on Hulu that I've been interested in .

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I suspect we'll all die from a glut of compelling television pretty soon. In fact, I may have to start binging on Steve Wilkos and Judge Judy just to wean myself off my television addiction soon...

8. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Yeah I'd agree the first episode's writing was sub-par. Stick with it. It's an incredible story.

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"A Boy In Yemen", now that was a depressing bit.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm four episodes in so far, and it's been a bit of a chore. The writing is really dull 90% of the time with all these irrelevant (to what the show should be about - intelligence gathering, etc) diversions into Jeff Daniels' personal life with the mistresses and wife/family, yada, yada. I mean, this should be a tight intelligence drama leading up to 9/11, but is mostly a soap opera!

When the show sticks to terrorists' motivation/planning/execution and investigative procedures, agency rivalry, etc, it becomes much stronger and way more interesting, but there is not enough of it to make up for the dullness of the rest of it.

Still, two more to go...

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've seen the first five episodes. I imagine the point of the drama with Jeff Daniels is to show that someone who is actually on the ball and trying to stop things can be derailed because of their personal issues and taken out of the game, no longer effective.

12. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I think there maybe 10 episodes in total. IMDb is listing 10, Wikipedia 8. I think I watched ep. 6 last night and it's still nowhere near 9/11 so they're going to have to get a move on.
    It's a strange series. I find the dialogue pretty poor. There's a lot of overly-gratutious swearing, which I don't mind normally but they're just overdoing it for impact and it doesn't really help. As soon as they get out of the office and to locations then it gets good again, and less soap-like. I did find the London & Manchester locations funny though as they clearly weren't in the UK. They just used a load of European-looking cars (Minis especially) and red telephone boxes. I'm still finding it entertaining though (as far as you can find such a serious and unpleasant piece of history "entertaining"). Episode 6 seemed a little different in style to the most recent ones and while it was a little slow, I preferred it.

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They're up to Oct 12, 2000, so they've got a year to go.

14. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I mean 'nowhere near' in terms of story - training terrorists, plotting etc. rather than time.

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I actually like the weekly rollout.
    I agree about O'Neill's romantic exploits-it seems shoehorned in to me. But this show is intense.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Been a great run. One more very sad episode left.

17. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Yes, it's been terrific. More on John O'Neill for those interested:

[​IMG]

Video: A 1997 Interview With O'Neill

This wonderful Frontline documentary 'The Man Who Knew' (2002) fills in the gaps. Top notch.

**Spoiler alert**

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    sberger and EddieMann like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.