New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I agree with you but unfortunately the person who matters does not

2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's time to shake it up a lot!
    I've been saying this, I really have been saying this for the last twenty years! I think a solid DECADE dedicated to the same audience is long enough! McCartney has given them three!

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Make it an even five and then maybe move on.

4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'd absolutely hate such an album!

If I produced McCartney, first off I'd go get a real producer that understood real rock and roll!

None of this sensitive melancholy deep soul searching stuff. I'm taking McCartney back to the spirit of his roots! I'd do my best to remind McCartney of what got him excited about making music in the first place!

Then I'd make sure that McCartney was recording with his band, because I want his album to have as much power and punch as possible, I want it to come blasting out of the speakers! I want it to rock! I also want some of those fantastic McCartney ballads, because no one writes them better, but the majority of the album would be more uptempo! I'd get McCartney to use his band more, especially in the singing area. I'd really feature the background singing and harmonies, I'd even encourage McCartney to let his band members co-lead on some songs. McCartney could play any instrument except drums, I want Abe's thunderous kicks backing the songs. McCartney would handle all bass playing! The Hofner would be off limits, it doesn't record well, sounds too muffled. the Rickenbacker would be the bass of choice!

The album would be filled with info, each song would have all band members listed, dates, place, photos, and because I used to love getting them when I bought an album, a poster would be included! The front cover would have a picture of the full band with McCartney of course front and center!

jeremylr, RAJ717 and Zeki like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

You've described Driving rain almost perfectly. I for one wouldn't want him to repeat himself like that. That'd be just as bad as him doing concerts of mostly Beatles songs. It's time for him to do something new!

Frank likes this.
  6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Everyone thinks they're better at being Paul McCartney than Paul McCartney is.

Everyone on the internet is an expert.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hmmm. ... :wtf:

theMess, mark ab, Haristar and 5 others like this.
  8. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

:crazy: :)

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

maccafan, you're always over the top , but I guess I admire your endless enthusiasm and your dedication to Paul rocking! Rock Paul Rock! See Paul Rock! :D

Unfortunately though, I'm going to lean towards ohnothimagen's idea at this point in time.

I think Paul singing and playing acoustic guitar or piano with harmonies here and there and minimal production and instrumentation would be more enjoyable ( for me anyway) than things I consider pseudo rock like "Save Us".

Speaking of New , I'll have to give it a spin again tonight . I haven't listened to it in awhile.

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No I did not describe Driving Rain, because McCartney only worked with his band in bits and pieces, and not even with the full band! What I'm talking about is a full band album! No partial work,

If I had the opportunity to work with McCartney, I have ideas, but I'd want the best person possible to bring those ideas to the best possible result!
    Absolutely nothing crazy about that, makes total sense!

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

To each his own, that sounds totally boooring to me!

I don't consider it over the top at all! It's just how I'd approach making a new McCartney album, how is it over the top?!

Frank likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

I understand. It was just worded funny. It's like me saying:

"If I was going to direct a film, I'd get Martin Scorcese to direct it ... " ;)

13. revolution_vanderbilt

You made several different tally marks, of which Driving Rain checks off plenty. But I won't argue with you, because you know better than me, and you know better than Paul. But maybe, instead of desperately waiting for Paul do the album you want, and the tour that you want, perhaps find an artist who does fit your criteria? Maybe, hear me out on this one, find a full band?

Frank likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Oh, that "Save Us" has been a problematic one for me too. I sort of learned to "accept" the song when I saw him doing it live, but I still haven't been able to warm up to the studio version of the song. It reminds me of some of the other songs that I consider as pseudo rock, like "Get Out Of My Way" and "Looking For Changes" from Off The Ground.

Of course, those are only my opinions. My apologies to those individuals who may like those songs.

theMess, mark ab, Tord and 2 others like this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Your endless dedication to Paul being the rockiest rocker of all time, how he doesn't get enough respect as a rocker, which songs he should play live that really rock,how you want his new album to rock, etc. in every thread is what I consider over the top , or shall I say... hyper enthusiastic? :D

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

First off, no one is arguing, just sharing a discussion!

Also you say I know better than McCartney, haven't a clue where you got that from, but okay, so the person who said they would produce McCartney with just a acoustic guitar, piano and microphone, does he know better than McCartney also, or is it just me?

Also just so you know, I'm not desperately waiting for McCartney to do anything! I'd like him to do some things, even hope he does some things, but desperately waiting, no!

Also those things are not my criteria, that's your word, for me it's just some wishes. so I hope this clears that up for you, and you won't jump to conclusions and assumptions when it's totally not necessary!

17. Arnold Grove

Paul McCartney ROCKS!!!!:

Some ill-chosen non-rock choices included on this promo CD, though:

[​IMG]

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Thank you.
    The other songs you mention perfectly illustrate songs I consider pseudo rock also.

I'm also sorry if these are favorite songs of someone here. It's just my opinion . :D

theMess likes this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I notice that you're the one that always points that one aspect out! I have never ever said that McCartney is the rockiest of rockers, in fact he's far more than that! I do believe that McCartney has never received the credit he deserves for his harder rocking material if that's what you mean.
    I talk about many other things related to McCartney, but you zero in on that one aspect! Do you have a problem with McCartney being a rocker?

20. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

We Got Married? That's Pure McCartney RAWK! And I've personally been admitted to hospital at least twice due to minor mens' whiplash caused by overenthusiastic headbanging during Rough Ride. He's rarely rocked harder imowo*.

* In My Obviously Wrong Opinion.

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Whoever put this together doesn't even know what rock is? On the whole album there's only one song that could be considered a rocker, Junior's farm!

22. Arnold Grove

What other pseudo rock songs would you say that Paul has done?

theMess likes this.
  23. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I really like New, to this day... in fact, I love most of it, but starting it with "Save Us" is a real "ugh!" moment for me. I don't like Paul trying to rock, I like when it comes naturally. "Save Us" is sort of the epitome of that for me. "Looking For Changes" part 2 for sure.

Before Off the Ground came out, I was still high on the Flowers in the Dirt material and had expectations set way too high. And he did that Up Close special on, I think, VH-1, before the album was out. And "Get Out of My Way" was fairly rocking on there and I thought "this might be good". When the album came out and I heard the laid back pseudo-rock of the studio version, I was pretty disappointed. I still like the Up Close version, but I don't think it's a particularly great song or anything. "Looking For Changes" is exactly the same kind of song as "Save Us"...

I wouldn't want a Paul record of all rock for that reason, we'd get more of those tracks. - Besides one of the most pleasing elements of McCartney is the versatility. So I can listen and enjoy many moods and listen to people complain about all the songs I think are brilliant.

And I'll third my offense to those who love those songs.

theMess, gottafeelin, Jayseph and 4 others like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

MPL???

;)

25. Arnold Grove

That's a good way to frame it. I agree wholeheartedly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.