Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

Over the years I've acquired some first presses and audiophile releases that collectively are worth a considerable sum. Most of them are additions to standard releases of albums that I consider favourites, so I've ended up with 3, 4, 5 and even more copies of specific albums. This means that some of these recordings only get played occasionally as I have my faves from within each. Seeing as that's the case I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to sell some of them. If I were in a position whereby money is no object I'd keep them, even if they just languished on a shelf, but I wasn't blessed with such fortuity. Selling them would allow me to get some more and newer music or that Boxed-set I've had my eye on.

I'll always have the memory of those great recordings, but if they're not going to get played.....why bother keeping them.

What would you do?

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

If I had more than one copy of an album and needed money, I would sell the extra copies, probably right here in classifieds.

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I've sold records where I have multiple versions of the same recordings. I keep the best sounding one, usually the original pressing from the country of origin or a later audiophile pressing from the master tapes.

LitHum05, bluesfan, wwright and 9 others like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's one hell of a loaded question; there are certain albums-including box sets which contain material I own five times over-I'd never even consider selling at any price. All I can realistically say to that is I hope I'm never in a life's position that I even have to think about it. The best way i can answer the OP is I would never *want* to do it..that much is 99% a given...but WOULD I ever given extenuating cicumstances?? Much harder to answer.

5. Through the years I have sold/traded many records/cds/musical instruments to get more/new records/cds/musical instruments.

6. Johnny Vinyl

I'm considering it for two reasons actually. The first is, as I alluded to or mentioned in my OP, is why keep it if it doesn't get played. The second is that it would free up some cash for other purchases. That doesn't mean I need to sell them (because I don't), but I view as a better strategy given my retirement income and management thereof.

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Umpteen years ago, I unloaded all my vinyl – about 1000 titles – and never looked back. Easy-peasy.

But that's me.

If you have an affinity for collecting, you might later regret cutting any loose.

Only you can make the call.

8. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Two questions you must answer first:

1. Are these albums available in better SQ on CD, SACD, etc.?

2. Are you willing to change your screen name?

Whay, wwright, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  9. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

If a recording had a deep sentimental attachment for someone, certainly.

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think there are lots of us in the same predicament. But ever since about 1995/6, when I returned to records, I've been far more careful and deliberate about what I keep and what I sell, and I've become far more tight gripped. I deeply regretted those mass vinyl purges of the '80s after discovering all the SQ I foolishly sold after buying the hype.

Still, I'd like to fund new purchases with some sales. But many times, when I find something I haven't listened to in a long time and think to myself I could sell it, I play it and find myself thinking "damn this sounds good", and put it back on the shelf afterwards. No sale.

11. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

I’ve sold portions of my vinyl collection a few times over the years for various reasons- college, moving,etc... and every time I have regretted it. Always gone back and re purchased what I sold and rarely did I get even close to what they were worth. This includes duplicates/ different pressings too. So ... short answer? NO! I guess with the caveat that If i was so distressed for $ that I simply had to.

12. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I had to do it several years ago. Not all of it, but any of it was too much for my tastes. The anxiety attack I had during the appraisal, was the stuff of legend.

forthlin, TonyCzar and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have sold around 150 LPs in the last eighteen months for the very reasons you have described. All I can say is if you are selling them as a lot, don't expect much for them. If you are going to sell them individually, be prepared to wait.

Buyers of collections don't offer much for them, no matter how mint they are.

That has been my experience anyway.

JG

14. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Probably not, no. I do have multiple copies of a lot of things but no single album on its own is going to provide enough for a car payment or a week's groceries. Even my "rarest" 4 or 5 albums together would probably be barely that. Selling 100 albums at $10-$20 apiece would be more time and effort than it's worth.

15. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I understand your dilemma. You most likely have copies in mind that you know you should sell and want to sell but then you imagine not having them in your collection and you get some sort of anxiety. I go through this feeling periodically. I have so many versions of albums and I know I can sell some off for some good cash. God knows I don't need 11 copies of the White Album but which one should I sell?

This has been said before, if you do decide to sell use the money for new purchases. I use all money in my Paypal account to buy new stuff. So if a sell a few extra copies of something I no longer need I can maybe buy a album for a couple hundred bucks and feel less guilt about it. Also use the classifieds here, it will go to a good home guaranteed and you don't have to pay the ridiculous sellers fee that certain auction sites charge.

lesterbangs and Crimson Witch like this.
  16. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

As already mentioned, hard question to answer.

I sold all of my vinyl and now only own CDs. It took me three decades to
    re-acquire some of the more obscure titles, but I eventually replaced everything I previously had on vinyl with a CD version. This, however, is irrelevant to your question....except for one point :
    I wasn't playing the records.
    Instead, I was playing cassette copies I had recorded the very first time I dropped the needle on each one in order to preserve the grooves ~ which turned out to be advantageous as it was a unique selling-point to advertise that the vinyl was in stone-mint condition and "only played once"
    ( or twice, in a couple of instances)

You could rip what you're selling and that way at least have a needle drop (?)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    fitzrik likes this.
  17. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

One of my best kept secrets .............I have never sold any of my records or cd's .......so the answer is an emphatic NO !
    My wife has recently asked me to identify parts of my collection that are collectible ! mmmm!

18. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Is “prized” the same as “valuable”?
    I sold a bunch of “valuable” (i.e., people would pay more than I ever thought) albums that I very rarely listened to and had either preferred vinyl versions or ceedee variants that sound decent - not really prized. Bought other stuff.
    I have a few very “prized” records that I just won’t sell.

A toy never played with is not a toy at all...Sell High and buy useful stuff, I say.

Bigbudukks, fitzrik and Crimson Witch like this.
  19. Johnny Vinyl

I'm not really into digital, so I can't answer really answer that.

showtaper, SandAndGlass and Chemguy like this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I'm getting ready to sell 100's of original Beatles LP's and 45's because it's only a matter of 8-10 years before they go full-Elvis.

Evan L, bullmkt3, Bigbudukks and 7 others like this.
  21. Johnny Vinyl

I hear ya! :)

22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

In 2009 I sold off my vinyl U2 collection (2 singles packs, a load of 12" singles plus all the albums up to Unforgettable Fire), some Prince albums and some Depeche Mode 12" singles, plus a signed copy of Ultravox's Vienna. I also ditched a good few albums before leaving for Canada (keeping a lot more though). Of the stuff I ditched, I have replaced almost all of it, and mourn every single album I got rid of.

It would take a real tragedy for me to do anything like that again.

23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I don't have a double copy of anything.
    As soon as i buy a double. I compare it to what i have. I keep the best one. Then i sell the other.

Of course like a year down the line.Or 5 years after when you upgraded your equipement or something. You wonder....hmmm.. maybe that one pressing I sold sounds better? Only happens very rarely in my experience.
    Overall my system of selling the lesser duplicate is great.

JannL and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

?? Full-Elvis?

25. Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

A: Yes, whatever I have left.

Mark J, dalem5467 and eric777 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.