‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Gosh I hope not.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I must be the only person that loves the movie. The blu ray is fantastic :edthumbs::cheers:

Isolar801 and Blimpboy like this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Another trailer is up. It definitely looks more like a reboot of the 1998 movie than the original series. Hopefully Parker Posey makes a good villain.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Vidiot and Encuentro like this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Let me guess, there will be a gay character (although Dr. Smith obviously was in the original) and of course there has to be a minority character as well. Am I close?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that the new Lost in Space was shot in 8K and the post production color was done by Company 3's Siggy Ferstl, one of the best colorists in LA. I bet it looks spectacular.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

When does it start?

8. Michael

thanks for that...my take? If I look at this as just a Si-Fi series it looks fine...If I take it as a Lost In Space reboot? It makes me sick.

9. Michael

April 13, 2018

Spitfire likes this.
  10. James Slattery

Can't be worse than the Time Tunnel pilot that Fox did a decade or so ago. That one placed a black woman back in time as a WWII soldier in a white unit. Because that was so commonplace then that it would never arose suspicion.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

While that's true, and it was a not-so-smart move, the "black" woman in question was rather fair-skinned.
    [​IMG]

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I kind of with they'd gone the nostalgia route but The Orville has that sewn up. For me it all hinges on how well the core characters of Will, the Robot, and Dr. Smith interact. The rest of the family is just window dressing.

They've really got to hit it out of the park with the kid they cast as Will - I'm not familiar with him and his list of credit is pretty short. Netflix hit gold with their cast for Stranger Things so they might pull it off again.

13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Looks beautiful. But will the storytelling be any good? That's what I want to know.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

The space shots have that modern generic tinsely look to them just like any spacey SyFy show, of which I'm not a fan. I prefer less cartoony looking spacecraft, like the Orville say (which is both CGI and a physical model, but look totally consistent).

The 2nd trailer looked a little too glitzy to me which may point to a superficial treatment of the property. Anyway, these are just current impressions, but if the storytelling is good, then none of this will matter. Hope that's the case...

15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I don't expect too much of space shots. It's not like anyone is going to do a 2001 and try to make it realistic looking, and without "space sounds." It would indeed be nice if everything didn't come out of a computer -- I'd love to see practical solutions to certain special effects problems, and models for a change. But I agree, if the writing is good, I'll let a lot slide.

16. Looks expensive. hey, at least the CGI looks better than the movie.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If they follow the old TV series at all, there won't be all that much "space" in LOST IN SPACE. The first three episodes of Season One of the old show had some action in outer space, but they quickly marooned themselves on a planet for the balance of the year, with only a sporadic episode or two where a guest "vehicle" took one or more characters for a short spin in space.

Season Two again launched them for about four episodes before again marooning the Jupiter 2 on another planet for the rest of the season.

Season Three repeated the pattern but had a couple of later visits to some other worlds for a short time.

Irwin Allen had the cast marooned much of the time so that he could use the established and static planet set for most of the action, keeping the costs down. With modern CGI, it's easily more possible to do more space-based stories.

jtiner likes this.
  18. James Slattery

And will all of the aliens miraculously speak and understand English like the TV series?

Vidiot likes this.
  19. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I'm not sure how a "serious" recurring villain would work. The original Dr. Smith was most definitely a serious character initially, but quickly became just an irritant, and then comedy relief.
    It's hard to describe, but I always find projects like this to be too over the top for me - it's like all of the individual elements that made up the original are just "turned up to 11". I guess I'm just an old fart now; perhaps it will be thoughtfully done with great characters and stories. These days my tastes run more toward something like El Ministerio Del Tiempo.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I certainly hope so! Last thing I want to do is to have to read freaking subtitles all the time (like with Disco Klingons).
    It's gonna be a short season (compared to the old show), but in any case, is it even going to be a bunch of stories (episodes) or just a single serialized story? I'm betting the latter.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The trailer looks pretty cool!

22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I have a rule. Nothing with Heather Graham in it is unwatchable. :uhhuh:

James Slattery likes this.
  23. It might not be The Great Vegetable Rebellion, but then again, what is.

24. Michael

yea, I agree she's a cutie...

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The trailers have my son and I excited about the series. I'm looking forward to it!

On a side note, my son just turned 18, and his whole life has been a super hero filled adventure of entertainment that I could not have imagined! His first film that we took him to as a toddler was The Incredibles and he loved it! I can still remember him sitting in my lap and holding on for dear life during the plane attack/crash scene! We just finished watching Jessica Jones together and are looking forward to the 3rd Avengers movie - wow what a nerd boys dream we are living in!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.