The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

That's 32 minutes. This is 33!! :goodie: LOL!

I'm buying the CD anyway. This gap won't affect me.

PhoffiFozz, Jet Age Eric, dee and 3 others like this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It could be done - cut the bass and reduce the volume hugely. Why bother?

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B079MSX1FG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much clearer image of liner notes

and more insight about My Generation

Townshend leads the way with his guitar finding licks and riffs some of which would end up as motifs in Tommy after exhaustive possibilities the extemporization climaxes with the familiar guitar drum demolishing finale overlaid by Entwistles loud bass

4. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

May 8 - May 11 expected delivery dates per amazon.it.

reb, Matthew Tate, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.
  5. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Hm. I got the same notice. Maybe they will honor some orders after all?

Matthew Tate and beatleswho like this.
  6. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I got that email too. They are still listing the CD and Vinyl as otherwise unavailable but it seems like they plan to fulfill the order

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Actually I'm quite excited by the bit about "Dippity-Do.....curly maned rock". Bring it on!

Mark Wilson likes this.
  8. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Seems like there's no escaping that deaf, dumb and blind kid!

If they're Sparks-y enough, I'll prefer to consider them motifs from Rael. :winkgrin:

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[​IMG]

10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

There are 2 bands that were able to lift me to the 3rd bardo when at their peak and bring on that spiritual experience.

#1 is the Dead & #2 The Who

If this is a legit authorized release with good SQ I'm in.

JimSpark, Matthew Tate and RockRoom like this.
  11. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !! Thread Starter

A great pic Reb. I personally would not go any where near that cake. Someone could end up wearing it. !!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I have to say that the album art is (again) a disaster. What is this? DIY? Well, those bedroom artists from Bandcamp have better covers than this..

[​IMG]

14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The cover of this Italian bootleg released in 1988 is certainly better.

[​IMG]

15. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !! Thread Starter

Hahaha, Exactly !!:biglaugh:

reb likes this.
  16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I couldn't care less if the cover resembled plain brown cardboard....as long as the performance sounds good.

jonj, marcb, marc with a c and 11 others like this.
  17. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I don't understand the hate for the cover. I assume it's intended to be a basic, bootleg style cover a la Live At Leeds. Does the job.

marcb, marc with a c, tages and 5 others like this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I thought this was tomorrow art until the actual album cover was revealed. WTF?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That would have looked better.

Pretty sure this is the cover.

izgoblin, DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Maybe it does the job for CD format version (yeah, who cares for CD case art? bah) but certainly not for vinyl LP cover, as they release LP version as well.

And I'm just wonder that in the country of the probably the best designers and illlustrators in the world, the greatest live band in Rock that they are gonna to release an important material from 1968 ("holy grail") in a crappy cover, with nothing that should evoke the era; the year of 1968 could be very inspiring for a good designer, but they packed it in a very poor, DIY-like cover.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  21. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Fair enough. Just my opinion, but I think that people are making too big a deal out of it. Live At Leeds is as plain and basic as it gets, yet that is a somewhat iconic cover. I'm more interested in what's inside than out (though I don't think there is really anything wrong with the cover art anyway). If the music is as good as we hope it is, and it's a good pressing, the rest doesn't really matter (again, in my opinion).

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I recall when Who's Last was released that the cover was regarded by The Who fans as "very poor". And I agreed. But Who's Last is better by nautical mile than this anti-design!

izgoblin, DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Here here! And kudos for correct use of the popular 'couldn't care less' phrase...

Damn I wish they'd let us hear some audio already. May is a long ways away.

marmalade166 and Surferghost like this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, if they are emulating Leeds, then that's part of the problem... it's been done. Why not come up with a new design idea? Anyway, it's not really comparable to Leeds, which was actually a very innovative package when taken as a whole. The front cover itself was bland by design, but it had a gatefold with pockets filled with a treasure trove of documents and photos. Whereas this thing just smacks of laziness. Yeah, in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal and the music is ultimately what matters, but why not hire a competent designer and put it in a package that is creative and looks good? In their heyday, the Who were known for their innovative album designs, both in cover images (Sell Out, Who's Next) and overall packages (Tommy, Odds and Sods, Quad, Leeds).

25. dee

dee Senior Member

I like it. Reminds me of a colorful 'boxing style' poster or a 'get my attention' marquee design, which, except for the 'my' part is fwiw what I imagine the intention is. There have been some cool looking photos and poses of Pete, posted as alternative covers, only I don't see the rest of the band in those creative homemade covers :(...

The 12x12 print is a portrait shot, no 'live action concert' take of all four members which if there were some available to use the rights to would at least be representative of a concert performance, live album.

+1 on the mix, mastering, and pressing, etc!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    reb likes this.