Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I believe at that time stoned could have also been a synonym for drunk. The Coasters, Ray Charles, Manfred Mann and maybe some others all recorded a tune titled Let's Go Get Stoned in the mid-1960's and it mentions getting a bottle of gin.

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

A quick note on "Fortune Teller": Its first release in the U.S. was in an unlikely location -- on the album Got Live If You Want It! Crowd noise was overdubbed on the original studio recording to make it sound, to use a phrase from NBC's coverage of the Olympics several games ago, "plausibly live." The true studio recording was in fake stereo on More Hot Rocks.

3. EdogawaRampo

I Wanna Be Your Man is flat fantastic for 1963. The 'Stones really made it their own. It just drives and as someone already mentioned shows just how much progress the band made since Come On -- no comparison. The Beatles take on it has kind of a herky-jerky rhythm, but the 'Stones version just blasts out of the barrel and drives it home. Stoned has got a great vibe and is a fun listen, knock-off or not.

Fortune Teller and Poison Ivy are fine covers, but they were both pretty popular and by 1964 there were other covers appearing by UK bands. I think The Merseybeats did Fortune Teller. Manfred Mann did Poison Ivy at some point later. Other people were having hits with Beatles' tunes (Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas had big hits with Bad To Me and Do You Want To Know A Secret by the latter part of 1963), so going with I Wanna Be Your Man probably seemed like the right move.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"I Wanna Hold Your Man"

"We weren't going to give them anything great, right?" - John Ono Lennon, M.B.E ., 1980 (pg. 145, The Playboy Interviews, Playboy Press, 1981)

What was a Ringo showcase on With The Beatles gets a damn good whacking in the hands of The Stones, helped along by Brian's nasty slide guitar solo.

"Stoned"? A Booker Table and the Maitre D's pastiche that has that air of "There's fifteen minutes left and we don't have the B side; let's thrash one out."

pablo fanques, forthlin, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

Wasn't it released on a 45 at some point somewhere? I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"I Wanna Be Your Man" is terrific. It sounds like chaos is going on. I love Brian's savage slide guitar.
    "Stoned" is classic B-side fun.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It went to number 5 in Australia as a single there.

8. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fascinating! Do you know if any of the other songs on Got Live If You Want It were studio songs masquerading as live cuts? I never listened to that album much because the screaming girls drive me up a wall, but I do enjoy "I'm Alright."

I know "Bennie and the Jets" used this fake crowd noise trick. I didn't know that was actually a studio song until I was 22. :D

pablo fanques and lightbulb like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I've Been Loving You Too Long is a studio track as well. It was included as a bonus track on the cd reissiue of More Hot Rocks without the applause.

10. EdogawaRampo

Have you ever checked out the Bo Diddley original? Not plausibly live...but actually live and sounding like someone recorded with with a handheld cassette recorder:

I love the 'Stones version, too. I think it's cool they were even aware of Bo Diddley's Beach Party, which could not have been much of a seller in the UK or in the US.

lightbulb and John Fell like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is the better sounding studio version by Bo Diddley

12. EdogawaRampo

Wow...didn't even know that version existed. It's missing the characteristic guitar riff from the ...Beach Party version though, which seems the one the 'Stones used as their template.

13. 9la

9la Forum Resident

I have read that this was the first use of a slide guitar on a British hit 45. And that Brian was using open tuning, which Keith seems not to recall.

sekaer, Aftermath, lightbulb and 3 others like this.
  14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It got AM and FM play in 1973 when More Hot Rocks was released. I can't figure out if there was a london single.

15. Parachute Woman

:pineapple: Bo is rockin'. I just love that guitar riff! The guys in the Stones definitely had great taste in music. I love their influences and some of my favorite interviews with the band involve them talking about the music that inspired them.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

I am decidedly unfussy about this one. For starters, it's just about the most repetitive song I've ever heard in my life. That works occasionally (Flowers and Beads by Iron Butterfly, probably I Can See For Miles by the Who) but not often. The general style is okay but needs far better material to succeed. In a year of numerous wonderful songs on the charts, this one is a dud.

The blurb on the YouTube clip says it was recorded on 7 Oct. 1963. The Stones appeared on British TV in July of that year -- I watched it -- and most of the bios name this as the featured track, so they must have performed it live.

D.B. and lightbulb like this.
  17. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I Wanna Be Your Man (1963)
    [​IMG]

Released: November 1, 1963
    B-Side: “Stoned
    Charts: #12 (UK)

One of the rare occurrences where the cover surpasses the original - Brian's slide contribution is fantastic.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Agreed. Low marks to Lennon & McCartney — they thought it was at least worth recording themselves, unlike some of the garbage they dumped on other groups to record. The Stones added some verve to it and the groovy beat makes repetition tolerable

19. Parachute Woman

This is one of those instances when the cover actually came out before the version by the songwriters--sort of like Flying Burrito Brothers doing "Wild Horses" before the Stones put out their version. And I agree with you that the Stones' version is a better recording. It's a piece of empty songwriting, but they give it some drive and danger.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep. Which means it's instant ear worm. I've been singing (in my mind!) the refrain over and over again.
    Edit: actually, singing the entire song as it's not much more than the refrain.

The only redeeming factor for this song is Jones' providing an edge.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    D.B. and lightbulb like this.
  21. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I have to say that "I Wanna Be Your Man" is the single that really launches the Rolling Stones as a singles act in my view. They totally Stonesified a Lennon/McCartney song and I definitely see the Stones' version as the definitive version of this song. Later in the decade, the Beatles would produce music that most people think is singularly unique but in the earlier going, I prefer the Stones. I prefer their version of "Money" and, if you compare the version of "Carol" the Beatles did for the BBC to the Stones' version, the Stones take that one easily as well. There's a real grit to the Stones version of "I Wanna Be Your Man". Loved it when they chose to open their 50 And Counting shows in 2012 with it.

The MEZ, Parachute Woman and aphexj like this.
  22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

re Decca only promoting Come On with one ad....well I had the chance to skim some 1963 Record Mirrors today and I saw 2 Decca ads in different issues weeks apart and one in a random issue of Record Retailer. I think it's safe to assume the one ad only story is rubbish.

23. Parachute Woman

Next up, we have the first of two studio EPs released by the group in 1964. We'll be covering both EPs in this thread. Four cover songs were included on the set:

The Rolling Stones EP (1964)

Bye Bye Johnny (above)
    Money
    You Better Move On
    Poison Ivy

[​IMG]
    Released: January 10, 1964
    Charts: #1 (UK, EP charts)

It was released both to capitalise on their first Top 20 hit "I Wanna Be Your Man" and to test the commercial appeal of the band before their UK label Decca Records would commit to letting them record an album.[citation needed] The Rolling Stones includes four songs recorded at two separate sessions in August and November 1963.

The Rolling Stones features R&B covers of some of the band's favorite artists, and some recent American hits. Impact Sound is officially listed as the EP's producer. Eric Easton is possibly involved, Andrew Loog Oldham produced the opening track "Bye Bye Johnny".

Despite the rawness of the production, the EP reached no. 1 in the UK EP charts in February 1964, having entered the chart the week after its release.[citation needed]

The EP was released in Canada in 1964 by London Records Canada. The release was identical to the UK version lncluding the picture sleeve along with the British label number DFE 8560. The Canadian EP pressing also used British stampers.

Bruce Eder of AllMusic writes: "The real centerpiece was Arthur Alexander's 'You Better Move On,' an American-spawned favorite that the band had been doing in concert — this was their chance to show a softer, more lyrical and soulful sound that was every bit as intense as the blues and hard R&B they'd already done on record..."

"Bye Bye Johnny" and "Money" did not see official US release until 1972's retrospective More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies); "You Better Move On" was featured on 1965's December's Children (And Everybody's); and "Poison Ivy" was issued in 2002 on the remastered version of More Hot Rocks.

Unavailable for decades, The Rolling Stones was reissued on Compact Disc in 2004 on the Singles 1963–1965 box set through ABKCO Records.

In November 2010, it was made available as part of a limited edition vinyl box set titled The Rolling Stones 1964-1969, by itself digitally at the same time, and in 2011 as part of the 60's UK EP Collection digital compilation.[citation needed]

On November 23, 2012 the EP was reissued on 7-inch vinyl record as a part of Record Store Day Black Friday 2012.[2]

Personnel[edit]
    The Rolling Stones

24. Parachute Woman

For years, the only song on this set I knew was "You Better Move On" (from its place on December's Children). I didn't own More Hot Rocks and the other songs were some of the very last songs from the Stones' collection I ever heard.

I really dig this EP. It has such a dirty, raw sound to it. The production is probably objectively terrible, but it makes the songs sound kind of tough and dark. This is almost like a baby version of Exile--sounding like it was recorded in some sweaty, dank place, adding atmosphere. The songs:

Bye Bye Johnny (Chuck Berry): A much better Chuck Berry cover than "Come On" with a lot more groove. Mick is starting to sound more and more confident.
    Money (Berry Gordy/Janie Bradford): This might be my favorite version of this song. I definitely prefer it to the Beatles version. It really cooks for January 1964.
    You Better Move On (Arthur Alexander): The first "soul" cut they released and a nice job at it. Proof that they could do more melodic material as well. I have always loved the part at around 1:45 when Mick sings "Cuz I...YEAH...I love her so."
    Poison Ivy (Leiber/Stoller): Already covered in the last round, but a pretty good little pop/rock piece.

I love the album cover too. They look like a bunch of thugs. I love it. :cool:

25. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I’m not too familiar with the EP, and don’t really have much to say about it, so I’ll discuss it as a whole rather than song-for-song. It’s a suitably raw and Stones-y covers EP, but not much more than that IMO. Their versions of these songs are pretty good, and it’s intetesting to hear the Stones doing doo-wop on some of them, but overall it’s not a memorable collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.