New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm eating dinner at the moment .
    Let me get back to you on it. :D

"Angry" comes to mind.

2. bward

bward Senior Member

There was the Capitol Records news release in November which described the Archive series as continuing.

That's pretty strong evidence.

It's direct from the record company.

I know there have been interpretations of what else that might mean, but taking the statement at face value, it appears there will be more installments of the Archive series.

I hope the series continues in the physical realm, and not just downloads.

One more piece of evidence that the series is continuing: the remastered tracks on Pure that came from albums not yet released under the Archive banner. Why would, say, Don't Let It Bring You Down, receive a remaster, and not the parent album?

In the end, we have no idea if the Archive series will continue, or if it does, what form it will take.

And I'm just giving some facts that suggest the series will go on. I hope it does, but I don't know.

I would think, at some point this year, a journalist will just ask him. Until then, all we can do is speculate about that half full/empty glass.

One thing is certain, this thread is in no danger of ending soon.

theMess, Bemagnus and Arnold Grove like this.
  3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

K-Tel presents...Pseudo Rock. 20 unconvincing classics.

theMess, supermd, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

you don't have to apologize for your opinion!

Look I think McCartney II and That Fireman stuff are the absolute worse albums of McCartney's entire career! I don't apologize for that opinion!

If some think those songs are so called pseudo-rock, well they're entitled to their opinions! I'm not a big fan of Save Us either, but I do like Get Out Of My Way, and I like Looking For Changes, doesn't offend me one bit that others don't like them. It doesn't stop me from enjoying them!

I don't assume that if McCartney did more rocking songs they would automatically be so called pseudo-rock, no they could be good like Only Mama Knows, like I Can Bet, like Turned Out. So I look forward to that side of McCartney!

Shak Cohen and Frank like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely love Angry!
    It would be absolutely awesome performed live! His band could really rock out with that one!

Shak Cohen, Frank and Elliottmarx like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh yeah. What a disappointment, especially since he had Pete Townshend guesting on guitar too. Couldn't Paul have written a Eddie Cochran-style rocker instead? Pete would have been great on that.

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

For me, I don't want an Eddie Cochran style rocker, I want a Paul McCartney style rocker!

8. bward

bward Senior Member

Run Devil Run, the song and the album, were pretty convincing to me.

Only Mama Knows was pretty good. And House of Wax. Nothing Too Much, Cut Me Some Slack, Lonely Road are also pretty great, I think. The boy can still rock.

I really liked Save Us when I first heard it on the iHeart special before the albums release, but I like it less now.

And I think the issue with Save Us and Looking for Changes etc is the way the songs were produced or arranged. Sometimes when Paul tries to rock, the song, for some reason, loses its edge. I first noticed it with I've Had Enough.
    The song is good, but the performance, for me, is too tame. I wish Girls School rocked harder, too.

Get Out Of My Way could have been a no holds barred rock song. But it's not.

However, with the examples I listed above, McCartney can still rock. I'd like to hear more of that next time out.

9. Glenn Christense

Well , you have kind of backed up my point earlier.

You are a big McCartney fan , yet you say you would find an album featuring mainly piano and acoustic guitar totally boring and you would absolutely hate it. I also remember that you hate Electric Arguments so apparently your love of all things McCartney has fairly narrow parameters.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  10. Arnold Grove

But Pete Townshend would have been better on an Eddie Cochran style rocker.

theMess likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Yes, Macca can truly rock, so I am not worried about his ability to continue to do so. But, yes, every now and then (thankfully not too often), there is a song that rocks in an unconvincing way.

I agree too that "I've Had Enough" has a little of that pseudo rock sound in it, and that is probably the first instance where I first noticed it. It just sounded a bit forced and not natural.

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I find it much more interesting to see what Townshend could do with a McCartney style rocker. I think the same about Eric Clapton, I even think about what could Angus Young of AC/DC do with a McCartney rocker, I just find that much more interesting.

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Gonna go back to lurk mode for awhile

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I just don't hear this so called forced and unnatural sound when I listen to I've Had Enough, I've always wondered what some are talking about because I just don't hear it?

I've Had Enough sounds like a classic rock song to me, that opening guitar riff just does it! I imagine him opening a show with that riff!

JLPMacca and Shak Cohen like this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's not about narrow parameters, it's about what I think sounds best, and what I think makes a good McCartney album!

Too much acoustic, not good, too much experimental, not good.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Come to think of it, the Beatles' "Hold Me Tight" (off With The Beatles) has a bit of that sort of forced rock sound too. The whole band sounds so infectious, though, that I still get caught up in the song. But just judging the song on its own, it (for me) has a little of that pseudo rock sound that Paul occasionally would fall prey too in later solo years.

theMess and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. Glenn Christense

What you think sounds best.
    So in other words, narrow parameters . :D

18. Arnold Grove

I guess it is hard to describe accurately. I mean, what does "forced" or "unnatural" mean? Plus different people obviously can apply those qualities to different songs or sounds.

But there must be something that some of us are hearing, especially as there are a bunch of us who agree about this pseudo-rock sound in "Save Us" or "Looking For Changes" or "I've Had Enough".

It doesn't mean that we are right or wrong. It is just interesting that some of us have independently formulated this idea all on our own.

theMess, Rigsby and Glenn Christense like this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If that's the way you choose to look at it, then you have to say the same about every human being that listens to or makes music!

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's not about being right or wrong, I'm just trying to figure out what it is some are hearing that I don't? I've Had Enough grabbed me the very first time I heard it, the guitar riff, but even more than that, I absolutely love McCartney's rock shouting in that song! See as I've said before, that's one of the things I like about these forums, these discussions remind you of songs, and now I've got to hear I've Had Enough! Time to crank the Bose system!

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  21. Glenn Christense

Not really . I'm talking specifically about you .

You seem to be one of McCartneys biggest supporters and champions here yet I find it odd that there are apparently quite large areas of his work that you have no use for ...at all.

I can gripe about a song or two or 10 but I don't dismiss Paul as a rocker in total , just a few songs .'

You seem to reject out of hand any work of his that strikes you as experimental though .
    Also , apparently any work of his devoted to mainly piano or acoustic guitar based music you would "absolutely hate" and find "totally booring" (Your spelling)

I find that odd for a big McCartney booster.

That's painting with a fairly wide brush for a big fan ,IMO but if that's your take on it so be it.

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

bward, for whatever reason I couldn't quote you?

I listen to I've Had Enough and I hear just the opposite of what you said. When McCartney shouts No No No No No No! the passion and fire is definitely there, and when he sings the words I've Had Enough he sounds like he really means it, so I just hear it totally different! Sounds full of passion and rock and roll fire to me.

MsMaclen likes this.
  23. bward

bward Senior Member

This is what I hear.

You are right. That opening riff is a great musical statement. Awesome.

But then, for me, the song doesn't follow through, it just bounces along.

And Paul's vocal doesn't help. Where is that trademark McCartney vocal fire?
    Where is the passion?

Just go back one album, Speed of Sound, and listen to Paul belt out Beware My Love. Or watch him perform Soily on Wings Over the World or One Hand Clapping. Paul is just insanely into those songs. Those are breathtaking performances. So, why pull back on I've Had Enough?

On I've Had Enough I'd like to hear the guitars crunch through the entire song. And I'd like to hear Paul unleashed and unhinged, vocally. Instead, he kind of sleep walks his way through the whole song.

I feel the same way on Girl's School. Why are the guitars not screaming through the entire song? Something is missing.

Notice, how on the very next album, Paul is completely invested in all of the rock songs on Back to the Egg. Say what you will about the quality of the Egg songs, or the lyrics, but vocally, he is just selling it. BIG TIME.

I think on all these non convincing rockers, the issue is that, for some reason, Paul just isn't invested in the song. Vocally, he can lift any song. But sometimes, he just doesn't.

Hey, I love the guy. I hope I'm not coming across as too critical. Just trying to articulate what I sometimes hear.

theMess, Rigsby, Arnold Grove and 2 others like this.
  24. bward

bward Senior Member

When I first posted, I made a formatting mistake. I thought I saved it, but didn't. So i had to rewrite. The revised version is above. I think you can reply to that.

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

you may be specifically talking about me, but what you said and the way you look at it, could be applied to as I said any human being that listens to or makes music!

Now I think you're taking what I said out of context, I don't dismiss any work of McCartney's that's devoted to mainly piano, acoustic guitar, or experimental. I said I wouldn't want an album thats' totally in those directions as one poster said he would do if he produced McCartney. Some of my favorite McCartney songs are acoustic, like The song We Were Singing, I've even posted the very few songs I like from Electric Arguments, Sing The Changes and Highway.

So once again, I never said I don't like any work of his that's mainly piano or acoustic, what I wouldn't like is an entire album in just one of those directions!

I also wouldn't want an album of just rocking songs! It has to be more balanced, I would want majority rocking songs, but not all rocking songs! McCartney is just too good of a ballad writer to not include any on his albums.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Shak Cohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.