New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bward

bward Senior Member

I know what you mean, but to me, it's tame compared to his other rockers. Maybe he was going for a half rockabilly half rock sound with his voice. I don't know. If I was producing, I'd tell him to 'go for it!'
    And then, I'd probably be looking for work.....

theMess and supermd like this.
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Girlschool?!
    I don't see how you could miss it, the guitars are totally on fire in that song! Now I do think that they should be brought up more in the mix, they should be more out front if that's what you mean, they should be louder is another way I could say it, but the performance, Jimmy Mcculloch is ripping it!

MsMaclen likes this.
  3. bward

bward Senior Member

WHAT?

Good thing I'm not headed to Beatlefest this weekend. We'd have a serious problem ;)

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well, I'm getting tired of talking about it.:p
    My original point was..at this point in his career I'd rather hear piano based or acoustic guitar based songs rather than lame (to me) rockers like "Save Us".'
    Songs like that one sound like "product" to my ears .

If you like those sort of tracks more power to you.

We are all big McCartney fans here but all the wishing in the world here isn't going to change Paul's new album. We are gonna get what he wants to give us.

I'm going to listen to Electric Arguments and McCartney II tonight .
    Give them a spin. I think you'll like them. :D ;)

theMess likes this.
  5. bward

bward Senior Member

Exactly. Jimmy is ripping it, but the guitars are mixed down. There is another mix floating around that emphasizes the guitars more. I prefer that.

I guess it's sort of like when Lennon complained about the stereo version of revolution sounding like ice cream (my keyboard is doing strange things, like not capitalizing some letters tonight) and that he preferred the punch of the mono version.

I wish Girls School punched me upside the head with those guitars. It should, plus those raunchy lyrics. It's a great song, that i think, could have been better produced. I thought this even way back in '78. Or was it '77...

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I've noticed that if someone makes a sentence bold, and follows it with an exclamation point!... and italicized it... they must mean it so much harder.

7. bward

bward Senior Member

Good call. I have a new pair of Grado headphones, and I think EA is in order. Love that album.

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'm enjoying the conversation!

I don't assume that new rockers from McCartney would be like Save Us! I'm listening to I've Had Enough, Get Out Of My Way and Looking For Changes, and they sound absolutely great cranked on my Bose system! McCartney is laying down some hard pseudo-rock!

theMess, Glenn Christense and bward like this.
  9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I've noticed that no matter what's done, someone is going to comment about it!

Frank likes this.
  10. bward

bward Senior Member

I like these conversations too. In the real world, there arent many people who will listen to me blather on and on about McCartney

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Ok, now I can agree about the production, what I never agree about is that the songs don't rock! If you crank Girlschool, there's no way anyone can say the song doesn't rock! I do wish the producer had pushed the guitars more out front so you could hear even better how the guitars are just going for it, because they are!

12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'm fortunate that I come from a musical family, so I get to talk with other musicians who know about McCartney and many other artist! That may be one reason why I don't hear this music the way some others do, because I talk about these things with them. Being a McCartney fan I talk with them about McCartney and I let them hear things I know they wouldn't normally hear and the feedback is always very interesting.

13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

My wish for what it's worth....

Paul releases a celtic progressive folk rock album combining elements of Ommadawn & Abbey Road.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Now you know how Paul feels.

15. bward

bward Senior Member

Oooooh. That would be pretty awesome.

theMess and Monasmee like this.
  16. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I love Run Devil Run, but it was mostly a cover album. (Incidentally, the originals are my favorites on that album) I think McCartney still can rock and he still does. I loved "Cut Me Some Slack" for example. I just wouldn't want a McCartney album of all one style of originals at this point in his career. (And that goes for any style, not just rock) - I only came to critique "Save Us" and the other particular songs, because they were already mentioned. So it was specifically about those. And the fact that I just wouldn't want a single style McCartney album.

I have no doubt Paul can still rock. Although, thinking of Run Devil Run and even something like "Lonely Road", those are quite a long time ago already. (Incidentally, I love "Lonely Road" too) "Only Mama Knows" is great and I think it was a great live rocker. "House of Wax" is fantastic too, but that is one that I'll probably always prefer the studio version of.

And back to "Save Us", I wonder if my bass player singing it as "Shave Us Now!" has anything to do with me not taking it seriously?

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  17. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Pete Townshend & Phil Collins! You'd think that that lineup would have made something truly memorable. But I will admit to this, I'm sort of a fan of "Angry", well, the single mix with the horns. The album mix, which should be better in concept just brings the lameness out a little more. - But I totally understand others dislike for the song. I have a good friend who is a pretty big McCartney fan, (he would be able to hold his own in these conversations) who says that by and far "Angry" is his least favorite McCartney song.

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

All this griping about McCartney should do this, or should do that, reminds me of something funny.

Occasionally I'll go back & read old album reviews or articles, for entertainment, sometimes for study, to refresh my memory about an album or period in an artists career, often as not, I'll read about the Beatles or a solo Beatle.

Anyway I remember back around 79 McCartney left Capitol for the first time, & signed with Columbia Records for a big fat 5 year deal for his releases in the USA, remember this was about 1979.

McCartney got millions for switching to Columbia ( back when millions was a lot of money !!!) All the press coverage about how he was past his prime wasn't selling records in high numbers anymore, it was a prestige signing for Columbia, getting the elder statesman of Rock former Beatle Paul McCartney of Wings !!!!

First album Back To The Egg, panned by the public & critics for the most part & they all crowed preening how smart they were in the music press, the presitge signing nothing more he was done commercially, just a nostalgia act,

Then Bam, McCartneys back with McCartney 2 & Coming Up, predicting Electronica a few years ahead of it's time. Then McCartney is jailed in Japan for weed ! Facing 6 years in prison ! Before the Japanese Government kicked him out with a warning to never come back !!! After 10 days in a a Tokyo Jail !Bad Boy McCartney is getting more press than anytime since his Beatles days ! Then Bam Lennon is murdered oh my God. The remaining Beatles convene for a day & quickly release Harrison's tribute song. Then McCartney returns with George Martin & Ringo Starr in tow, a year later with Tug of War in 1982. Hiis best album since Band On The Run or maybe since The Beatles or maybe ever !! A masterpiece crows the press.

I know Tug Of War helped me in the difficult aftermath of Lennon's murder. I felt like I'd lost a best friend or a world leader like Kennedy or Spiritual leader like The Dalai Llama, Pope or Martin Luther King.

Long story short, these same press writers, fans & critics go round & round every 3-5 years Tug of War has gone from masterpiece to Goat & back again I don't know how many times in the 40 years since "has been" & elder statesman Paul McCartney left Capitol for Columbia Records & that USA cash !

Tug of War & Band On The Run haven't changed !!! But every few years the old writers & fans, or worse younger ones, don't know or remember how many times we've batted this musical pinball back & forth across this same table !

I would've never imagined 40 years ago since The Columbia signing & Tug of War 35 & 40 years ago, McCartney would record & release Flowers In aThe Dirt, Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, A Beatles reunion ! Chaos & Creation, MAF, Electric Arguments, NEW hailed as masterpieces all ! Then turned to goats & stones & back again to wine, in the press, just like Tug Of War has been for decades now.

Talk about counting a guy out before his time !!!

I'm guilty just like those fans & critics I'm calling out for hypocrisy, fickle taste or faulty crystal balls.

Thank You Paul McCartney for continuing to make great works in difficult times, for Beatles & John Lennon fans like me, the millions of us, that got a little relief through terrible sadness & grief, and changing times where it got harder to find music we liked on the radio. I'm also a Big Paul McCartney fan. I know when I tease or complain about an album he's done, or questioning why this one is taking so long, it's out of fear of losing the guy, & simple impatience.

Anyway I hope he's got one more good album in him, & that his voice is still holding up under studio conditions, ( overdubbing, punch ins, pitch correction, ) to sing well enough to get it across, successfully to me, the public, the critics, so we can praise it mightily, before we turn on you again & tear down. Saying it didn't rock enough or have proper mastering applied. He should sell fries with that.

Paul call me, I'll tell you what you should do.

19. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Better Call Paul

theMess and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

We should start a message board where all the people agree with and enjoy everything an artist does and, consequently, each other. That sounds like fun!

Remember when he released Off the Ground?

Yeah.

That was great wasn't it?

Yeah.

I bought it day one.

Me too.

Glad he didn't leave any songs off or substitute any songs with other songs.

Yeah. He did it perfect.

I'm going to listen to it now.

Me too.

We should listen synchronized and start a thread where we talk about how much we love each song, song by song.

Yeah. Do it.

Yak. Bip Bop.

[Report] [Report] [Ban]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  21. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Continuing to lurk myself.

Not sure why we are announcing it...

22. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

lol I take it you don't mean the modern meaning of goat(greatest of all time).

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Where do I register???????

theMess, supermd, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Great post. I feel exactly what you said.

You also mentioned Run Devil Run in a previous post and about how much of an excellent ROCKING album that is. Interestingly, both Back To The Egg and Run Devil Run were coproduced by Chris Thomas, who knows a thing or two about rocking albums (from The White Album to early Roxy Music albums to the Sex Pistols to a number of Pretenders albums). So somehow, Chris Thomas is one of the few individuals who seems to be able to get Macca to pick things up a notch in the true rock department.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm not. I have no clue about anything.

Damn: it appears I just unlurked. Just thought I'd mention it :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.