Poll: Favourite Song on ‘A Saucerful of Secrets’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Got a Piper’s poll atm, and I’ve been in the mood for Saucerful lately. Honestly I think both albums are masterpieces, and that’s not a word I use lightly whatsoever. I adore Saucerful no matter what anyone else says. The atmosphere is off the charts, and the opening 3 songs on the album rank as some of my favourite Floyd songs. Unique and wholly underrated.

Only way this album could’ve been better would be if it included one of my other favourite Floyd songs, Paintbox. I went with Let There Be More Light as it is psychedelia at its very best, and psychedelia is my favourite genre. Vote based on album versions of songs. What’s your favourite song?

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Remember a Day" by far.

3. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Remember A Day. great song from Rick.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

My Avatar, of course. :)

5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

So little comments so far! Disappointing. I wish everyone else could understand how strongly I feel about this album. Surprised that even being one of their least known albums it’s still got Floyd in the name.
    Also Set the Controls is a close second for me. Seriously incredible. Remember a Day is one of Rick’s best, and I think most of what he put out are some of the highlights on each album.

Never understood the hate for this one. Fantastic, totally unqiue psych pop with fun lyrics,

6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

See-Saw followed closely by Remember A Day. Wish Rick had wrote and sang more. I agree Paintbox would’ve been a great addition, along with Julia Dream. Sometimes I may rank this album as my favorites from them.

7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Absolutely. Rick was an incredible song writer. See-Saw was my favourite when I was younger. Personally I don’t think Julia Dream would have fit in terms of sound, although I do love the song. I’d rank Saucerful very highly indeed.

8. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I don't see a masterpiece here at all it's a patchy album at best by a band in transition after losing it's most vital member

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I strongly disagree, but hey, that’s musical taste for you,

10. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

“Jugband Blues” simply because there really isn’t anything else quite like it in music. But, “Set The Controls..”, and “A Saucerful of Secrets” became astonishingly good when developed live. And “Remember A Day” might just be Pink Floyd’s most underrated song.

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Well, it's a choice between Set The Controls and Saucerful, and in the end I went with STCFTHOTS, but it's a close run thing. Having said that, I prefer the Ummagumma versions of both these songs. Saucerful, isn't an album I play that often, but when I do, it gives me great enjoyment, although Jugband Blues is obviously pretty messed up.

12. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Tough call. Remember and Day and See-Saw are my favorites of this album, very murky in a psychedelic sense but still somehow quite poppy. Went with the latter. There's a melancholy in both songs, so they never get too bright. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun is a close follow up. I love droning, desert-sounding songs like this with mystical lyrics. The opening song is explosive and enjoyable.

The only song I'm not that keen on would be Corporal Clegg. But as a whole, Saucerful is pretty much my favorite Floyd album.

13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

This line from "Jugband Blues" is interesting

And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
    That I'm not here

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I'd say it's a great album where the band is finally finding their footing, after Syd's demise. Not saying it's a masterpiece but it's well done imo.

Gotta for Let it Be More Light, heard somewhere that the opening minute was imprivused, but I could Be wrong.

15. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Yes, the album has a melancholy, dark atmosphere the whole way through for sure. Even Corporal Clegg is somewhat dark humour so it feels right within the album. I can understand why you wouldn't like Clegg, and many people don't seem to. For me the only low point is the title track, which is quite a low point given how long it is, but I still find it enjoyable and the ending is awesome. I love STCFTHOTS for the same reason but I've never heard anything like it. Would you have any recommendations?

andrewskyDE and Crimson Witch like this.
  16. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

The closest comparison for me is actually not from the psychedelic era; not off the top of my head right now, anyway. But there's a recent group named OM who makes drone-inspired long jams.

I'll probably remember something from the sixties or seventies later.

17. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Awesome. I'm in the mood for something like this. Thanks for sharing.

18. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Jugband Blues, Syd's Pink swan song

19. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

It’s illuminating as to his relationship with the rest of the band, that’s for sure.

20. This one’s easy: Set The Controls...

21. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I went with A Saucerful of Secrets, but this is based on the Pompeii version which I think is wonderful!

Zongadude and Crimson Witch like this.
  22. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Crimson Witch and zobalob like this.
  23. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Jug... followed by Set... like the album but don't love it... and after Piper, it's a pretty big step down...

zobalob and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Regarding the title track: It's been a while since I heard the Pompeii version but remember being blown away by it as opposed to the studio version which gets a bit draggy but is overall OK. Anyone agree with this sentiment?

Supposedly this was a part of the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour in its rehearsal stage. Imagine if they had played it!

Zongadude and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

As mentioned in the post, judge based on the album's version.

I'd agree with this. I think Set the Controls is almost as good as the studio version too. Love its length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.