John Williams says that Star Wars Episode IX is his last Star Wars score.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

2. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

John Williams to quit scoring 'Star Wars' films - NME

There are some additional quotes from Williams in this NME article. He says he hasn’t seen many of the films he’s scored, and considers some of the scores uninteresting.

People may find it surprising that he has little desire to listen to his old work, but I can appreciate where he’s coming from.

3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

He is getting up there in age. Over 80?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

Yeah, he's 86. :)

5. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Lazy bum!
    ;)

via_atx likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

Yeah, no work ethic there! :)

7. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

You mean he's never seen Daddy-O? He's missed out on Dick Contino slapping an apple demanding "I want an answer!" Did he write Rock Candy?

8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Well considering how Disney is milking Star Wars franchises now, it' be best for John to back out after the new trilogy is done IMO.

9. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

No kidding. The last one was so bad I'm not even interested in Star Wars anymore :cry:

via_atx, johnsiddique, Sordel and 5 others like this.
  10. PaulKTF

Have you seen Episode 1?

...Don't see Episode 1. :)

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Good decision, one of the worst soundtracks!

GodShifter likes this.
  12. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

Episode 1 is a masterpiece compared to the latest disaster.

13. 16s

16s Forum Resident

Whole heartedly agree!

14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I didn't see the latest film. I was invited to go watch it with a few friends back when it first came out, but I decided not to go and I regret it (for other reasons not related to the film). But anyways, I didn't actively pay attention to when I watched Episode 7 for the first time so I most likely wouldn't watch Episode 8 on my free time considering how I think the series should have ended after Episode 3 was made.

15. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I think the only times he listen to his scores these days is when he works on soundtrack reissues with companies like La-La Land Records (who do tend to get composer involvement/approval where possible).

Anyways this news is sad, but expected. Despite my love for his compositions, I have found his recent Star Wars scores to be quite bland and forgettable. The fact that there are far more hummable moments in the prequels than the sequel trilogy is troubling. Say what you will about the prequels as a whole, but I think most would agree that the scores were quite interesting and experimental; bridging influences from across the globe with great success. The sequel trilogy however sounds like he's trying to make it sound like the original trilogy, but without the energy he then had. A real shame.

coffeetime likes this.
  16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I recall seeing a interview with him where he was talking about having scored all 9 films and saying he didn't know of any other composers who had done so many movies in a series. guess he forgot about john barry and bond and even more so akira ifukube and Godzilla guess when IX comes out in 2019 Williams will have the longest time period between his first and last scores for a series one more year than ifukube.

any other series with 9 or more films by one composer out there?

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have two words for Sir John Williams and those are simply, THANK YOU.

John has provided so much movie and TV music in my lifetime, he is clearly my Lennon & McCartney's of "soundtracks". From those great season changing themes from "Lost In Space" to almost every great movie that have really mattered in my life, John Williams has been behind the scoring. At 57 years old I have no earthly use for new "Star Wars" movies anymore. The characters, the plots, Jar Jar Binks, just don't matter to me anymore, but, I will still listen to the soundtrack, just to see what John has done to even outdo himself and he often succeeds.

As an example, here is the finale of "The Force Awakens". To hear that great John Williams magic, one only needs to listen to the final minute of this piece and realize just how important, just a few of his simple notes, can stay with you forever and still tug at your heart. Just amazing ...

John, whatever you decide to do, soundtrack wise, my deepest thanks for all that you've already done!

18. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I think you need to go back and watch Episode 1 again. It must have been awhile.

19. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

I have been slowly showing my kids each movie in the series for the first time and we watched Phantom Menace about two weeks ago. I hadn’t seen it years and during the first ten minutes I thought to myself, “This isn’t so bad.”

And then Jar Jar came on the screen and it was every bit as bad as I remembered.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

*sniff*-*sniff* Iiii smell a boxxxx seettttt...!

...in 23 different flavors!

21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

As a 9-year-old in '77, was the perfect auduence for the film... waited in line opening day for both Empire and Return... interested in Phantom Menace when it came out, but not surprised at how awful it was... saw rest of trilogy, hoping for some redemption... no luck... avoiding new movies but must say, my 4-year-old has me watching and enjoying the Rebels cartoon...

MrGrumpy likes this.
  22. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

For the love of God, he's done more than 100 of them. Cut him some slack!

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Seriously, his scores for SW ep.1 and2 are genuine masterpieces in every respect.
    And his scores up to 2005 (War of the Worlds, Sayuri) show no clue of aging at all.

24. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Some one posted a YouTube video with a condensed orchestral score of "Star Wars (Main Title)". The person who created and input the condensed score comments that the piece is almost as complex as The Poem of Ecstasy (Scriabin). Practically no other movie soundtrack music has anywhere near this level of intricacy.

yasujiro and ribonucleic like this.
  25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

From SW ep.1, it is the incredible tour de force in composing for orchestra.

TLMusic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.