My Morning Jacket - Okonokos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Morning Jacket is one of my all time favorite artists and I was beyond pleased when they repressed their Live album Okonokos last year. Listening to it on vinyl right now with One Big Holiday effortlessly transitioning into I Will Sing You Songs is just pure bliss.

What are your favorite tracks from the album?

2. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Being my favorite album of theirs, the tracks off Z are the tops for me. Dondante, in particular.

It's great to hear the seeds of how they play some of these songs live now.

3. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dondante is one of my favorites as well. Have you heard the Live version from Celebracion De La Ciudad Natal? That version kicks serious butt as well

4. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Strange question and not totally related to your thread. But since you clearly follow this band: I have always loved the covers that My Morning Jacket does . I really like the lead vocalist's voice. My question: Have they ever put together an album of all their covers? They're scattered all over and I'd like them in one place.

5. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I saw them play the London Astoria (now demolished) on that tour and it's my fave live tour of theirs - great setlist from start to finish!

6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

wordless chorus
    i will sing you songs
    dodonte
    steam engine

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It may be the band’s greatest single release out of the whole discography. So yeah.

8. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Okonokos contains the definitive live version of Steam Engine. Hell, I'd argue that this take of Steam Engine might be the finest live Jacket performance ever professionally recorded.

Fans of Okonokos should track down "The Okonkos Project". It is a fan made compilation of all the released tracks from those shows, including the tracks on the DVD release which weren't on the CD, tracks from the record which weren't on the DVD etc. Also includes the tracks from the Okonokos bonus disc Acoustic Chorale, which by itself is ****ing amazing.

I'll never tire of listening to this record, but we are due for Okonokos II. Bring it on boys!!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I hunted a copy of the original 4LP set really hard when it was out of print. It was pressed by GZ/Pirates Press. I see the 2016 reissue has Chris Bellman’s initials in the deadwax and I’m thinking I might need to acquire a copy on principle. I wonder how the sound quality compares between the two.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I never compared the two, but the Bellman sounds nice EQ-wise. AFAIK, the album was mixed with very little dynamic range, so every version is pretty loud. I'm pretty happy with the Bellman cut.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

AvGoogle search only results in one link: this thread. :D I'm guessing that this project probably originates on an MMJ mailing list or private forum?

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Steam Engine

13. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I assume it was digitally recorded, so the source is probably the same, but I imagine the new one boasts some of that Bellman magic and maybe a better praising quality.

Frank Field likes this.
  14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

A Bellman cut sounds nice, but I really don't see how the original pressing could be improved upon. It's one of the most powerful and finest sounding live LPs I own. I never tire of tossing any of the records on and blasting 'em!

funknik likes this.
  15. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

That makes me feel better - quite encouraging. I may have to toss a side on and blast it right now!

fourfeathers likes this.
  16. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

"At Dawn"
    "Lowdown"
    "Xmas Curtain"
    "O is the One That is Real"
    "Anytime"

I love "One Big Holiday" but it's odd hearing it anywhere other than at the end of a show.

17. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

They just tore it up in Punta Cana. Played straight through their studio albums. Sounding as great as ever.

fourfeathers and seaisletim like this.
  18. seaisletim

Were you there? How great was that!?

19. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

It was incredible. The modern live version of The Tennessee Fire is so good. The OG feels like a lofi demo, and on its own is a nice sad drunken break up kinda album. But man, the turned up heavy slow burn of what they do with it now gives me goosebumps.

seaisletim likes this.
  20. seaisletim

I agree but I also think it only got better from there..

Portugal. The Man. and Spoon tore it up too

21. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Gideon into One Big Holiday. Also Dondante. Great album.

Stone Turntable and seaisletim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.