What was the impact of SGT PEPPER at the time it was released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

so..who cares who has so much songs on the album?....the question is...what was the impact......etc.....?...we didn't (or at least..I..didn't differentiate the separateness.....they were the beatles..they were a group.....and they were all together...sure..you kinda knew who sang what and stuff...but.......they were all a gang of them.....so for me..the impact of pepper..was....being a kid..walking around the streets..having an older brother and his friends..and hearing sgt pepper's outside of windows and open doors..around our neighborhood........that was a big impact on me.....some 5th or 6th grader or whatever i was.......i got some feeling from the times of that album..that we were all there together while it was happening..maybe that's the thing i got from summer '67..

Zeki and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Pepper hit the shelves one week before my 6th birthday. My mother bought the record the following September, she played it more than she played any of her other records (she was 31 years old then).
    I loved it and had all of the lyrics memorised before Christmas that year.
    :)

Carl80 likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Impact ?
    Was more into The Monkees in 1967.
    Did get MMT tour that year and some singles. Ironically the first Beatles album I bought was Abbey Road.
    Taped TWA album( too expensive).

Crimson Witch and Carl80 like this.
  4. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

For me..it was an album that you didn’t dance to...but listened to over and over again and with each play always more layers of the soundscape revealed.
    It was the soundtrack to my first experience with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
    Peace and Love!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. alexpop

Definitely stand out track "Lucy" first listen.Half a century later the high dog pierced note is appeal for the DJ sample generation.

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

A total submersible psychedelic straight through listen. It's impact was felt around the music world. Many imitators of pepper some actually really good but there is only one Pepper.

7. alexpop

Listen to Moodies /Days more now.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

A great trip Moodies/Days is indeed.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

A album that spawned a gigantic hit single. Ironically Pepper's only worthy hit tune being With A little Help From My Friends a cover by Sheffield's Joe Cocker, did alright.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’ve nevet seen anyone say that the most common reaction was bemusement. Looking at the film today, I can imagine having that reaction, but the British press was universally negative. The group at the time was regarded very highly by the press, and would have been given every benefit of the doubt. I’ve seen articles with many quotes from fans in Britain at the time most of whom thought it was garbage. No, I’m not going to look up articles and post them, but I’ve read them, and I am sure they are online.

Most telling in my view is that the US networks, who have always been much more concerned with viewership than programming quality, chose not to license it. That’s probably as much support as you need.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The Guardian:
    "Indeed, history records that the BBC's so-called reaction index – a number arrived at after quizzing viewers about what they had seen – scored its lowest-ever rating: 23 out of 100."

Fab furore: Is it time to re-evaluate the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour?

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thanks. I was just interested in the back-story. I didn't;t recall the press response being covered in the documentary. I remember fans talking about it, but not with anything approaching outright criticism.

14. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Those were the days, my friend....
    [​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, they weren't fans, they were critics and some 'non fans'. If you had bothered to look them up, you'd see that.

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Elton John scored a huge hit with Lucy

17. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Let's not get carried away.

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D No kidding. It's appalling. Lesser mortals would have had a career derailed.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I really enjoyed it when I watched the doc. on BBC. It clearly has a lot in common with the avant garde and independent art cinema of the day, which I am already well-versed in and have a long time interest in. No one's calling it a masterpiece but it was a brave and cheeky move that combined a daft and familiar comedic Britishness with the sensibilities (yes, in a somewhat dilettantist way) of the avant-garde. It's overall amateurishness is part of the charm.

I think calling 'appalling' is a bit strong.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm not going to cull it, but that's due to the music videos (which are great). The movie itself, again, could very possibly of cost an average pop star a career. My opinion.

I had heard nothing but negative things about it but, being a fan, couldn't imagine it really was that bad. Received the DVD as a gift a few Christmas' ago, popped it into the player with great anticipation...and just started laughing. In not a good way. I should have listened to all the other fans who'd given me ample warning.

22. alexpop

8 years after.

23. alexpop

Year? Never seen that pic before.

24. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I got through maybe a half hour of it when I finally saw it for myself.

Zeki likes this.
  25. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

And I Love Her hit #12 on the Billboard. It was nearly a Top 10 hit. The album had other singles too. Matchbox hit #17, I'll Cry Instead hit #25 and the rest fall below the Top 20. Rubber Soul really is the first U.S. album not to include any singles from it.

Culpa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.